green "power available" light on main panel

daneagle2809

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Although I have no electrical problems that I am aware of, I am wondering about why my power available light is sometimes on and sometimes off under what I believe are identical conditions. I just checked the boat - it is currently on shorepower (30 amp), both batteries banks are switched off, a few items are on in the cabin (outlet running a dehumidifier and the fridge) as well as the battery charger - just a few amps total - the green light is shining bright but just as often when I look under similar conditions the light is off. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into this. Boat is a 2016 and I've never experienced any electrical issues. Everthing runs fine off shorepower or genny and no real pattern of light on/off when shorepower is off and genny running - the green light just seems totally random. Anyone have any thoughts?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i'm not speaking with authority, but the indicator should be on when power is on. you should have it checked out. could be as simple as a bad indicator light or the not so good bad connection somewhere. not something i would delay. good luck, ron

daneagle2809

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
So I ran down and tried a few things as per your suggestions. The battery charger doesn't seem to make a difference whether on or off. I also turned off all power at the panel and then at the stern 30 amp breaker where the shore power comes in. My conclusion is That the stern main beaker seems to control the light on or off: i.e. when the shore power pedestal breaker is on and the cord is connected to the boat and the boat stern breaker is on the green light will light showing "power available" but with that stern breaker off it does not light. With everything on the panel off or multiple things on makes no difference - the light will be on when shore powered. This makes sense except that its often not lit under these same powered conditions. I guess as you suggested likely a bad connection somewhere - the light can't be burned out as its on right now. its been doing this for quite a while. I was trying to get a marine electrician to come take a look every chance I run into one but here in Tampa they are all so busy fixing lightning strike jobs that I'm having trouble getting someone. I guess I'll open up the panel and have alook at the back of the light - maybe there is something obvious. Thanks and still open to ideas.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Mine is always on when connected to shore power whether I switch the breaker to on at the panel. Maybe your connection is coming undone. I would check connections on the cord.

daneagle2809

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yes mine used to work the same way. and at this particular moment it is working that way - light is on regardless of whether the panel breaker is on or off as long as the stern breaker is on and power is plugged in. I've replaced the cord and the hubbell power inlet recently but it has not made the situation any more consistent. :(

daneagle2809

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I've owned the boat since new and this condition began about a year plus ago. We have frequent power outages that often start and top multiple times. We blew out a control panel on our oven and on a wine cooler during one outage - is there anything anyone can think of that might be intermittently shorting that light or are we really in electrician territory at this point?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i've never popped one out, but the light itself could be going bad. i'm guessing neon or led. i've had household led's flipping on and off until they finally gave up.

if you are not comfortable working with 110, you may want to wait for an electrician. also, i don't know if a failing galvanic isolator would have any impact. good luck and be careful. ron

daneagle2809

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hey Ron. Thanks for that thought. On my last older big boat before this 330 (1988 mainship 36DC) most of the lights on the main panel eventually gave out and stopped lighting up but I think they were older ( I guess incandescent? style). I just assumed a 2016 would be all LED and that they work forever or not but perhaps there is a nuance to LED lightbulbs that I'm too old and dumb to appreciate or maybe they are not LED?

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GW should be able to tell you directly. and hopefully it's just the indicator light.