Great Lakes area repower

benny13

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hello all,

I am located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and have a 98 Seafarer 228. I am hoping someone in the Great Lakes region has any recommendations for a shop that you’d have confidence in performing a repower with a new larger bracket. I don’t have a ton of confidence in my local shops for this type of job and I am willing to pay a premium to have it done right. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. I am not brand loyal but thinking likely either Yamaha or Suzuki (but would consider possibly others).

Thanks!

GH236

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 236
Drummond Marine in Holland is a GW dealer and does excellent work.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I couldn't recommend anyone in the area as I don't live anywhere near there, that being said I'd strongly consider the Suzuki as it comes with a 5 year warranty and is usually quite a bit less than the Yamaha's. The Suzuki DF250AP is likely what I'd go with if I ever needed to do a repower as it has the digital throttle controls and you can oftentimes find them for under $20k.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I struggled to find a good Suzuki dealer on the Great lakes. Unfortunately I would not recommend the dealer that I used. However, there is another dealer that I would consider. He carries Mercury, Yamaha, Tohatsu, and Honda. For your boat I would consider the Hondas or Tohatsu's. Dubbert's out drive service in Port Clinton, Ohio.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I struggled to find a good Suzuki dealer on the Great lakes. Unfortunately I would not recommend the dealer that I used. However, there is another dealer that I would consider. He carries Mercury, Yamaha, Tohatsu, and Honda. For your boat I would consider the Hondas or Tohatsu's. Dubbert's out drive service in Port Clinton, Ohio.
Why weren't you satisfied with the dealer that you went with? I thought besides the color change that you were pretty happy with what you got? And which dealer did you end up going with?

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I posted most of the drama over at THT. I really don't want to get into it again.
If it was a simple, straightforward repower and the engines were in stock, I'd say go ahead and use the guy I went with. Considering what the OP is asking for, I would definitely go elsewhere.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I posted most of the drama over at THT. I really don't want to get into it again.
If it was a simple, straightforward repower and the engines were in stock, I'd say go ahead and use the guy I went with. Considering what the OP is asking for, I would definitely go elsewhere.
Having briefly read through the posts it appears as though you didn't order the correct color of outboards. Or at least it didn't specify that you wanted the white ones on the invoice, nor was the "white" model number specified on it either. That falls on you, not the dealership, and the dealership shouldn't be removing and reinstalling the other outboards for free when it wasn't written or stated on the invoice. From the roasting that you got on THT from all of those members, it seems like they all agree as well. Regardless, your "bad experience" shouldn't deter someone else from using a dealer just because you ordered the wrong items or that they weren't correctly specified with the correct part number. I'm sure a few minutes of looking online, speaking with someone at Suzuki or even at the dealer probably could've avoided the entire hassle. Either way, good luck and good day.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Since you didn't want to leave that door closed I'll provide a summary for you:
When you order engines there are three main things they ask: what horsepower, what shaft length, what color. I answered all of those. The part that you overlooked is that when I ordered my engines white ones were not available. However I didn't find that out till I talked to Suzuki 5 months later. The dealer deliberately ordered black and deliberately did not put the color on the invoice despite me asking for it. He was hoping that he could swap them out for white before he hung them, but couldn't. Then he tried to play the BS game that nothing was in writing and that it was my fault. It wasn't.
If you want to do business with someone that plays that game, go for it. I won't recommend it however.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Or perhaps the dealer didn't realize there was a 5 month backorder, just as you didn't, as the last several years since 2020 have been rather hit or miss for availability on a multitude of different things. I for one, as well as probably just about every other person out there, would check with both the dealer as well as Suzuki to confirm that they were available and are the color that you wanted before they were installed. Also, a great indicator that something is out of stock or on backorder is when no one has them in stock. Go figure. I'm assuming you must've called around to several different dealers and realized this and then decided to go with the dealer that you ended up going with because he had a better answer, or the one that you wanted to hear. I did that once before with a mustang part about 15 years ago in my early 20's. Wanted a specific brand of coil springs, called around and no one had them in stock except for one company. Ordered them and of course they were a different brand. Called them up and asked what the deal was and they said that they just use a different brand or part number when something is out of stock and replace it with something that they have in stock. Asked for a refund and went on with my life without posting the issue on some Internet forums.

Last edited:

benny13

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thank you for the replies. I will be looking into these places further and appreciate the recommendations on outboards and places.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have some inquiries regarding the UK49s Lottery. In this thread, I am addressing these inquiries. The following questions are listed:

1. What is the UK49s lottery?
2. How do I play the UK49s lottery?
3. When and where does the UK49s draw take place?
4. What are the different betting options in the UK49s lottery?
5. What are the prize divisions in the UK49s lunchtime results lottery?
6. How are the UK49s lottery numbers drawn?
7. Can I play the UK49s lottery online?
8. What are the odds of winning the UK49s lottery?

Tell me below if you know anything about the UK49s Lottery. I'm totally perplexed.
And more reported spam...