Grady's affected by Compolysis?

sluggoe

Reaction score
Has anybody seen the April Boating mag editorial article regarding compolysis? It says that most boats that have fiberglass composite construction parts will begin to degrade and will likely become "flimsy" or weak (any cored fiberglass part). I think that grady's have some parts that are cored but not sure which ones.

Anyway, the article says that due to compolysis the interior of the cored part begins to wear away over time and it has to do with an electrical charge created from friction.

Also says hand laid fiberglass builds are more likely to be affected than boats built using vacuum bagged or closed mold building.

Not sure what the solution, if any, is for this problem because the article doesn't mention any but apparently there is more about this on boating magazine's website.

sluggoe

Reaction score
April fool joke apparently.....ha ha ha

L.R.

Reaction score
No Joke,I read it also.The article was about "Composite" built Boats....

Graybeard

Reaction score
I'm sure GW will say no,but it's something I'm worried about. I was at a fishing show yesterday and the rep for Everglades Boats was talking up their construction and talking down GW construction. And they said their variable deadrise hull is better than the SeaV2

gulfcoastangler

Reaction score
When they say "flimsy" do they back it up with 50 years or a time period? I see a ton of boat's like wood and other's in a junk pile after a long time. You sure can't knock some other make's like everglades but you will have a hard time talking grady owner's into switching.

fishbust

Reaction score
Graybeard said:
I'm sure GW will say no,but it's something I'm worried about. I was at a fishing show yesterday and the rep for Everglades Boats was talking up their construction and talking down GW construction. And they said their variable deadrise hull is better than the SeaV2

Really? A Ford salesman was saying they are better than Chevy or vice versa? A salesman is going to say another boat is better than theirs? How would they sell you a boat then? Really?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Nice joke, but not april yet and I will not re-subscribe as I did not like this joke! Made me think my boat was disintegrating! Why am I paying for this stuff taking up valuable space in what should be an informative boating magazine? :mrgreen: