Grady White's and GOM don't mix well

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Smoky:

I agree they do stack up well overall against other models. I am on my 3rd Grady..they are the best boat for me.

Another aspect of this wave-thing I didn't mention was the pilot(or passengers) conception of wave height. Many,if not most times, they are over-estimated. It's like the fish that got away: the heights get exaggerated in the re-telling. Plus, when your standing in the cockpit, looking at them, they look taller than they are.

For example, watch surfers from the beach as they ride in a breaking wave. The curl, the thunder..it looks big, but measure the surfer's height against the wave behind him..Most times they are below 6 feet when they look like 8 footers. Here in the Gulf, 6 footers don't happen that often except behind winter cold fronts and tropical systems. Even then they're mostly offshore. Near the beach they break as 3-5 footers with nonstop rip current statements broadcast over marine VHF.

A 2 foot sea will come to near the top of a Seafarer's gunwale if it's lying beam-to. Head into that on plane, even with tabs/trim down and the occupants will be holding on.

Again, to your point: the Seafarer's are great boats. I had the times of my life in mine, and I would buy one again if I needed another 22 footer. I believe most boats will ride rough in 2 footers unless they are 27 feet and above.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
So, I was out in the GOM off Ft Myers beach today in true 6-8' waves in my now trusty 228!!!!! Well,,,,,,not really, but it did get bumpy coming back from Lovers Key. :mrgreen:

Still ran back around 21-22, tabs down and motor tucked, just like yesterday. I have no issues with my 228 and it's ability to bring me back safely. It's a 22' boat, hello.

In comparison to the 20' Trophy and the 23' Seaswirl, it surpasses both in ride and handling in rough water, both of the others would pound. Don't get me wrong, the Grady will hit hard too if running to fast in rough conditions, but the overall ride in the rough stuff goes to the Grady.

Has my dream 228 Grady-White met my expectations? Yes it has!! I'm very happy with it and it is everything I imagined it to be. I've made a few changes and added a few things to better suit my needs and style of fishing. Somewhere in the future, I'll upgrade motors to a 250, but for now the F225 is purring right along.

A lot of THT are folks that are clueless and have no concept on how to handle a boat in a given situation. I can handle my own and understand boat size has limitations. I'm always learning and aware of my situation, unlike the guy I followed out Sanibel pass this morning, he had no clue I had come up behind him, could have put my pulpit over his motor and he still would have not known I was there. Never once looked around at his surroundings.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Magic,
I agree. it's hard to determine the wave height from crest to trough. I try to take the word of NOAA wave cast when they say 2-3. I guess we could jump in and measure with a yard stick . Lol. I think the Gulf is a little unique but it's not something that is hard to navigate and drive a boat in. On THT they make the GOM out like it's the danger zone.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I agree. Sounds like some are painting with a very broad brush. Also define the GOM as this is pretty much the entire northeast.

Hineser Out

Reaction score
Some of the guys on THT are real morons. There’s some great info overthere though. I have a 222 fisherman and I think the ride is great in all conditions, even the 2’ tight chop. Got to remember with the seafarer you sit farther forward, which makes a big difference in ride perception. When it gets nasty I hunker down one hand on the wheel one on the grab handle with tabs adjusted accordingly and move along anywhere with no real issues at all. But I do stand further back in the hull. Tabs are a must. You’re certainly not going to leisurely cruise along in a 2’ tight chop, sitting down drinking a beer. But I have no problem with the ride, the way it is. Remember it’s 22 feet, not the 37’ canyon. This hull is a super all around hull in my opinion. I repowered with a 4.2. 250 and moved my batteries under the console , so took 150 pounds off the transom which helps also.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Hinser,
You gotta love the 4.2 liter. That is a sweet motor. For the most part I take the Grady hate on THT with a grain of salt. I get a kick out of the criticism. What I really get a kick is how folks make the GOM something special. Here is the irony of the GOM. The same chop and short wave period which a 24 degree dead rise hull supposedly cuts like butter will do a number on that hull when they stop to fish for snapper and grouper
That same hull will have more roll at rest and trolling. There are trade offs in hull designs. The SeaV2 hull seems like a good trade off in planning hull design.

Hineser Out

Reaction score
4.2 250 is great on my boat. Don’t get me wrong, I try to only go out in perfect days but usually the wind kicks up and you have to deal or tide changes and you get into nasty wind against tide rides home. But like I said , get your speed , tabs etc dialed in and it handles it fine imo. Yeah dunno about the GOM thing. We get nasty stuff all up and down the east coast, it ain’t no San Diego. There’s so much that go into hull design. The other day I watched a new 28 regulator porpoising like crazy as they flew by. There’s the drifting stability, how Hull tracks, reentry so it doesn’t bow steer, proper lifting strakes for planing, chines for dryness, weight distribution, , etc etc. I think Grady’s do a good job at it overall. People have to factor in more than just 24 degree dead-rise.

Graybeard

Reaction score
Interesting.......I boat on the Chesapeake Bay, which is notorious for its short steep chop. GW’s are about the best riding hull that is not a ocean going extreme deep vee like a Regulator or a power cat. But trying to fish in the Bay in a Regulator is a tough go because the extreme vee rocks too much in the chop. As for THT, I learned from several local marine business owners that THT is full of shills that specifically run down certain products and amp up others. One of the THT monitors is a local business owner in my area known for that sort of thing. There is some good information on THT, but you have to be very careful about what you believe and what you should take with a grain of salt.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I take nothing on THT as gospel!!!

I stayed away for awhile just because of all the bashing of your boat if you didn't have the preferred boat brand. Remember, I had a Trophy, which was a Bayliner, felt like I was black balled on there. Then moved up to my Seaswirl Striper, somewhat better acceptance. Now a Grady and I feel like I went back to Bayliner status. I know it's just jealousy because if you read between the lines, everyone seems to compare their boats to a Grady. Slowly dialing mine in and enjoying every minute of it. 8)

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
THT is often a place of soft tyranny of 24 degree deadrise center console fishing kaball of south Florida (lol). Some of that stuff though is quite funny. It is entertainment when. I my brain can't take the stupidness of Facebook anylonger.