Grady White Journey 258

vinoaddict

Reaction score
I am interested in the GW Journey 258. I have gone back and forth for some time. I have looked at bay boats (20-24 ft range) and Grady Whites (25-31 ft). Ideally, I would like a bay boat, because that is the type of fishing I enjoy most. But in the end I think I need a more family-friendly boat (something with a porta-potty, cuddy cabin to get out of the bad weather, etc.-- I would really like an AC, but that is an entirely different class of boat). The Journey 258 seems to be an ideal fit in this regard-- the price range is good, the draft is only 20 inches which would seemingly allow for inshore fishing, and it also provides for some of the family conveniences.

I have searched the web but have not found too much out there on this boat. Any input would be appreciated.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I am not a 258 owner but I have looked at them. I have a 228 with a hard top and I like to wet a line inshore and on lakes every now then. Here is the rub. The hard top, cabin and such has a lot of windage. If you are a real serious inshore guy you may become frustrated with fishing off the stern on breezy days. Trust me you will not wanr to run your Grady in 25 inches of water at speed much less 20 inches. A light wirfht bay boat with a jack.plate is an entirely different beast than. 258. You likely know this to be true and I.mean no offense. It seems to.me you have a gut check of sorts. Do you truely want a bay boat for skinny water fishing or do you want a coastal.boat that sort of can skinny water fish.k If money was no option for me I would have 4 or 5 boats for the different boating we do.lol. Good luck...if I could have one or ther other I vote 258.

vinoaddict

Reaction score
Thanks. I think you hit it on the nail. Really want a bay boat but trying to find a "compromise." I love Grady Whites, just wish they could go shallow.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What Bob said. I like to have 3' of water under me in the bay. Less water than that and I take it slow. That said I love my 258. Perfect boat for me.

cletus9000

Reaction score
I have a 258, and really like the boat. There is no way I would trust it in 20 inches. Anything less than 3ft and I get very nervous and go along at a crawl. By no means is the 258 best suited for super skinny water fishing like a variety of bay boats are. I fish the Chesapeake, and employ a variety of techniques from 15 rod trolling spreads, to light weight jigging, to fishing bait. The boat is a great choice for being able to do lots of different things. It is not, however, an ideal year-round jigging boat. A center console is much, much better set up for this kind of fishing. You will find it difficult to get casting angles to be at their best, due to the cabin/hardtop being in the way and sometimes some issues with the wind/current given how big the boat is in and out of the water versus a smaller center console. Proper boat control in tight fishing conditions and getting the most effective drifts took me some time, but have it done pretty good now. I sure like the cabin, full enclosure, and hard top when it's below freezing on December mornings. I used to own a 19 ft CC, and my girlfriend much prefers the 258. So do I for that matter, especially when the chop builds and I don't even have to slow down in the Grady. That said, some days it would be easier to fish off the old CC. It all depends on what your priorities are, and you have to remember that no boat is perfect for everything and is a compromise on some important factor(s).

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If you like the 258 walkaround, but want bay boat why not consider GW 208 Adventure. Same walkaround design, can come with or without hardtop, but is 20 ft and has 15" hull draft. Great size for bay and coastal fishing.

joan

Reaction score
Model
Journey
Have you found your journey? we are selling our 2007, twin 150s about 230 hours. Beautiful boat, excellent condition. In the FL keys, great in back water with chop (pretty skinny) and in ocean side deep water fishing.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Have you found your journey? we are selling our 2007, twin 150s about 230 hours. Beautiful boat, excellent condition. In the FL keys, great in back water with chop (pretty skinny) and in ocean side deep water fishing.
This is now an 11+ year old thread and the original poster hasn't been back since October of 2012. I'm hoping that they found a boat during that time, whether it's a Grady White or not. My advice would be to try posting the boat in the For Sale/Wanted section of the forum with some pictures, a price and so forth. Good luck!