Grady's with older F350s? Anyone repower yet?

PlannedOutage

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 336
As far as I know, Grady started putting F350s on their boats in 2008 which is right after Yamaha released the first gen of F350. I own a 2008 336 Canyon which I bought at a great price in 2019. My F350s are still running very good and I have not had any MAJOR issues with them since I owned them. However, with all of the horror stories I have seen online about people having issues with F350s (especially first gen motors), it sounds like I will be looking at a repower scenario before too long. The Grady specs for this hull are for a max of 700 hp for my vintage, although Grady is putting up to 900hp (trip 300s) or 850hp (twin 425s) on the 2019 and 2020 33 Grady's.

I am curious, has anyone else with a Grady which had original factory F350 done a repower yet? If so, what did you put on your boat when you repowered? Did you stick with the F350? Did you change to Mercury or Suzuki 350s? Upgrade to 425s? Did you repower with F300s since the F350 has known issues? It seems the general boater community are still very concerned about the F350 design even with the updated models that Yamaha has released in recent years, so I am curious what other older Grady F350 boat owners have done on this.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Not a direct answer to your question but related nonetheless.

I have 2018 350's on my Marlin with 200+ hrs and they are flawless. I know these are the updated engines, but you still have to have the flywheels changed when the engine logs 80 hrs between 3500-4300 rpm. I've had it done twice; it's free for the life of the engine and no big deal.

I've no experience with the older 350's so I can't comment on them. I suppose if they were real problem children, I would consider another model, but it sounds like yours are fine.

If I had to repower, I'd get 350's again in an instant. Best motors I've ever had

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Suzuki 350 Duo Prop Engines Are awesome. On my recommendation. My Buddy just repowered his 35 Triton with them. He had Yamahas 350’s from his last repowered. He picked up 10 mph top speed and added over 1/2 mpg . He bought the boat new with Mercury Verados, so he’s had them all. He, like so many of us are sold on the Zuks. They are a lot more affordable too. Most of the Sea Tow boats are running them now. .

Reactions: PlannedOutage

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Not a direct answer to your question but related nonetheless.

I have 2018 350's on my Marlin with 200+ hrs and they are flawless. I know these are the updated engines, but you still have to have the flywheels changed when the engine logs 80 hrs between 3500-4300 rpm. I've had it done twice; it's free for the life of the engine and no big deal.

I've no experience with the older 350's so I can't comment on them. I suppose if they were real problem children, I would consider another model, but it sounds like yours are fine.

If I had to repower, I'd get 350's again in an instant. Best motors I've ever had
The way I understood it is 2025 "the free for life" is no more. I was told that by a Yamaha dealer rep. Maybe he is mistaken but I'd check into that.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The way I understood it is 2025 "the free for life" is no more. I was told that by a Yamaha dealer rep. Maybe he is mistaken but I'd check into that.
Im fairly sure that a Grady a White is not selling many if any 350’s now. 300’s and 425’s were on the boats the last time I was there.

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Im fairly sure that a Grady a White is not selling many if any 350’s now. 300’s and 425’s were on the boats the last time I was there.
They’re (Yamaha)not making them (350’s)any longer and the 2025 date is the end of road for the free fix as I’m told

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
They’re (Yamaha)not making them (350’s)any longer and the 2025 date is the end of road for the free fix as I’m told

Thats probably best. 3 of the major boat builders I call on, got together and tried to get Yamaha to buy back several year models of the 350’s.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Interesting..I will call my dealer tomorrow and get his take on the future of the 350's rather than speculate here.

brdawg2001

Reaction score
Yea, Zukes is probably the best fit for Grady since they have so much torque...love my DF250's....

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin

Just talked to Yamaha Customer Service and they told me that the 350 is not being discontinued,(they are making them for 2020 and beyond) and the flywheel replacement is for the life of the engine. Nothing has changed.

This is a relief; part of the reason I bought the 350's was the free flywheels factored into the deal. Plus, as I keep saying, I am thrilled with mine. I'm glad they are still continuing production.

To what usmm1234 says, my dealer only stocks the 300's & 425's. I imagine other dealers inventory the same way. The 350's have a reputation, that I know, but when I called Yamaha 2 years ago prior to purchasing my Marlin,. they assured me the problems were taken care of with the flywheel replacement. I took them at their word, purchased the 350's for the Marlin and haven't looked back.

They get 1.3 to 1.4 all day long and will cruise that boat at 36MPH at 4000RPM. I haven't cracked the throttles yet, but I'm sure it'll pass 50MPH with ease. We can make offshore runs (on good days) at 33-35MPH and the engines are not even working hard. That gets us to distant destinations in a comfortable time frame with (I think) good burn numbers.

