Grady192 or Scout 202

Cabe123

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I currently have a Grady 192, I have an opportunity to purchase a used Scout 202 from Family Friend, they have owned the boat since it was new. And they are giving me a good Deal. I’m going to purchase the boat any thoughts would be appreciated thanks

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Sea Trial the boat . Sea Trial the Boat.Sea Trial the boat.

I have read on THTthat Scout makes a decent boat but they are light . There is a saying there is no replacement for displacement. I have not ridden a Scout but I have owned a 192. For a 19 footer the 192 is a solid boat. Its heavy for it's size and i think the boat rode great for it's size.

Now the Scout may be newer as you don't specify age and power of either boat. If your Grady is 1996 and powered by a Johnson Ocean Runner and the Scout is a 2009 powered by a F150 or F200, That could be a difference maker here

. On the flip side if both boats are of similar vintage and similar power , I don't know why you're buying a boat that is just 8 to 12 inches longer. I am biased but I take the 192 over the Scout on build quality and ride . Granted I have never ridden on one just read they are wet boats which is fine if you put attractive ladies in white tee shirts on the bow with no baithing suit top or bra under said t shirts .

Lastly what do you use the boat for? water sports, sandbar time , fishing ? The 192 is a rather spartan boat . You don't get a shower or freshwater tank and it's comfortable for what it is. Scout appears to put more bling in their interiors . However,all that bling requires maintenance. The Scout may have a head in it where as the192 doesn't.

If you want the Scout go take it out in bumpy seas and bring a lady in a white tee shirt and make your decision after you have ridden it. Don't be lured in by upholstery in my opinion. Buy it if truly rides better and solid under your feet. Walk away if it's ride is no better or worse and if wetter than the 192,assuming both have similar power and vintage .

Cabe123

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
My 192 is a 1994 model with evinrude 150 ocean pro the scout is a 96 with 175 ocean pro these engines seem to be thirsty what percentage of fuel savings would a newer four stroke be? I mostly use the boat for fishing. Wife wants a 20 walk around I may just sell both boats and get a walk around

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Cabel,. so, you already bought the Scout? If you did I suppose you could try a two for 1 deal..Sell both and search for a 208. or even 226 228 .

I think you're 192 is SeaVee2 hull. it makes a difference in ride. But, yes, 4 stroke f150 is about twice as fuel efficient as the Evirude. I had an ocean pro and repowered to a F150 and my fuel economy went from 2 miles a gallon to over 4 on the 192..

But back to my other thought, if you didn't buy the Scout ,don't and sell the 192 while looking for a 208. If you did buy it, sell it and the 192 and get the 208 or 228 if your budget allows.

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
You would not have trouble selling your current boat. If it’s a family friend, once you buy the Scout they will ask periodically about it so you probably can’t buy it and unload it later if you prefer the GW. But I don’t think you’d lose money if the Scout is a good deal should you sell it later.

Bad Monkey

Reaction score
Cabe, I agree with smoky. Do a Sea Trial in real condition (not a glass like lake). My friend also got a great deal an a Scout and you would have to wear a mask and snorkel to drive the boat! Extremely wet ride even in light chop. I don't exactly know the year of his boat as they may have changed the hull design since but a good Sea trial would let you know quickly. Good luck

Cabe123

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I’m going to buy the scout super deal for the money I mean the trailer alone is worth the price so I will clean it up and do compression test probably rebuild carburetors and see what I have