Grady white seafarer 228 live well

BRK5412

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just bought a Grady white Seafarer 228 and was wondering why the Livewell fills up on its own while I’m fishing. Is it the scuppers in the back? Water comes up through the self bailing scuppers in the back as well

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The livewell is fed through a through-hull with a scoop that forces water into the livewell at speed, if you do not have the seacock closed. It is mounted on the through hull and is usually controllled with a push-rod near the transom. It is accessed by removing the rear seat. Mine is on the starboard side but could be different on yours depending on previous owners choice.

Reactions: Ryhlick

BRK5412

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks alot. I’ll check that out. Also do you get much water coming back up through the self bail scuppers?

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I do not, but check your scupper flaps. They may be missing or stiff and curled from age. If you get new ones, they are more flexible and will seal better when water pushes on them. Those flaps though are not intended to be watertight, only to prevent real flow back into the cockpit like will happen if backing down hard, especially in a sharp chop. Look at the water level in comparison to the drain outlet when sitting static. If the through-transom fitting is below water you may have a weight problem like your Gil bracket is full of water, too much heavy stuff stowed aft, water-logged transom, or a combination.

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The scuppers on the 228 are very low. When on plane nothing should be coming in though. However, at rest or low speeds, especially if you have some weight in the back, you might see some water creep in.

BRK5412

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ya they are curled a bit. The boat is an 07’. In almost new condition. Rides and runs awesome. The boat dealer mentioned scuppers with a ball check valve in them but am still looking into that. There is a 9.9 kicker on the starboard side which seems to let more in. You’ll get wet feet tho

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My boat is a 2004 GW 228 Seafarer of which it doesn't have the kicker motor like yours does, but on my boat the opening for the livewell is underneath the port side seat compartment. There's a little rod in there with a black plastic ball on the top that says "livewell" on it and pulling it up will open the clam shell type of scoop underneath the boat to pull in water to the livewell. On a side note, how much water are we talking about being in the livewell? My boat actually didn't have a rubber scupper flapper on the rear for the livewell but it didn't allow water to come back in. I bought 3 of the 1.5" Perko brand rubber scupper flappers from my local GW dealer as the ones that came on the boat when I bought it would allow water back in the rear of the cockpit area when I would stand back there or you'd have multiple people standing back there.

BRK5412

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
My boat is a 2004 GW 228 Seafarer of which it doesn't have the kicker motor like yours does, but on my boat the opening for the livewell is underneath the port side seat compartment. There's a little rod in there with a black plastic ball on the top that says "livewell" on it and pulling it up will open the clam shell type of scoop underneath the boat to pull in water to the livewell. On a side note, how much water are we talking about being in the livewell? My boat actually didn't have a rubber scupper flapper on the rear for the livewell but it didn't allow water to come back in. I bought 3 of the 1.5" Perko brand rubber scupper flappers from my local GW dealer as the ones that came on the boat when I bought it would allow water back in the rear of the cockpit area when I would stand back there or you'd have multiple people standing back there.

BRK5412

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks. That handle was pulled up so I bet that was the problem. It would fill up pretty far. And I do believe I need new flaps on the scuppers. When fishing your shoes can get a I little wet sometimes but on plane it goes away

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks. That handle was pulled up so I bet that was the problem. It would fill up pretty far. And I do believe I need new flaps on the scuppers. When fishing your shoes can get a I little wet sometimes but on plane it goes away
No worries. And yes, I'd be willing to bet that was likely your problem for the livewell as well as the button for the livewell or wash down pump could've also been on at the same time. But I'd definitely make sure that there are A. Rubber scupper flappers installed on the outside transom of the boat and B. That they are new/newer and maintaining their rigidity as I had the same issue last October after just having purchased my boat. I'm a bit more of a girthy fellow, as is my uncle, and when either of us would stand back near the stern last fall you'd have some water puddling or pooling up and then it would flow out when you'd walk back up to the helm. I got 3 of the 1.5" Perko brand rubber scupper flappers from my local GW dealer, and I'm sure you can probably buy them online for less, of which after installing those that fixed the issue of water intrusion into the cockpit area.