Grady White Craziness on the Hull Truth...

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks Guys for all those posts. I see that I am not the only one who has observed the phenomenon and marveled at it.

I think some people can appreciate another person's reasons for choosing something different than their own choice, and some others can't. Nothing new there I guess.

For our part, our Tournament 225 supported 4 adults and 5 kids for three days of incredible fun over the memorial day weekend, and i KNOW its the right boat for us.

I hope you all had a great weekend too, and thanks again :)

Mike

houlester

Reaction score
((Here Was my Final Decision))

Finally made a decision.

All the boats I mentioned in the thread were top notch. I decided to go a little bigger in my search. It ended with a decision between a Yellowfin 34 and the Grady White 336 Canyon. Both in my opinion were top notch boats. It was a difficult decision.

What it ultimately boiled down to for me was the comfort features of the Grady White. It is 1.7ft wider on the beam. The boat still topped out at 50 with twin 350s and will cruise comfortable in the 40mph range. Yes the yellowfin was better on the fuel economy but I felt the Grady made up for it on creature comforts. The seating at the center console was superior with triple seating with arm rests and twin live wells nicely positioned at counter height. The boat has a diesel generator that powers a chill plate controlled fish box in the rear capable of chilling below freezing which is especially nice because Bud Lights can be chilled to 22 degrees without freezing for the way out and for the way in keep the fish nice and cool. No more toting twenty pound bags of ice to the boat. The fish box was smaller than the Yellowfin but again made up for it because it doesn’t require ice so in fact ends up being slightly larger than you would think. The boat also has air conditioning at the helm and cabin. The cold air at the helm isn’t going to create ice cycles from my nose but it sure is nice to have on those 95 degree days trolling around.

I can’t see how you could bash anyone of these boats. Somebody said the Grady was a Mercedes of fishing vessels and I agreed. Not the fastest but a very well thought out boat for comfort and fishing.

I purchased the Grady White 336 from Quality Boats in Clearwater. A family run dealership that is a joy to do business with. The salesman Byron and the owner David were a huge help. The boat is being prepped now by Quality Boats at their Island Estates location with Simrad 12 inch displays, Simrad structure scan and transducer, Simrad Radar, Simrad VHF, and Simrad autopilot.

I want to thank everyone for all your input and suggestions. It really helped to have first hand knowledge and experience from all of you.

The poor fish don’t stand a chance now. Hope to see everyone trolling out in the Gulf and fishing the Gulf Stream down in the Keys.

Thanks Again,

John

alfa1023

Reaction score
You will be very happy with your 336. Sure, you can't win the speed race with the THT experts on their YF's, CV's, etc., but when you get to your destination, you won't need a chiropractor to fix your back.

A neighbor/dive buddy of mine has a 31' Bahama CC. He runs 50mph everywhere. Always beats me to the dive site with his load of divers. Last year, his crew bailed last minute so he went out with me on my "overweight, slow pig". On the ride back in from about 35 miles offshore, he slept the whole way in - I had to wake him up when we got to the house. And it was a typical GOM short nasty chop the whole way in. He couldn't believe that he didn't feel a thing.

Let the young guys have the go-fast CC's. Your GW will take care of you and when you are ready to sell her, there will be plenty of buyers.

THT is like so many forums these days. Lots of strong opinions and rudeness - amazing how people behave behind the hidden security of their keyboard.

Reaction score
a new 30+ ft Grady...maybe one day :roll: ... Congrats on buying an amazing boat!

I had read some of that thread... defiantly some Grady haters.

houlester

Reaction score
The Grady Haters are funny. I think they have to justify their monthly payments to themselves by bashing other peoples boats. I had the option to purchase any boat. I live close by Sarasota where Yellowfins are made. The Yellowfins are awesome boats just not for me. This video kind of explains why I purchased the Grady 336.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsm6YSNS25w

RUFcaptain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ever notice the double standard over there when it comes to Yellowfins? There's never a negative or non complimentary post, the price point of YF is simply not discussed ( higher than a Grady). Please don't take this as anti YF, I love those boats, but the double standard is ridiculous.

GSnyder

Reaction score
I also bought from Byron at Quality in Clearwater John. Cannot say enough good things about both. Byron is amazing - really knows his stuff.

We've got a 2004 Tournament 185 and love it. We bought three years ago after I had done a lot of research. We decided on Grady for a number of reasons - the top three would probably be safety, engineering and resale value. We paid a little more (and bought a little smaller) but will get it back on resale - we're looking for something a little bigger now with Byron and Quality of course!

In March my wife, daughter and I went to GradyFest in Ft Myers. I'm still amazed at the Q&A/suggestions/etc session the engineers held with owners. They took suggestions, feedback, comments - the process of continuous quality improvement blew me away. My background and work experience is electrical engineering with a communications specialization. I've worked directly with people from most of the big IT (Microsoft, Cisco, IBM, EMC, etc etc) and communications (telco, cable, wireless) companies in the country. I've never seen anything close to what I saw in Ft Myers. It shows in the way they continue to tweak the line. The Marlin 300 is a great example - the boat's been around since what - 1989? Grady continues to take owner feedback and redesign. Amazing!