Will they bite me? Maybe. if they do, I'll take my 50 lashes and do what I have to to rectify whatever problem they give me. I have confidence in their future though, I have spoken with several who have had no trouble with them.

There must still be enough customers buying them to keep them in production. Anyway, Pat Hurley, thanks for the head's-up.

usmm1234

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Just talked to Yamaha Customer Service and they told me that the 350 is not being discontinued,(they are making them for 2020 and beyond) and the flywheel replacement is for the life of the engine. Nothing has changed.

This is a relief; part of the reason I bought the 350's was the free flywheels factored into the deal. Plus, as I keep saying, I am thrilled with mine. I'm glad they are still continuing production.

To what usmm1234 says, my dealer only stocks the 300's & 425's. I imagine other dealers inventory the same way. The 350's have a reputation, that I know, but when I called Yamaha 2 years ago prior to purchasing my Marlin,. they assured me the problems were taken care of with the flywheel replacement. I took them at their word, purchased the 350's for the Marlin and haven't looked back.

They get 1.3 to 1.4 all day long and will cruise that boat at 36MPH at 4000RPM. I haven't cracked the throttles yet, but I'm sure it'll pass 50MPH with ease. We can make offshore runs (on good days) at 33-35MPH and the engines are not even working hard. That gets us to distant destinations in a comfortable time frame with (I think) good burn numbers.

Will they bite me? Maybe. if they do, I'll take my 50 lashes and do what I have to to rectify whatever problem they give me. I have confidence in their future though, I have spoken with several who have had no trouble with them.

There must still be enough customers buying them to keep them in production. Anyway, Pat Hurley, thanks for the head's-up.

From what I understand. Numerous improvements were made to the 350’s over the years. Exhaust Parts, connecting rods And lower units. The 2 issues that remain are the Scheduled flywheel replacement deal and the rather small alternators (50amp WOT)trying to support power consumption on a larger express model loaded with 12 volt equipment. The 300 Yamaha is 70 and the 425 s 90 amp. The Suzuki’s 250 thru 350 have 54, Mercs Verados have 80 and Big Evinrudes have 130.
This is more of a concern on single engine boats.

Last edited:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
This is true; A friend of mine commented it was weird the 300's had more alternator output than the 350's. (Wasn't aware of the Zuke/Merc & Evinrude stats.)

I mulled it over for a bit and decided that since we just cruise & stay overnite at marinas with shore power, it wasn't a big deal for us. At anchor, we fire up the generator and keep the batteries charged up that way.

Pat Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Marlin

That's good news for the 350 owners !! Don't understand why an authorized dealer Yamaha/Grady dealer I spoke to would make such a contradictory statement if it's not true. (fake news I guess) ? I'm going to follow up with the dealer to see what their story is.

Thanks for the update Bill

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
That's good news for the 350 owners !! Don't understand why an authorized dealer Yamaha/Grady dealer I spoke to would make such a contradictory statement if it's not true. (fake news I guess) ? I'm going to follow up with the dealer to see what their story is.

Thanks for the update Bill

Dealer probably doesn't make a lot for the warranty flywheel swap, might be tired of doing it and made the ending date up for himself. Just a thought.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Pat:

Please do. If they stick to their story of the 350's & flywheel; warranty being discontinued, I'll do more calling to Yamaha. Since they guaranteed me free wheels for life, my interest is more than academic.

They may have heard from another dealer or rep about the end of the flywheel swap and just took it for granted and repeated it. Y'know, "heard it from a friend who..."

Ky Grady may be right as well..Anything's possible with regard to profit & loss, I guess.

lyncha00

Reaction score
I just sold my 2007 1st generation F350 with 1100 hours and am putting a brand new F350C on my 275 this week. I should have some good comparison data on speed and fuel economy to share.

Long story on how I got the motor but it was a leftover manufactured in 2017 that was still in its crate and the last F350 Grady corporate had anywhere. I was told Bennington Marine bought a huge inventory run of F350s from Yamaha which is why they became scarce pre covid.

Squid1962

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I own a 2008 330 with F350s. New power heads. Old ones replaced by prior owner. Anyone with experience with older 350 with new powerheads?

frisco

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thats probably best. 3 of the major boat builders I call on, got together and tried to get Yamaha to buy back several year models of the 350’s.
Yamaha told us life of engines free flywheel

frisco

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have 2008 marlin with 2008 350 and they run flawlessly. And when I do repower I'd like to put 425s but 350 will go back on