Greyg8r is back

greyg8r

Reaction score
I've been away for a while for a variety of reasons. First, there was the issue of the lack of social decency on this forum . It got so the only reason I came here was for technical advice; not for a sense of community and camaraderie. I am glad to see that has changed very recently:D

Second, I have had a lot of distractions over the last 1.5 years. My mother-in-law passed away after a six-month bout with cancer. My son has been battling an illness for a year that he only now is beginning to conquer.

Third, fishing and boating has taken a downturn in my parts (west central Florida). We had a big kill zone in the Gulf in '06 that has not recovered. On top of that, gas is, well, we know all about that. Also, they have added a closed season for groupers and are considering lowering the bag limits as well. Finally, my rental house where I kept my Sailfish is now rented and the tenant needed the lift. So, the Sailfish is now in my backyard. But, this is probably a good thing. I used to lower the boat and drive it the 26 miles through Tampa Bay to the Gulf of Mexico. This would cost over $100 in fuel before I even got to the Gulf. Now, I will just trailer the boat to a ramp on the Gulf and save quite a bit of fuel in the process.

Third, my health has been up and down. As some of you may recall, Slack Time and Fishie1 for sure, I had a congested coronary artery in 11/06 that required a catheterization, angioplasty and stent and quarter followups with a cardiologist. I backed off on my boating to concentration on fitness and in the process lost 30# of fat, gained 15# of muscle, lost 15# net, increased my speed on the bicycle from an avg. speed of 16 mph to 20 - 22 mph, lowered my 5K run time from 30 minutes to 24 minutes and improved my swim times with the aid of a swim coach. I competed in one sprint triathlon in July and was looking forward to my first Olympic length triathlon (1500m swim, 40K bike, 10K run) last month. I was ready! I even had visions of placing in my age group (45 - 49). In January, during a routine cardiologist visit, my cardiologist noticed a heart murmur in me for the first time. After a followup echocardiogram and confirmation with a cat scan, I now have a dilatated aorta and regurgitating aortic valve. The aortic valve can cause shortness of breath, although I never noticed it except under very stressful exercise events (bike sprints, hard runs, etc.). The dilatated aorta, on the other hand, if left untreated, can dissect and be fatal. John Ritter died from a dissected aorta a few years ago. Mine is thought to be good for no more than 3 years before it will be fatal also. So, I am having homograft aorta surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville on Friday. The surgeon will re-route my blood, chill my body temperature down to the lowest recoverable temperature, remove my aorta and aortic valve, and install one from a cadaver. After a 4 - 7 day hospital recovery period, I hope to be able to slowly get into activities within a month and be back at my business of providing training classes by the end of May. I had rescheduled 3 classes to give me a 7-week recovery period, which I hope and think will be enough.

Obviously, I had to cancel the triathlon in March, but am looking forward to an Olympic length triathlon in Lost Wages in October. I will not be quite prepared for it after a layoff of several months, but I am eager to get one done and out of the way.

On the boat front, I still have my 1989 Sailfish, the Margaritaville. A few months ago I picked up a real sweet 1988 Boston Whaler Montauk for a song ($3600). I sold my 1974 Boston Whaler Katama last week to make room for it. After I sell a 1970 13' Whaler to my brother-in-law and nephew, I will be down to 2 boats for the first time in years!

Fishtales

Reaction score
Welcome back!

Go fishing often to keep your spirits up. Nothing but up from here!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Richard,

Welcome back....and best of luck in what awaits you in the coming days....

Look forward to hearing good news... :D

SlimJim

Reaction score
wow, Richard, I wish you the best! Sounds like you are one special person. I will enjoy reading your posts. Best to you and your family, Jim

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
Sometimes we all forget that the most important thing in life is our health. If you have good health then the rest of the stuff falls into place.

God Speed.

tuxedospike

Reaction score
Greyg8r....all the best!

All my very best wishes to you on your upcoming surgery. I know how you feel...I'm two weeks out of the hospital for a Quad-Cardiac By-Pass I thought I'd not need after Stinting and rehab last year. To look on the bright side...once it's done things should improve greatly. I think the worst part of my open heart surgery was standing there while a fellow shaves you from the neck to the feet...makes you feel like a huge, obscene baby! There are no secrets in major surgery! Once aqain, much luck and prayers for your health!

Brad1

Reaction score
Ah man greyg8r, you are really going through alot.

Sorry to hear about your Mother-in-law. Also very sorry to hear about your Son dealing with an illness. I'm glad to hear that he is pulling through. Being a parent myself (as I'm sure many other's on this board are), I can genuinely sympathize. The last thing you want is for anything bad to happen to a child. Any child.

Best of luck on your upcoming surgery. Sorry to hear that you must go through that. It sounds like you have really taken matters into your own hands with regards to improving your physical condition though. I congratulate you on that. I'm no doctor, but I'm sure the physical conditioning you have done will benefit your recovery from the surgery.

Best wishes.

Brad

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Spend more time on the boat, good stress reliever.

Even if it's on the trailer or drydock, take you favorite periodical and put you feet up. Don't tell anyone where you are!

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I was kinda wodering where you've been.

Best of luck.

Brad1

Reaction score
greyg8r said:
First, there was the issue of the lack of social decency on this forum .

Your not the only one that had affected. The way things were going, I had reached the point that I had almost lost complete interest in this site. But now that the moderator has taken action, I think it will improve.

greyg8r

Reaction score
Thanks guys ... I truly appreciate all the good kharma sent my way. I'll post again in a few days with an update.

Richard

shadygradycapn

Reaction score
Wow Richard, keep me posted. We only live 5 minutes apart, so if there's anything we can do, let us know!

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well I don't even know anybody really on this site other than Ken Lahr from reeldraggin'. But because of this thing called the inter-net i feel close to you folks and never miss a day on Great Grady. These replies let me know that even on the otherside of the world you all have the same problems and concerns as us downunder......and they are not always boat related.!.....may you have a speedy and safe recovery.Your Grady awaits you.

gerrys

Reaction score
Richard:
Welcome back and good luck on your operation.
Ihave the same operation (aortic valve replacement) scheduled for Apr 17. I hope the surgeon doesn't forget his jumper cables for the re-start. :lol:

Jas

Reaction score
Welcome back. When you've got your health, and your Grady, you've got everything!