Grady White & Racoons

DenisO

Reaction score
Cruising three miles offshore in our '87 Tournament 22, felt a brush, looked down to see a large racoon drop out from behind the steering wheel console...Freaked out my wife...Was able to launch it off the back gunnel with the boathook and last I saw, it was paddling away (A week later I heard a friend at the yacht club talking about the racoon they saw swimming a mile offshore.)

Looking nunder the wheel, saw how it got in & out. Will jury-rig something.

seasick

Reaction score
I had to jam in metal mesh under the gunnels to prevent critters from getting into the cabin. I used the diamond hole aluminum stuf that is sold at Home Depot for making grill covers for home radiators.
The trick is to make a cardboard filler through trial and error that fits the opening. Then cut the mesh about 3/8 inch wider than the template and jam it into the opening. So far so good after 2 1/2 years

Marty grady 272

Reaction score
Don't blame it on the Grady. Racoons will bed down anyware safe near there food source. Make sure that any food that is kept onboard or in the near vacinity ( trash cans etc ) are securly closed and locked. Racoons are very good at opening food containers.

seasick

Reaction score
Raccoons will chew anything not just food. We have had boat cushions eaten, as well as wires and the rubber switches on the breaker/switch panel

Heavy Duty

Reaction score
My problem hasn’t been with raccoons....yet. But the kitty cats figured out how to get into the cabin and make a nice little home. I wouldn’t have a problem with that except there is cat hair all over the cabin and they were not paying rent. So what I did was get some plastic soft drink bottles and stuff them up under and between the gunnels and the cabin. To get the bottles were you need then you have to get on your back and work them in nice and tight so they cannot be moved by little paws. It make take more then one soda bottle to get the job done. So far no more free loaders :lol: .

HD