Grady White Adventure 208 Wood Trim Pre-1997

bdubz06

Reaction score
Hello. I just bought a used 1993 Grady White Adventure 208. I am going to be working on it all weekend getting it cleaned up and ready for the fishing and crabbing season.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips to polish and condition the fake looking wood trim that goes around the boat? It looks like it might be wood, but I'm not sure. It is severely faded and oxidized. Does anyone have any secrets how to make it look new again?

Thank you in advance for all your help.

blackdiamond296

Reaction score
From the GW FAQ site:

How do I restore the look of my boat’s simulated wood-grain Duratrim?

On our older model boats, after years of exposure to the elements, the Duratrim simulated wood-grain trim may begin to fade. There is a product on the market called Penetrol that is excellent for restoring the faded Duratrim. Simply apply a small amount, allow to dry for a few minutes, and wipe off excess with a clean rag. You may need to repeat the process or allow the Duratrim to soak overnight if it is really weathered. Penetrol is available in most hardware and paint stores nationwide. If you have any questions about Penetrol or where to find it, call the Flood Company toll free at 1-800-321-3444.

.... I just used it on the 1993 Escape I bought and it worked well, my local marine supply store had the stuff.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Welcome. No 20 footer walkaround on the market with more to offer IMHO !

The Duratrim fake wood is fake wood, use no abrasives on it. Apply Penetrol, it brings the grain and luster back. Comes in quart cans which is way more than enough.

tibeachguy

Reaction score
Great Question. I bought a '96 209 Escape last summer. I had the same question. I have tried furniture polish and it looks good when it is wet but as soon as it dries it looks the same. I was considering trying to replace it with some type of poly. board like they use on the new ones now. Hopefully this post will save me from that. I am going to find some penetrol today!! I'll give it a good coat tomorrow and let you guys know how it turns out.

One more question: What does IMHO mean??

tibeachguy

Reaction score
BobP said:
Welcome. No 20 footer walkaround on the market with more to offer IMHO !

The Duratrim fake wood is fake wood, use no abrasives on it. Apply Penetrol, it brings the grain and luster back. Comes in quart cans which is way more than enough.

It is one heck of boat! Most people can't believe it is only 20ft. Even people who own other 20 footers. Grady-White took advantage of every in of space. It is also very versatile. I can take it 30 miles out or pull my kids in a tube in the ICW. I love it so far!

smontgomery

Reaction score
Bdubz:

You'll love that 208. Great boat and lots of it for a 20 footer.

IMO the DuraTrim was a bad idea from the start. I cleaned mine up and used the penetrol with mixed results. It was acceptable but that's about it.

This last winter, I pulled all the DuraTrim off, cleaned it up and painted it flat black. Krylon has a spray can product that is formulated specifically for application on plastic.

I love the look. It matches the instrument panel, instruments, radio box cover and the cuddy door vents. Lots of positive comments at the marina. I think it's the way to go. It was a piece of cake to remove and paint.

I have a few photos that I'll attempt to attach. Never done that here before. I'll use my web server at work. Try these links:

http://www.photograds.com/gradypics/ste ... im%202.jpg

http://www.photograds.com/GradyPics/ste ... ratrim.jpg

As you can see from the pic on the first link, I have one more piece of DuraTrim to paint under the helm seat foot rest. Convincing proof that the black looks much better.

On another note: If a previous owner has not done so already, make absolutely certain that you replace ALL of the (near or below waterline) plastic through hull fittings on your 208 with stainless. The plastic was a bad idea from the start as well. It turns to powder in under ten years.

The forum here is a terrific place to learn. Lots of very helpful info.

Enjoy.

striped bass

Reaction score
The other posts are correct. Penetrol is best and it works. Just applied four coats to the foot rails and they look just like new.

bdubz06

Reaction score
Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. I spent all day today polishing, waxing, and cleaning every square inch of the boat. It almost looks new again! I am going to think about replacing it with the trim on the newer 208's or painting it Black which looks really sharp.

Thanks again and I hope to have some pics up soon.

Take care.

Patsy Mac

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Penetrol is Gold

Just thought I'd chime in, I just used Penetrol this weekend on my 98 Islander foot rails, and it is awesome. Made faded to white fake wood look real again.