Grady White Tournament 192 Soft Spot in Floor

NHAngler

Reaction score
I may be making a long drive to look at a 1999 Grady White Tournament 192 for sale. Owner seems very honest and shared with me that the survey he had done 4 years ago came up with a soft spot in the floor between the captains and passenger seats. He said that the marina he keeps it at has been monitoring this by putting a weight in this spot to see if it progressed. It has reamained the same according to him but did want to mention it.

Question is that soft spot. I am well aware of the either huge cost of fixing something like this or the possible hundreds of hours it may take to fix it. Also aware that if this was from water intrusion that there is likely even more work and concern (having to find a leak + wondering how long it was like this for?). Is there any way to tell without cutting open the hull?

Otherwise it sounds like a clean boat that has not been used much.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
A soft spot is deterioration, and should have been repaired when first detected. Complexity of repair depends on location. If it's in the fuel tank cover, it's no big deal since the process would be the same, big or small. Make an offer contingent on the owner having it fixed. If he won't, then submit an offer reflecting the cost of repair (plus a hassle factor). If he won't do that, move on.

:uhm If it's in the structure of the cap, itself, go elsewhere. You could be looking at a few bucks, or dealing with a defining moment in your finances ...