Great Day on my Grady. No help needed,,pics

sickday

Reaction score
Took my 6 month old to me 2001 Marlin out past the Golden Gate for the first time. What a dream boat. Water conditions were great, but I got a general idea how she would handle traditional sea conditions (swells etc) I'm slowly getting up rhe courage to do a long range run for Tuna, but I'm still saving money for the gas! :shock:

Spent the day outsid ethe gate fishing for halibut. Caught and released a salmon, but didnt have much luck otherwise.

Finished off the day with dinner in Tiburon.

On a side note, the boat ran with a full load of gear, water, gas, etc plus 6 BIG cornfed dudes and ran great! I had the weight similar to the of a truck towing a boat, and could barely notice it

Cruised back to my home slip in Pitsburg. Man what a cruise. Flat as can be with a gorgeous sunset to boot. 120+ miles for the day

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
Days like that are what make it all worth while. Nothing like being the captain of your own boat crusing with your family and friends on a wonderfull day. :D

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Glad you had fun..Nothing like clearing the coastline and heading out to sea, especially in calm conditions.
Speaking of that, since you live out there, what's the percentage of calm days like you had?

sickday

Reaction score
The Gate itself is notoroius for being wet and windy most of the year. But this is the time of year that the winds start to settle down and the coastal fog goes away. To answer your question, its a small percentage of days that are dead calm and hot like it was Friday. Thats only at the gate. The farther inland you go and the farther out to sea you go will result in much nicer conditions.

There are several forces of nature that work against anglers/boaters here; (hot inland temps coupled with cold off shore water, and a funnel that runs right past the gate all the way to Sacramento) Add in one of the largest drainages on the westcoast and you have a combination of hundres of billions of gallons of water flowing right into the wind and shallow sand bars outside the gate. Together you get what is called the Potato Patch. Ugh. But with 2000 miles of inland delta, Its all good. I cant even count how many great days I've had on the water this year.

SlimJim

Reaction score
sickday said:
The Gate itself is notoroius for being wet and windy most of the year. But this is the time of year that the winds start to settle down and the coastal fog goes away. To answer your question, its a small percentage of days that are dead calm and hot like it was Friday. Thats only at the gate. The farther inland you go and the farther out to sea you go will result in much nicer conditions.

There are several forces of nature that work against anglers/boaters here; (hot inland temps coupled with cold off shore water, and a funnel that runs right past the gate all the way to Sacramento) Add in one of the largest drainages on the westcoast and you have a combination of hundres of billions of gallons of water flowing right into the wind and shallow sand bars outside the gate. Together you get what is called the Potato Patch. Ugh. But with 2000 miles of inland delta, Its all good. I cant even count how many great days I've had on the water this year.
Sickday, I went Tuna fishing on Wed and we got 21 for 3 of us, could have taken more. 25 miles outside the Islands. I was in my friends 32 footer. We left at midnight and started fishing at 6:30am. A little bit bumpy but layed down as the day went on and just a nice big swell. We were fishing n 9000 feet of water. We had 5 over 30 lbs. The rest were 12 to 20 pounds. Nice day I am going again this wed. Wide area of tuna out there.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sickday..
Thanks for the response..I very rarely chat with anyone on the West Coast, so your description of the weather forces is interesting.
Enjoy your boat..

sickday

Reaction score
Hey Jim, thats what I'm talking about! I cant complain about my 1.5 hr cruise from the west delta to the gate when you guys are leaveing at midnight. Holly Cow. I can't wait to do that.

Next year I'll be getting a second berth in either Berkely or Alameda. The cost of fuel on two trips to the bay is about two months of dock fees!

So 25 miles past the islands puts you around 50 miles out? Not bad at all. I'd be hesitant to leave at midnight right now as I cant seem to get my Furuno Radar to work properly :?: