Grady White Customer Service Does it Again

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
I E-Mailed GW customer service yesterday asking them what they recommended to clean the armrests on my Pompanette Deluxe I helm chair. They're kind of grimy and I can't seem to get them to come clean with any of my usual cleaning materials. Here's the E-Mail they sent me today.

Hello Chris and thank you for your e-mail.

We are sorry to hear that your arm rests are difficult to clean. This
must evolve a break down of the material because most cleaning agents
should do the job. We'll send you a set of covers supplied by our vendor
that are actually installed over the current arm rests to give you a
like new look. The new parts should arrive within two to three weeks.

We hope this will be helpful and please let us know if we may be of
further assistance.

Best regards,
Customer Relations
Grady-White Boats

I have never had this level of customer service on any product I've ever owned in my entire life. It's the absolute truth. Nobody takes care of their customers like Grady White and I don't think I ever want to own any other brand!

TBone

Reaction score
Maybe I should have told them my transom was difficult to clean too :p :p :p :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

gerrys

Reaction score
Chris:
Only SEMI follow the instructions for the installation of the armrests as you can improve upon the installation. First, if you have any areas where the existing armrests have crumbled away you need to fill and smoothe them. First remove any loose and brittle material. Then fill the voids with a silicone sealant and sculpt it with a popsicle stick or similar so the contour follows the original shape. Allow the silicone to dry.

Before installing the new covers, apply a thin coat of 3M 5200 to the top and sides of the armrests. Be very careful as it can turn out to be a messy process. Install the armrests and apply the epoxy as stated in the instructions. Use duct tape or similar to "wrap" the armrests while the glue and 5200 is setting up. This will help maintain the shape of the armrest. When all is dried, remove the duct tape and apply a small bead of 5200 along the bottom edge of the armrest so as to seal the edge agains moisture entry. Allow to dry and your good to go.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome to the GW family! Your experience may be quite unusual, but NOT for GW customers. They have fixed several minor defects on my boat even out of warranty. Which reminds me - I need to send a thank you letter. :D

Southern Hunter

Reaction score
They sent me a brand new set of v-berth cushions for our 305 Express because our others were tearing at the seems....now that's what you call customer service! This is what will carry them past bad times, and keep people coming back for more! I know my next boat will be another Grady!

SlimJim

Reaction score
is there an e-mail address for customer service at GW?

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yeah, Jeff and the guys in service do a great job in very difficult conditions and a terrible economy. We also need to remember to ping the execs at GW from time to time to remind them one of the reasons we buy GW is for the service and support their team provides. Every company makes decisions on where to invest and with GW, I vote STRONGLY for them to keep investing in service and support!!

I sure wish things were better but they have kept up the support and I hope things will turn around later this year and get back on track. My 360 Express is 4 years old this summer and I keep waiting for the new GW 420 Express with quad Yamaha F350's to be announced.

I hear it will have triple queen size berths, a beam of 15 ft, AC helm with all glass windows and no eisingglass on the front 270 degrees, glass ports so you can see out from the cabin, a huge bow thruster with joy stick docking controls, run 60 mph at .8 mpg, and a range of 350 miles plus fuel reserves. That sound about right GW?? (just kidding, but I can hope, right??)

gw204

Reaction score
TBone said:
Maybe I should have told them my transom was difficult to clean too :p :p :p :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
sel,

if Grady gets several more customers for the 42 footer, they can support funding the molds and start fabrication of the boats. I bet the design work is finished.

You may want to help out the effort, find out from Grady how many orders they need to commit.

I doubt this year will turn around.

Perhaps 2010.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gw204 said:
TBone said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yea that's LAMO funny.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As I have mentioned

GW *does* monitor this board as well as THT.

All comments, both good and bad, are read by some of the GW execs. They recognize this as a tremendous source of feedback and a place where they can get candid opinions which may be difficult to obtain by any other means. Like all companies that build or sell ANYTHING they are feeling the crunch. The strong have and always will survive the tough times.

Here is my quarterly "don't drop the Marlin" lobby. :D

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
megabytes said:
Here is my quarterly "don't drop the Marlin" lobby. :D

Ditto (although who knows when I'll be able to afford a new one).

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I also know that GW monitors GG and I think thats a very good thing. Nothing better than continuous feedback from folks that have a vested interest in GW not only staying in business but prospering.

Having said that, one thing that I hope GW can address as part of the economic recovery efforts over the next year or two is to improve or rebuild the dealer network. I have had to resort to going straight to GW support as my local dealer has done everything they could to run us away the last few years. A number of my friends and folks I know will not deal with them anymore either.

The GW corp guys are great but I have to use a local dealer for hands on services that while very good, is not in their network. With boat sales off, few dealers will expand their lines but its one of "those issues" that somehow needs to be on someones list for 2010-2011.

just my .02 of course

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
NothingElse - take a look at the 41 ft Hydrasports Center Console, will take four motors to 1200 HP total, 23 deg deadrise, 12 ft beam.

http://www.hydrasports.com/mPhotos.cfm?mid=5342

I figure you won't see a Grady cc version till a few years years after the cabin model hits the water, being that you are a CC guy!
In case you can't wait!

gw204

Reaction score
megabytes said:
As I have mentioned

GW *does* monitor this board as well as THT.

All comments, both good and bad, are read by some of the GW execs. They recognize this as a tremendous source of feedback and a place where they can get candid opinions which may be difficult to obtain by any other means. Like all companies that build or sell ANYTHING they are feeling the crunch. The strong have and always will survive the tough times.

It's great to hear that they are monitoring these boards, but I think they are missing a trememdous opportunity to correct some of the past (and existing) issues identified by current owners, previous owners and yes, the bashers.

Take T-Bones transom issue for example. Failure of the trim and putty GW used to "seal" the cap to hull joint was a primary cause of his rotten core. He called the factory and was told they are still doing things the same way...but have added no-rot wood. News flash....no rot wood helps, but it's not the solution. Glass the freaking joint!!!! Finishing this area properly would go a long way to turning around the rotten transom reputation.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Brian, at least Grady is consistent, not a bulkhead nor stringer in the boat is glassed over.

Have to agree on the transom though, it's very exposed, not just to sea water wash but rain too.

And since when does treated wood not absorb water ?
If it absorbs resin, it absorbs water!

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I hear ya Brian. One can only assume they take notes and work to constantly improve their products. Recents changes that come to mind are bronze hull drains, taller windshields, larger fish boxes.

I have been lobbying for cleaner finish in the bilge areas. It comes down to cost-benefit but bilge finish is one area some builders have placed some emphasis. Some of the boating community beats GW over the head with this issue. I was very impressed with bilge finish on the Jupiter, Pursuit, and Robalo at the 2009 boat shows. GW is aware of the criticism so we will see where it goes.

As for dealer issues, I would not expect that to last very long. GW monitors customer sat from dealers VERY closely.