Grady White Overnighter bulk head

TG in GHS

Reaction score
Hello all;

I am the proud new owner of an '88 Overnighter. I bought the boat that hasn't been used in a few years (about 5) and although not a big fixer-upper, there are some areas that need attention. My question is in respect to the bulk head. The vinyl or leather bead that somewhat 'seems' the bulk head and keeps it dry has rotted and I see 'rot' coming out from the bottom. I am assuming that this isn't a good thing but wanted to hear if anyone has experienced this and the best way to seal or correct the problem.

Thanks.

Thom in Charleston, Sc

derx2

Reaction score
The bulkhead is ¾ plywood overlaid with a formica/laminate type product that has a woodgrain tone to it.
Most likely the ‘core’ plywood is rotting out on the bulkhead, leaving the outer shell of the formica/laminate product. I have ‘repaired’ my bulkhead door by removing it and removing about ½ of the rotten core at the lowest edge. I then mixed up some thickened resin to seal and fill the lower edge. If most of your bulkhead is rotten at the bottom, you most likely need to remove the pieces and begin using them as templates for new ones. Its mostly held together with Philips head screws. There are a few materials to select from. A temporary fix might be to overlay the bottom edge with an 1/8” x 3” aluminum strip and seal it with caulk.

Reaction score
I'm doing the same think with mine. I'm having trouble finding something that matches the wood grain

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I removed and replaced my cabin bulkhead material on my previous Grady Seafarer, and will do the same with the Offshore model I have now. Actually was not that difficult. Removed bad pieces and traced them on new material, coated with epoxy, especially edges, and topcoated with spar varnish. I used Miranda type exterior plywood, purchased from a local boatbuilding supply company http://boatbuildercentral.com/ . I was going to use King Starboard instead, and may use that for my current boat. Miranda plywood was around $60 for one sheet, and King Starboard is $200+, but no upkeep needed for the starboard. One 4x8 sheet will do complete bulkhead.

Another thing, take the vinyl beading and throw it away. All it does is trap water & trash on the bottom of bulkhead. When replacing material, be sure to keep bottom of new material 1/4" or so above deck.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i had a couple of spots around the screw holes at the bottom of my bulkheads that were soft. I bought a peice of teak about 1/4" thick and about 3" wide. Installed it with longer screws like a baseboard at the bottom of bulkhead. Has held up very well and has been in place at least 15 years.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
I replace the bulkhead and all the teak trim with starboard on all the Grady's I've had. Just an idea if you're interested, its maintenance free and you never have to worry about it rotting out again.

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Somebody should pattern the bulkheads and then get one of the Starboard people here or on THT to start making "kits" to replace them.

jbrinch88

Reaction score
I'd be able to make them if anyone is interested. I've done it on an overnighter, few seafarers, and now I'm deciding whether or not to do it on my 24' Offshore. Unfortunately I never made a template, I'd need the original bulk head I guess.

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'll be doing my 24' offshore pretty soon and will make a paper tracing for anyone that may need it.