Grady White Fuel Tank

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
In regards to the 10 micron vs 2 microns.

10 micron is rated at 90 gph flow.
2 micron is rated at 60 gph flow.

I think the Yamaha engines from 200 to 250 hp use about 19-24gph max at wide open throttle.

Being that we don't run wide open, the actual flow is much less.

So, the rule most folks are running with is to change your 2 microns every 50-75 hours if you are concerned to be safe as the 60 gph has less margin in comparison to a 90gph at a 10 micron rating.

However, some folks are monitoring their fuel vacuum and finding that they are getting well over 100 hours with no sign of restriction of maximum vacuum per engine specs.

I changed mine every 50 hours for first season, and now run to 75 hours and no issues.

I also pulled the fuel senders and shine a flashlight down and view the debris in the bottom of the tank and compare that with what is in the clear fuel filter bowl and use that as a determining factor on how soon to make the change. If I find a lot of grit in the fuel bowl site glass, I change it at that point. Mostly, the bowls are very clean.

gulfcoastangler

Reaction score
Just had a guy that does fuel tank polishing clean my diesel tank. He used a pump with two lines one suction that went to a filtration system that he kept moving around tank and the other sent fresh clean fuel back to tank after filter. He did this for about 30 minutes on a 15 gallon tank and when he was done there was chunks of black stuff and pieces of wood that came out. He will be doing my main tanks next could not believe what came out. Maybe this would help.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I have heard of this for diesel fuel before. Seems their filtration system from the pumps to the tank don't always get changed timely and fail to filter out the junk. Dunno, but that is what it sounds like from others over time.

For my previous boat and this one with 2 tanks, I have pulled the fuel sender a couple of times and when I did, you can see very clearly down to the bottom if not full of fuel and see how much debris in there. In every case, you could see some small particulates, about the size of some sand, but very little that the filters will remove when it is sucked up. Some of it never gets sucked up, thus why it is still there.

For 10 micron down to 2 micron, I don't think we can see the particulates that are that small, or at least not by looking into a tank. Maybe someone else would know better how big 10 or 2 microns are, but pretty sure others in the past mentioned too small to see easily. The larger chunks cause other issues such as clogging the fuel tank check valve and if contamination keeps coming into the tank, the filters are next.

Getting fuel from a reputable station that pumps a lot of fuel should help ensure cleaner fuel from a run down station for example.

Good example is one station that provided Ethanol Free fuel....each time I tried it, the pumps were not working very well. Eventually, they went out of business. So, all that time folks were pumping fuel, do you think they were changing their filters? Of course not. They didn't care and over time, I bet folks were figuring out they were getting contaminated fuel so went elsewhere. It is a shame we have to figure this out the hard way sometimes.

jklangen99

Reaction score
My mechanic had my motor opened up today and said a brown material had partially clogged the filter in the VST. I pumped out most of the gas that was in the tank using two different filters and there was not much gunk in the combo fuel filter water separator. He is going to tilt the boat up and drain the rest. He does not think junk is getting past the filter. So where is the stuff coming from? One of my buddies is a maintenance shop expert for a large company and the only thing he can think of is deteriorating hoses. I did use ethanol based gas (never again!) and I have read elsewhere that stuff is hard on hoses. Thoughts?

jklangen99

Reaction score
Parthary - those seat covers look great. I think mine have zippers but I have a snap tool as well. Where did you get them?

exudedude

Reaction score
jklangen99 said:
My mechanic had my motor opened up today and said a brown material had partially clogged the filter in the VST. I pumped out most of the gas that was in the tank using two different filters and there was not much gunk in the combo fuel filter water separator. He is going to tilt the boat up and drain the rest. He does not think junk is getting past the filter. So where is the stuff coming from? One of my buddies is a maintenance shop expert for a large company and the only thing he can think of is deteriorating hoses. I did use ethanol based gas (never again!) and I have read elsewhere that stuff is hard on hoses. Thoughts?

That was your mistake you washed the years of crud that built up in your tank. Get a professional to clean your tank and haul off the fuel in it. It is not that expensive unless you are full. If that's the case just get the tank cleaned and the fuel polished and burn up that e10 as fast as you can. Refill with real gas (rec90) they call it here in Fla. As long as you burn regular fuel you can just use the 10 micron filters. I learned the hard way and it blew my OX66 that had 2600 hrs. But hey I have a new Etec on the back.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
jklangen99 said:
Parthary - those seat covers look great. I think mine have zippers but I have a snap tool as well. Where did you get them?

They are full cushions....not covers...all you have to do is add snaps....they intentionally leave them off so you can line them up with the snaps on your chairs.

Any GW dealer can order them...I use Vero Marine for my parts orders. GW had them in stock and they were dropped shipped directly from NC to me via UPS.

fishin trip

Reaction score
perko makes an adapter that will raise your fuel fill up off gunnel three eights of an inch, its easy to install.the new boats have it or slanted areas at fill area.these perko fuel systems vent through this area and can draw water into tank.Also check your o ring on your fuel cap regularly.Harbor Freight sells a hand pump that sells for around nine dollars that works good for pumping water out of tank,you just have to use something to hold suction hose straight.I finally won my battle of water for years by installing the perko adapter

jklangen99

Reaction score
Talked to my mechanic again and he thinks the junk in the VST is from last year when he replaced the fuel pump and didn't completely flush everything out. He can't figure out how he left junk in there but he says it is not hoses since it was brown and not black. They are going to cut me a break on the service as a result. He pumped the remaining gas out of the tank and said there was a fair amount of trash in it. I have a ethanol free gas station that stays pretty busy so will be using that exclusively from now on!

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Ok well I'm impressed that the mechanic took the blame..and is eating some of the labor charge to make it right.
If I read it right he's acting on what probably caused the problem not being 100% if its something he should have found or something else.
Anyone else would have let go as you've got debris in your tank, its going to cost this much and its on you to figure out how it got there.
I'd be inclined to keep'em as my mechanic and refer him to others. Honesty can be smart for business after all. :goodjob