Grady White 330 Express Bow Thruster - Replacement

SeaHorseVI

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
We have a Grady White 330 Express 2007 (owned for 4 years). We've had regular issues with the bow thruster.

We fully replaced everything about 18 months ago, but still having issues.

Issues we've had:
1. The shear pin breaking - replaced
2. Prop fell off
3. Prop stripped out

With the shear pin breaking 2-4 times, and it is a pain in the butt to dig into it and replace it...we decided to replace it with a stainless steel pin.

New adventure is it has stopped working...again. The shear pin is intact, it turns on and spins...so getting power.

I'm guessing that the shaft is now broken...because the shear pin was stainless steel...and the shock transferred up the line mechanically speaking.

We have a second Grady White 330 Express 2012 (Owned for 6 months).

So wondering if there is a better bow thruster to install or if it is possible to upgrade to a different Side Power (Sleipner) model.

Have seen postings for a Vetus 55 12V or Vetus Bow Pro 761 Bow Thruster 12V.

Any input is appreciated!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I have a Vetus and it’s been flawless. If you switch tunnel size is going to be a big factor. Find out what you have then check Vetus models.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Very strange. I have the original Side Power that came with my 2003 330, and except for the time I stupidly ingested a line, it's been great. Is it possible you are reversing direction quickly? (I believe some models have a safeguard to prevent this, but I think sudden direction reversals can cause problems). I use mine almost every trip as I have a somewhat tricky dock.

SeaHorseVI

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I would not want to change the size of the tunnel.

Good to consider the changing directions quickly in how we use the bow thruster.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I would not want to change the size of the tunnel.

Good to consider the changing directions quickly in how we use the bow thruster.
Changing the tunnel is a big commitment. Don't jump in. Maybe find a Vetus that fits.

I fish on a few high end boats. Whenever we break anything on the boat or fishing tackle it's a NASA forensic analysis of what when wrong. I would pull the bow thruster and take a hard look at what failed. I have no experience with that thruster. See what part(s) failed. Then decide what you are going to do about it. And don't just count on the dealer service opinion. Question everything. Ask yourself "Do I know more about the problem than the guy I'm talking to?". Frequently the answer is "YES!".

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Changing the tunnel is a big commitment. Don't jump in. Maybe find a Vetus that fits.

I fish on a few high end boats. Whenever we break anything on the boat or fishing tackle it's a NASA forensic analysis of what when wrong. I would pull the bow thruster and take a hard look at what failed. I have no experience with that thruster. See what part(s) failed. Then decide what you are going to do about it. And don't just count on the dealer service opinion. Question everything. Ask yourself "Do I know more about the problem than the guy I'm talking to?". Frequently the answer is "YES!".

Great advice. Also I found that Sleipner / Imtra was extremely responsive when I needed to service my thruster. In fact I ended up sending the unit to them for the service. They should be able to help the analysis.

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
That's a lot of issues for a piece of equipment that rarely fails. these things go for years and years with only minor issues.

time to peel back the onion and figure out what's really happening.

crusties setting up shop in the thruster tunnel?
you replaced "everything" what does that mean to you? motor, leg, and prop?
who did the work? maybe they didn't do it correctly.

the leg is under a grand... i'd be swapping that out with a new prop long before i'd be glassing in a new tunnel- even if it was swapped out already.

Reactions: everwhom

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
I ask here to not open a new tread:

I go this Friday to see a 2008 330 Express and from the pictures I had sent I noticed this bow thruster installation what looks a bit odd to me.
Can someone confirm that this is standard installation from factory or if someone installed a aftermarket unit?

Thanks

Chris
Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-15 um 21.49.09.jpg

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Strangely - that's the standard factory installation. I think that weird chunk under the tunnel comes from how they molded the hulls so they could choose to put the thruster in or not later in the process. (i.e. the mold itself has the space for the tunnel and then they either complete it with the tunnel and that block or a piece that fills in the entire space).

Reactions: Sardinia306Bimini

Automated14

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I ask here to not open a new tread:

I go this Friday to see a 2008 330 Express and from the pictures I had sent I noticed this bow thruster installation what looks a bit odd to me.
Can someone confirm that this is standard installation from factory or if someone installed a aftermarket unit?

Thanks

Chris
Mine looks exactly like that. Mine is factory installed. I think it's done on purpose that way. for the life of me, I can't remember but I feel like that hump on the bottom is there for a reason.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Ok thanks to you too.
All bow thrusters I saw were glassed in, not a bow thruster yes or no solution.
Everwhom is probably right that GW could later decide to install the tunnel part or a closed part, makes sense to me.
I was just worried that someone made a DIY install as it looks "wired" but as it seems to be factory it will be fine.

I will go to see her tomorrow and I am very excited!

Chris

Fishtales

Reaction score
Wondering if the owner changed the zinc every year. If not, galvanic corrosion can really damage the unit.