It's no secret why these boats are so good.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
i read part of this thread and I need to reevaluate my entire life :bang I bought the wrong boat. One poster said watching the Grady running in the ocean is like watching a far girl run hurdles. The same guy then called them gas guzzling pigs. I am besides myself. Man I am wondering what other bad decisions I have made. Did I go to the wrong school? Should I have named my kids other names or should I have even had kids at all? Wait a minute did this guy watch fat girls running hurdles and if so when? Can I get a U Tube video of this?

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
When I was a younger man I drove a '66 Fairlane and my wife drove a Dodge Charger.
Now I have a Chrysler 300, wife a Suburban and a Grady. I guess I grew up.

nerd

Reaction score
It's funny - I'm new to the club, having bought a 20 year old boat (with newer power).

I also own a Mercedes, and it's funny how the perception of the crowd treats them both. When I bought my truck, all I heard was 'it's a status symbol' and it was 'living off reputation'. I'm an engineer, and have always had a deep appreciation for products that are well engineered. I'm willing to pay more if I can tell the extra work was put in during the design and engineering phase. I've heard the phrase 'over engineered' very often, and I've yet to see anything that actually qualified as 'over engineered'.

The irony is that both were bought with the same factors in mind. Safety, security, stability. I didn't buy a Mercedes because I wanted to impress the women (if I did, I was an idiot, since I bought it after I got married). I bought it because at the time, SUVs rolling over was all the rage, and MB was the only one who did extensive rollover testing and built reinforced roof structures.

The Grady was the same deal. I wanted a hefty, heavy, solid boat. The best part was taking my 8 year old son with me to look at boats. At the insistence of a surveyor friend (who is also anti-Grady), we took a look at a newer Pro-Line. 'No wood, no rot'. I could practically feel the boat flexing under my weight, and I'm not all that fat. We walked away and I asked him for his impression, and he told me the boat reminded him of a rental car we got on vacation. No frills and cheap, and plastic all around. I also took him to see our Grady after I had made the initial deposit. He liked it, and asked me how much more it cost than the Pro-Line we saw. When I told them they were the same price, he said 'really, why?'. My sentiment exactly; the boat was a good 10 years older, but the sturdiness was apparent from the second we stepped onboard.

And just like the Mercedes, all I ever heard about was how they were unreliable, coasting on reputation, built sloppily, horror stories about people who were massively unhappy with them. To date, almost 11 years later, I've only replaced wear items on that car and it has never let me down once. Of course, I take loving care of the vehicle, and don't drive it like a jackass. I plan to do the same with our Grady, and only hope it turns out as well as our MB did.

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I just went out on my first Contender yesterday, a brand new 35 foot with twin Yamaha 350's. Beautiful boat, very fast and stable but all the bull you hear over at that other site about these boats is bull. It was blowing east about 15 and the seas were 3 to 4 maybe, best we could do was 16 or 17 kts, anything more and the boat launched. My Marlin would run just as well if not better in those conditions. I was impressed with the ride in the followiung sea but most boats are good in a following sea. Certainly very fast and lots of fishing room but it was not what i was expecting.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
If you were to listen to the THT'rs you would think that a GW would dissolve about 3 minutes after you put it in the water! If you look at peoples sig lines you would notice that there are a lot of GW owners on there.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well.....I am a Florida guy and I have owned 3 Grady Whites in a row, all great boats, and yes I do think my Marlin 300 is the best boat in it's class available...the hell with the whinners, they are just jealous!

Pez Vela

Reaction score
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." comes from Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act III, scene II, where it is spoken by Queen Gertrude, Hamlet's mother. Gertie must have known grouperkng.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Pez Vela said:
"The lady doth protest too much, methinks." comes from Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act III, scene II, where it is spoken by Queen Gertrude, Hamlet's mother. Gertie must have known grouperkng.

remember, if you repetitively state your own opinion on the internet, then get other people to reference said opinion ("i heard that ..."); within three weeks it officially becomes a "FACT". By the Court's decree, said FACT in circulation for more than one year becomes "Historical Precedent" to be vigorously defended by the Knights of the Gofastboats. :mrgreen:

it's all entertainment1

RUFcaptain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
To summarize ...some Dude says GW sucks and only he knows because he's an expert. As far as I can tell the only boat he captains has a keyboard attached to it. :lol:

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
RUFcaptain said:
To summarize ...some Dude says GW sucks and only he knows because he's an expert. As far as I can tell the only boat he captains has a keyboard attached to it. :lol:

Agree with you 100%. He's an expert in fishing, but i guess he needs to improve his driving skills if he has/had a boat.