Grease Trailer Ball?

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
How many people lube/grease their trailer ball before hitching up and towing? I can say I never do. How about you?

mboyatt

Reaction score
I have never greased the ball. When I first got my boat used, the hitch did not want to pop off the ball. Had to jump on the bumper, etc. Thought about greasing it, but never did. The problem went away after some use.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
In normal day to day towing, grease? When I bought my last 208, it's in AU now, the owner lubed the ball before I hooked up. This is the only time I have greased it.

SC Adventure 208

Reaction score
I did it once. Wound up getting grease all ofver myself when I unhitched. Never done it since.

seasick

Reaction score
It may be advisable to do a little grease to eliminate/reduce galling especially with chromed balls.

Meanwhile

Reaction score
I try to remember to spray some white lithium grease on the ball and into the receiver. Nothing like a squeaky hitch that first mile through residential neighborhoods at 0430 to brighten someone's day. I hope to have a slip this year with the new boat coming.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
To keep wear down and squeaking/rusting, I also use white lithium grease, but sparingly. I cover the ball with the plastic cover and it keeps from gettting on clothes or whatever.

eppem

Reaction score
I only tow a boat to and from the marina...I have sprayed down the ball and hitch with wd40 but that is it.

Clockwork

Reaction score
i do a couple times a season. sucks when you brush your pantleg against the ball though.

grady23

Reaction score
OK --- Towing on a regular basis --- YES - Ball requires grease or it suffers pre-mature failure. As for getting grease on your legs -- Use a tennis ball or similar and cut it so it fits over the ball. They even sell ball covers.

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well maybe I will start. It seems to be the thing to do but I have never greased one.

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
It does not take a lot. First time, grease it well, then after, wipe off the grease from the ball. This method will distribute the grease up into the coupler well and into areas it might need it. You can always put some up in the coupler also, but I just greased the ball and after first tow, wiped it down. Then applied a thin layer and covered with ball cover.
No grease on legs or pants this way.