Gratitude

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Hey guys, just wanted to say I really appreciate this forum and all of you. Needed to do it in the morning so it isn't cocktail enabled if you know what I mean.

THT feels like high school, everyone trying to impress each other when nobody really cares. This place feels like a bunch of adults who are comfortable in their own skin and feel no need to impress anyone.

I'm very grateful for the welcome I've received here and all the advice on my newbie questions, and especially, the restraint and kindness you've shown when answering questions. Any ribbing I've gotten has obviously been in good humor. It's pleasant to pop in here and see what's up.

My boat is named Gratitude and I named her before realizing I'd be grateful for the help I got here, that's been icing on the cake.

So thanks! And I'll do my part to pay it forward when I can help someone.

Captain TJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Keep in mind that THT has more members so you will get different perspectives on some things but you also get that inherent asshole factor from the larger group. This forum will have more good info specific to the Grady which is often more helpful.

Glad to hear you're having a good experience here. All the more specific focused forums tend to be more helpful without the grief.

Bloodweiser

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Lucky

did you get the Gratitude painted in the hull? Love to see a picture of that and cost. Etc. I have been thinking of painting a name on mine , think it’s a good safety thing to for ez id of a boat by rescue etc

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Lucky

did you get the Gratitude painted in the hull? Love to see a picture of that and cost. Etc. I have been thinking of painting a name on mine , think it’s a good safety thing to for ez id of a boat by rescue etc

I have not gotten that done yet. Part of the reason was during the lock down, I took to calling her "Driveway Slayer" and that always made me smile. But all of my adult friends said "Gratitude" is a better name and it seems to have stuck. Hard to say fast on the radio if you've been drinking but I will never drink on the ocean, that's for when I'm home and cleaning the fish.

Is there anything special about painting a boat name on? Fancy paint?

Lsquared

Reaction score
I have not gotten that done yet. Part of the reason was during the lock down, I took to calling her "Driveway Slayer" and that always made me smile. But all of my adult friends said "Gratitude" is a better name and it seems to have stuck. Hard to say fast on the radio if you've been drinking but I will never drink on the ocean, that's for when I'm home and cleaning the fish.

Is there anything special about painting a boat name on? Fancy paint?
I'm using vinyl graphics instead of paint and yes the beer at the dock is much better

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Have to agree with others, vinyl is the way to go. I bought my boat and it had vinyl and that was the first thing I did was strip the name off. Glad it wasn't painted on.

Divajean

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Have to agree with others, vinyl is the way to go. I bought my boat and it had vinyl and that was the first thing I did was strip the name off. Glad it wasn't painted on.
Go vynil,had. My diva Jean decals made for 30 bucks...too easy to apply,like your boat name,mines a spin on my daughter, thanks to all who post great information!!!

HTHM

Reaction score
My first boat was named Lure Landry and I had the name done up by a sign shop for very little cost.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
I love THT, but mostly for entertainment value and you have to weed out the good with the bad. You have a little more leeway and if you post something controversial or political then you are fair game. If your feelings get hurt that easy you may not want to go there.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
I love THT, but mostly for entertainment value and you have to weed out the good with the bad. You have a little more leeway and if you post something controversial or political then you are fair game. If your feelings get hurt that easy you may not want to go there.

I'm old and retired and I own a Grady, I'm not trying to prove anything to anybody and I'm fairly thick skinned. THT still bugs me because they seem to delight in making fun of newbies. Not in that teasing "I'm just doing this because I like you" way, but, in my opinion, a more genuinely nasty way. I don't really care what they think of me over there so I take them to task when I see them beating up some poor newbie. Everyone is new at each new thing they try, why make it harder?

So whatever, I derive some value from THT but not a lot. Usually I can have a far more pleasant conversation here and get my questions answer by adults that aren't busy polishing their ego at the expensive of newbies. Hence this thread, I like this forum a lot.

Capt Tom

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 205
Fair enough. Like you I'm retired and own a Grady but don't consider myself old yet. But we have to agree that social media can be unruly to say the least. I would bet the majority of the people on THT are on the entire Gulf Coast around Florida up to the Carolinas. I know there is a lot of Grady bashing along with other hulls but I can tell you, I boat in this area and any Grady owner I have ever run into will tell you it is the best boat they ever owned. BTW most boaters have never heard of THT to put things into perspective.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Fair enough. Like you I'm retired and own a Grady but don't consider myself old yet. But we have to agree that social media can be unruly to say the least. I would bet the majority of the people on THT are on the entire Gulf Coast around Florida up to the Carolinas. I know there is a lot of Grady bashing along with other hulls but I can tell you, I boat in this area and any Grady owner I have ever run into will tell you it is the best boat they ever owned. BTW most boaters have never heard of THT to put things into perspective.

For those that don't know, THT is "The Hull Truth", probably the biggest boating/ocean fishing forum. Bloody Decks is another one, the Bloody Decks guy is the guy who does the Local Knowledge fishing show, it's on Amazon Prime and I've seen some episodes on youtube. Check it out, it's fun.

I started a thread on THT about what boat is good for the Pacific Ocean off California. Quite a few people pointed me at the 228. All sorts of different boats were suggested, I really wanted build quality, I was looking for a boat that wasn't going to fall apart on me in the next 5 years. Grady is likely overkill but I was gun shy from a crappy first boat so I went all in. At least in that thread, THT crowd was helpful, some of them.

I love my 228 and I still don't know how to drive her properly, magicbill is working his magic to teach me the trim tabs.

Cap'n Tom, I know social media can be awful, THT can be salty, that's why I appreciate this site so much. Very little of that mean spirited salty old dog stuff floating around, more adult like instead. Super pleasant.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I totally agree, I'm in the same boat as you and loving it.

I'm right there with you all. I'm 58 but try and act 38 until my body tells me otherwise.

THT was not always what it is now. When I joined back in '03, it was much more cordial, people were helpful. Not so anymore. You have a handful that will try and help, most will just run their mouth and trash talk you because you don't own the same boat as them. I wonder sometimes if some of them even own a boat.

Reactions: wrxhoon