greenhorn

bucktail

Reaction score
I am in the process to purchase a 79'212 Chesapeake w/ 470 Mercruiser for $2000. I got her started but couldn't keep her runnin as there seems to be a fuel pump problem. I know this is going to take time and money to fix this ol' Grady but the boat is in real good shape. Does anyone think I'm off my rocker to try and restore this boat?

JeffN

Reaction score
Personally I like the old boats so I don't think the idea of restoring an old boat is crazy. Don't know about this particular boat but if you have the skills, the time, and the boat is not a lost cause have at it. I don't think fixing an old boat up to sell (flip) is a winner but if you intend to use the boat for a while sure. Need to look at the whole boat particularly the transom and be realistic about what you can do yourself and how much it will cost to bring the boat to usable condition. If you can get the 470 going cheaply run it and check it out. New I/Os are relatively inexpensive so don't put too much into the old one. Have fun.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As long as the hull is sound and in good shape, then there is no bad restore really as long as your willing to put the money in and keep the boat a while, you will likely never get anywhere near the value of what you put in when you sell so do not use that as reasoning ever to upgrade, do it because your keeping the boat and feel it is necessary. As stated above, a repower for an I/O is fairly cheap so be realistic as to what is worth fixing, at some point it might be cheaper to upgrade to a newer engine that will do better on fuel and be new with less issues, if the fixes are something smaller, then fix her up and get her running. Make sure the transom itself is sound, ideally you need a surveyor or a yard to check it, you cannot inspect it yourself and every know, if there is any transom issues, then it might not be worth the money since a cheap transom job will run you about $2000, and could be more if it runs into the stringers or bulkheads. It sounds like she is in good shape from what you state, and likely is, but there can be things you might not see as far as transom and bulkhead issues that would not make it an economical investment, if those things pass though you should have a great project boat on your hands. Best of luck, hope it all checks out for you!!

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Fixer Up!

Hey Buddy! Like they say, if it is a sound hull and you have the ability go for it! I bought an older Grady that was a victim of neglect and after pouring a bunch of TLC into her I wound up with a pure old Fish Killer! For that price I would say it's certainly worth a shot! As far as the engine not staying running probably the fuel pump or possible stuck float or needle and seat in the carburetor. Could also be the filters. Good Luck to you and don't be discouraged from chasing your dreams!

'84Offshore

Reaction score
I wouldn't spend much time on that engine.........the 470 has a bad reputation.
I had a '78 Gulfstream with an inline 6........much better engine and easy to work on.

JeffN

Reaction score
I lived with a pair of 470s for 20 years they really are not all much different or hard to work on. I found that many mechanics just did not want to take the time to learn them because they were somewhat "different". While they do have their odd features once you figure them out they are nice motors. If his is still a '79 it probably came with the smaller heat exchanger but many of those have been changed out to the 4" version years ago. Bottom line it is an old engine and like any other old engine parts are expensive and a new modern I/O is not all that expensive. Then you have new. I don't know if there is anymore but at one time take out 470s were fairly valuable so that may be worth checking out and may influence a decision to repower or not. I'll take a new motor over an old motor any day regardless of model.

Jumpnjack - What motor or motors did your '25 have in it before the repower?