Grease Fittings on a Yami 225 SSII (OX66) Year 1998

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Got a chance to visit my baby yesterday, she lives 200 miles away. Did a few maintenance things including lubing the steering cables and the engine. The fittings to lube the steering cable are easy enough, all face inward. And I found a few fittings underneath the engine that allow for tilting the engine up or down around a horizontal axis. The question I need info for is this: Where are the fittings for lubing the engine so it swings left or right, on a vertical axis, when the steering cable is pushed or pulled? Please note, I am not talking about the steering cable, but the shaft that allows the engine to pivot on the bracket that is mounted to the transom. I found one fitting that seems to be located near the bottom of the shaft, and that fitting was on the right side of the engine and visible if you tilted the engine upward. So what lubes the upper part of that shaft? The Official Yamaha Shop Manual (for which I paid $80) has really lousy drawings. Must have been drawn by a Chinaman with Coke-bottle glasses

seasick

Reaction score
That's a good question. I don't remember greasing the steering shaft but in looking at the parts diagram, there are 5 grease nipples listed. 4 are on the tilt shaft and one appears to be near the middle of the steering tube casting (bracket). It looks like you have to tilt the motor up and the fitting will be on the parts that tilted up, so you would be facing aft and looking up to get to the fitting. You can bet that come spring, I will take a closer look:)
I suspect that the grease runs both up and down the shaft. The shaft rides in bushings , one at the top and one at the bottom. In other words, the diameter of the shaft is smaller than the hole in the casting.

catch22

Reaction score
seasick said:
...one appears to be near the middle of the steering tube casting (bracket). It looks like you have to tilt the motor up and the fitting will be on the parts that tilted up, so you would be facing aft and looking up to get to the fitting.

That's the one. :)

There's also a fitting for the shift rod, (nothing to do with steering). It's in front of the engine block, down low in the pan. A b!tch to get at.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
For Seasick - a question

So you say the fitting is on the part that tilts up, and is visible if you face aft? Where in relation to the shaft is it? Is it low, up high, near the upper flange? Does the fitting face forward if the engine is in a down position (like you were driving the boat)? This is great info - I'll take any of it that I can get. Thanks.

seasick

Reaction score
Re: For Seasick - a question

hotajax said:
So you say the fitting is on the part that tilts up, and is visible if you face aft? Where in relation to the shaft is it? Is it low, up high, near the upper flange? Does the fitting face forward if the engine is in a down position (like you were driving the boat)? This is great info - I'll take any of it that I can get. Thanks.

Yes it faces forward and appears from the diagram to be towards the lower half of the shaft sleeve.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Seasick - Thanks. See below

Yeah, that was good info. Last time I couldn't find all the fittings and took it to the local boat fixer. Charged me $25.00 for the lube, I'm sure it took him 5 mins.

Lucky Stars

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The shaft the motor steers with is called the king pin.
It has one fitting near the bottom. If it's never been greased it will take a lot to get it to push grease out the top. It will push water out first.

hotajax

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Lucky Stars - Thanks

Lucky Stars said:
The shaft the motor steers with is called the king pin.
It has one fitting near the bottom. If it's never been greased it will take a lot to get it to push grease out the top. It will push water out first.

I found that ONE fitting. It was on the starboard side of the tilt mechanism, down near the lower flange. Fortunately it was pretty well lubed from the last trip to the boat fixer guy, and grease came out in short order. Good info.