Greetings from New Member & New Grady Owner

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Greetings,
Did all my research and shopped for two years narrowed my choice between Grady White and Triton and pulled trigger on used 2006 GW 282 Sailfish with twin 250HP Yamahas. Cound not be happier to be a Grady Owner. Will be doing my boating out of the Navesinck River and Raritan Bay are of NJ.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Welcome, and congrats on your Grady. Good choice you made; joining this forum, and your 282. Hope to see you out there.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome to the board. A good friend at my marina has a 2006 282 with F250s. He came in yesterday from with 3 hoos, a small blackfin, and a king. The largest hoo was 54#. Like a fool I was Xmas shopping when I should have been fishing. Seas were 1-2 ft all the way to the stream. Sigh... :(

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks all for the replies. I too was out fishing this weekend, but on a friends 35' Henriques as the Grady 282 I bought is in winter storage. Next year it won't be out of the water so early. Five stripers trolling off Sandy Hook, NJ One keeper the rest shorts . Beautiful day on the water.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Welcome to the board, and congratulations on the Sailfish.

May she always bring you home safely - with full fish boxes.. :D

Brian

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase!!! When you messaged me you were trying to finalize this deal I believe. Keep in touch on the radio, I monitor 69, the boat is S.T. Barb II. It has the custom blue hull, kinda hard to miss a blue grady out there. Hope to see you out there any maybe move over to Monmouth Cove in the future!!!! Good luck!!!

Tom

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Deal was finalized first week of December. It is currently at GW dealer in Naiantic, CT out of the water and shrinkwrapped for the winter. In the spring I will need obtain final delivery and motor it down to Red Bank, NJ and plan to moor at Irwin Marine o the Navasink the first year. Looks like a 170NM run through Long Island sound then down the east river to Raritan Bay. A little nervous about taking sucha long trip as my first with teh boat, so will probaly bring an experienced capatain along. As an alternative, dealer will trailer down fto NJ for approx $900, but I would think the trip could be a good opportunity to put her through paces and get use to handling her. Opinions welcomed. Will plan to monitor channel 69 and 65 in spring so please give a shout out to the Scarlet Knight, Capt Mike. Anybody planning to attend Caynon Runner seminar in Altantic City, NJ Jan 19th if so would like to introduce myself, if not will catch up on the water for the spring striper run inteh Raritan Bay. I will have plenty of GW questions as I now will need to outfit boat and change out the boat's lettering. Any suggestions on critical outfitting welcomed.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Capt Mike. I would probably invest in having the boat trailered down. You want to learn to use the boat in open waters that YOU know well. You do not want to be learning to trim the boat or use certain features on it while possibly running in dangerous waters. The East River is not fun to navigate and if you are not accustom to the boat and its electronics yet, this could be a headache. I'd reccommend the trailer option and learn in the safety of the waters you know. The Raritan Bay is a good place to open her up and give her a run for her money and still be safe. I plan to attend the Canyon Runner Seminar in AC. We ran the canyon this year and did ok. Would still like to learn a little more though. If you run this year let me know, I plan to run just about every weekend the weather permits to the canyon this year from Aug to Oct. Always good to run with a buddy boat or know some boats who will be fishing out there. I also plan to shark and do some midshore bluefin as well, we did very well last year with the bluefin.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I'll add my vote for the trailer delivery.

Agree with the comments above. I have made the voyage from Newport, RI to Norfolk, VA (sailboat, many years ago), and those are not "first-time" waters.

Also, the $900 for trailer delivery isn't much. Think what you will spend on the one-way transport to get to the boat, then the fuel for 170nm, and even more if you hire someone to accompany you.

Brian

jehines3

Reaction score
The $900.00 is likely twice the cost of fuel to run her versus trailer. I personally would run her home, but with an extra set of moderatly experienced eyes and ears. Assuming you have a decent chartplotter and paper charts for the run, there is no difference between known waters and unknown waters. Study your charts and markers before going. All waters were unknown to all of us at one point. I push my cruising limits a bit further into unfamiliar water every season, this is no different. Only you know your experience and comfort with a trip like this. I delivered mine 140 miles and had a blast, best 150 gallons of fuel spent. Make sure all the safety gear is up to date, file a float plan and have the trip of a lifetime. jh

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It would be a well spent $900. There is a decent current in the East River along with some large vessels going up and down. It's not a good area to be getting the feel of a new boat. The fuel alone can will you over $500.

If you or gradyfish are going near Manasquan let me know.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with Grog, the East River is not a fun place to run a boat if you have never done it before. Very strong currents and lots of barges and traffic. You have to time your trip around tides to even make that run. If you fight that tide you will get about .5mpg if you are luck through the East River...your looking at a full tank of gas easily and a headache at the end of the day.

Scarlet Knight

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Overwhelming opinion is to have it trailered down. You all make very good points some of which I had not considered. Though taking delivery and motoring down sounds exciting I will have plenty of opportunities to make a nice long trip once I get have better comfort level handling the boat in local waters. Question: Boat has a thru hull transducer does this cause any concern for trailering? I would think one would pulled it out before loading on trailer or are these meant to stay in and trust dealer that they know how to load /unload onto a trailer properly without damaging it? Also Gradyfish22, I will PM you on the Canyon Runner event later January.