grady white 30' marlin vs grady white express 33' 2003-2005

SteveK26

Reaction score
Im looking at these boats for sale and like them both I see the differences in size but the express is 30k more in most cases. Is it worth the extra 30k to go with express?

georgemjr

Reaction score
I've owned the 330 Express, then a Marlin and now a 330 again. For me it is worth it, but I use my boat as a home away from home and overnight with wife more than I fish. When I decided to go up to the 330 again, my wife stated "why, we can do everything on the Marlin that we used to do on the Expresss." which was true. But for creature comforts the 330's extra space is nice. It is also more comfortable with more people onboard due to the center helm and seating and it rides a little nicer. Fishability is actually a little better on a walkaround. Performance numbers are nearly identical. So, like what was stated, it depends on your desires.

Reactions: themikehyde

SteveK26

Reaction score
I don't think we would do much overnighting other than the occasional canyon trip We fish a lot and I like a baot that handles well Both are great boats but im hearing good and bad about both. Ty for the info!
I've owned the 330 Express, then a Marlin and now a 330 again. For me it is worth it, but I use my boat as a home away from home and overnight with wife more than I fish. When I decided to go up to the 330 again, my wife stated "why, we can do everything on the Marlin that we used to do on the Expresss." which was true. But for creature comforts the 330's extra space is nice. It is also more comfortable with more people onboard due to the center helm and seating and it rides a little nicer. Fishability is actually a little better on a walkaround. Performance numbers are nearly identical. So, like what was stated, it depends on your desires.

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
We have a 2009 330. We end up doing more bay cruising and trips than fishing, and it is a perfect boat with plenty of room. Having the cockpit ac helps too, but would do better with some sunshadiny around the enclosure ion the really hot days,

bea5454

Reaction score
Split the baby with a 305. Significantly more room on the 330 with extra foot of beam, but the Marlin/305 very manageable for single-handing. Marlin has additional foot of cockpit which is better for fishing, but I wanted to be able to have at least 4 safely at the helm when it gets ugly.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
If you are going to use it to canyon fish, get the 330.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Comes down to how you are using. If you use the cabin a lot, hands down the 33 is the boat. Cockpit areas about the same. Helm seating and amenities, size and ability to handle big seas 33. Walkaround with access to the bow 30.

kirk a

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I looked at both closely last year, found there was overlap in the prices as the years adjusted, but yes the express tended to be more expensive. As we got closer to making a decision, a couple of thoughts stuck - one was that the Marlin feels like a big little boat, and the express feels like a little big boat. Second was that it is rare for anyone to wish they had less boat.

After running the express for a year, I love the center helm set up. The boat has a great feel to it, though I'd love more power. It has proven to be manageable to run solo as the thruster makes it easier. One concern we had was bow access, but that turned out to be a non issue.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have a Marlin and fish on it and a 33 regularly. The cabin on the 33 is much larger/nicer in part because there is no walk around. Both are very comfortable fishing platforms in crappy weather.

The Marlin can be trailered easily with a 2500, that's a benefit for me as I can store it at my house off season.

I like the fishing layout of the older Marlin a little better. But whatever you are used to feels right. Also when you have 5-6 guys fishing, the walk around is super nice; also for tending the windlass/anchor in rough conditions the walk around is nice.

Lucky13

Reaction score
if you are going to do a lot of canyon fishing and overnights the 33 is the way to go. I love the center helm on the 33. You can find some good deals on an older model and then look to re power it. You will be happy with either, good luck