Grady White Vinyl

eppem

Reaction score
Wise Co is the way to go..they exactly how much and of what you will need. They also carry the GW logo for the center bolster if you want to keep the look.

Tip - order extra. My experience with Wise was good but they moved a little slower than lets say most of us are used to!

EPPE

mashenden

Reaction score
eppem said:
Wise Co is the way to go..they exactly how much and of what you will need. They also carry the GW logo for the center bolster if you want to keep the look.

Tip - order extra. My experience with Wise was good but they moved a little slower than lets say most of us are used to!

EPPE
Wow, that is the understatement of the years :) I called Wise over a month ago. Immediately sent them info via e-mail, as requested. I did receive a follow-up e-mail with questions on details I had already provided, but still nothing definitive about what and how I need to order it.

I may have to break down and go the non-logo route. Seaquest vinyl is getting harder to find, but Seabrook is more readily available.

Can anyone confirm that Seabrook Sea Shell is the closest match to the Grady color, which was previously noted as being Seaquest Sea White?

mboyatt

Reaction score
Look at a sample and if you like it, then go for it. Don't chase an exact match. What's the point? Especially if you are having all the vinyl replaced. The installer can recommend a close match. When I redid all of,mine, I learned to just let it go. What the installer recommended came out awesome. Looks better than Grady factory. I went local shop that works on boats. Well,worth it.

mashenden

Reaction score
mboyatt said:
Look at a sample and if you like it, then go for it. Don't chase an exact match. What's the point? Especially if you are having all the vinyl replaced. The installer can recommend a close match. When I redid all of,mine, I learned to just let it go. What the installer recommended came out awesome. Looks better than Grady factory. I went local shop that works on boats. Well,worth it.
My intent is to solve this for the do-it-yourself-ers. I would not worry if I was having someone else do it. I did my own for my Seafarer and they looked awesome and was cheap. Now I want to do the same on my Sportsman, but this seat has the logo.

Also I am doing some but not all of them, so I would not want mismatched cushions. I want to be sure before I order.

I initially posted my latest question before I had all of the samples. Since then received a good selection of samples from both Seabrook and Seaquest, but as luck would have it, not Sea White (again - it seems to be getting harder to find). I have not been to the boat again since getting the samples.

No worries if nobody knows for sure. I will figure it out and post it when I do.

seasick

Reaction score
Re:

ktcarter said:
this web page says the Grady color is "Sea White" http://www.glfi.com/vinylbook_seaquestpage.htm
There are two colors that are close. I don't see colors all that well so either one was good for my bolsters. The other vinyl cushions may be faded also. What is important is to make sure you get the same color for the pleated and the non pleated if you are going to replicate the originals. You can also buy the welting color matched. Note that the bottom of the original bolsters has a mesh material. That is needed to help drain and dry out any moisture that gets into the foam. Here is a link to the Sailrite web site
http://www.sailrite.com/Phifertex-Plus-Mesh-Sand#

When I did mine, I had to order from four different companies to get everything. (I replaced all the foam too)
It is not advised to use stainless steel staples although most folks do since they are easy to find. The problem is that they are not recommended for marine environments. You should use monel and that is a bit harder to find and more expensive.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I apologize if this was mentioned earlier in the post, I only skimmed through. But I saw talk about the GW emblem and wanted to add what I did when I had my Sea Ray Sundancer re-upholstered. My upholsterer (who is fantastic) does not have the capability to reproduce factory logos, but he recommended a local sewing shop that could. I took a swatch of vinyl from the upholsterer to the sewing shop. I had to pay a set-up fee since they didn't already have the Sea Ray logo on file (I think it was all of about $15). After that, depending on the size logo I wanted, it was about $12 per logo to have them sewn on to the 3 different pieces. Had them back in about a week and then dropped them off at the upholsterer.

seasick

Reaction score
DennisG01 said:
I apologize if this was mentioned earlier in the post, I only skimmed through. But I saw talk about the GW emblem and wanted to add what I did when I had my Sea Ray Sundancer re-upholstered. My upholsterer (who is fantastic) does not have the capability to reproduce factory logos, but he recommended a local sewing shop that could. I took a swatch of vinyl from the upholsterer to the sewing shop. I had to pay a set-up fee since they didn't already have the Sea Ray logo on file (I think it was all of about $15). After that, depending on the size logo I wanted, it was about $12 per logo to have them sewn on to the 3 different pieces. Had them back in about a week and then dropped them off at the upholsterer.
Very cool...

mashenden

Reaction score
mashenden said:
eppem said:

EPPE
Wow, that is the understatement of the years :) I called Wise over a month ago. Immediately sent them info via e-mail, as requested. I did receive a follow-up e-mail with questions on details I had already provided, but still nothing definitive about what and how I need to order it.

I may have to break down and go the non-logo route. Seaquest vinyl is getting harder to find, but Seabrook is more readily available.

Can anyone confirm that Seabrook Sea Shell is the closest match to the Grady color, which was previously noted as being Seaquest Sea White?
Allrighttttyyy then. This has been going on since mid-June, but I finally got Wise to respond and after clearly stating I wanted skins with the GW emblem on the front side and aft side of the seat back (like when it was bought) and sending a picture, I placed an order. The order arrived yesterday - no emblems!!! :bang

When I called Bob at Wise to remind him of the conversations and e-mails, and reiterated that the whole idea of going with Wise was to get the emblems, he sounded genuinely surprised that I was unhappy with the outcome... as if I should have been glad they even did the work. REALLY!?!?!? Why do so few people pay attention to details anymore? I mean really, why would anyone go to the trouble and time to get these from Wise if they did not want emblems???

Knowing what I know now, I would have found someone locally to sew in the emblems or not worried about the emblems, and then made them myself.

Unbelievable.