Grady White Journey 258

vinoaddict

Reaction score
I am looking at the Grady White Journey 258. I prefer dual engines-- are dual 150s sufficient power for this boat?

Also, I live in South Florida, so an air conditioner (for offshore use) is a priority. I notice that AC is an option, but assume that is only for inshore use. How much do after-market AC units run, and are they good enough to keep the cabin below cool?

Any comments on the Journey 258 would be appreciated.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
We bought our Islander 270 new with a single 250HP OX66. After 465hrs, we repowered with twin F150s. We now have almost 1100hrs on the twins, and I think they are just fine - and our 270 is a bit bigger and heavier than a 258.

As to the A/C, I don't think it was ever a factory option - certainly wasn't on the 270. I installed a Mermaid Marine Air 6,500-BTU Reverse Cycle unit, and it cools the cabin enough to hang meat.

Brian

reelbeliever

Reaction score
I have a 2006 GW Journey 258. Mine is powered by a single F250. Performance is very good, 40+ miles an hour top speed. Cruises at 28 using about 10 gph when conditions are good. Twin 150s provide better maneuvering. Performance may not be much different as you have the added weight and drag of two engines for the extra 50 horsepower. Performance reports should be available up on the Yamaha web site.

I love this boat. It's a real fish catching son of a gun. Seen here is a 30 pound striper I caught last Tuesday. The live well keeps bunker in prime condition and the fish box is a good size. I have gotten several of these bad boys in there at one time with no trouble.

-rb

Attachments

• June Striper.JPG
    June Striper.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 1,764

cletus9000

Reaction score
I also have a 258 with the single 250. It is enough power for the boat for sure, so you'd be fine with the twin 150s. If given the choice for my boat, I would take a little more power as it takes a handful seconds to get on plane with my engine, but once there you're fine. Maneuvering at the dock would sure be easier with two screws, but is doable (if not always pretty) with one.

bc282

Reaction score
going with a single new yami v6 F300 would be great IMO. Even the v8 F350 would suit well and that engine sounds fantastic!
i would also like a pair of 175hp twins better than the F150's but yami doesn't make 175's, so you might consider suzukis.

Personally, i'd choose a F300 or F350 single over twin F150's, but first choice would be twin 175's.