Greyg8r is back

greyg8r

Reaction score
I want to thank all of my family members on the Great Grady Forum who sent me their collective good kharma. I don't think the outcome would have been as good without it!

I had five outcome goals of surgery:

1. Survive surgery
2. Not get a staph infection
3. Not need a pacemaker
4. Get out as quickly as possible
5. Be able to reuse my aortic vave

I was able to accomplish the first four goals. The surgeon had pre-warned me that he did not have much success saving valves when the aortic root was dilated so that was no surprise.

They discharged me today, 3 days after surgery, partly because I had accomplished all their goals in recovery (self sufficient, ambulatory, able to eat and drink), partly because they didn't want to keep me in a germ-filled hospital and run the risk of infection, and because they needed the bed.

The surgeon installed a homograft human cadaver aortic root/aorta/aortic valve. The surgeon said I can expect 12 - 15 years, but the Physicians's Assistant said they typically last 20 years. So, at age 68, I'll go through another surgery, but one less complicated because replacing a valve in a homograft is the same as replacing a valve in a existing aorta. And, who knows how sophisticated and non-invasive the surgery will be in 20 years? By going with a cadaver valve, I do not need Coumadin. Those of you in the medical industry know how serious and potentially dangerous this stuff is.

It was clear that my conditioning and overall health sped up the recovery time substantially. One doctor stopped me in the hallway while I was walking around the ICU and said I was one of the few patients he had ever seen who was out in 3 days. (My goal was to be out in 4 days). While I was out, there was some discussion of my low heart rate and the nurse said that I was an athlete with a 51 resting heart rate (although that is just one of many conversations I don't remember).

The only pain I have is in my sternum, as would be expected. My abdominal muscles hurt when the drainage tubes were in place, but that went away shortly after they were removed. The PA thinks the sternum pain will ease up in 1 - 2 weeks. I was told repeatedly that my pain threshold is high (not as high as Rambo's, but higher than most).

As for resuming exercise, I can start walking immediately as far as I can muster, probably 1/4 mile for now, as many times / day as I want and can. In 2 - 3 weeks, I can start doing non-impact cardio stuff, ellipticals, stairmaster and stationary bike. After 6 - 8 weeks, I can resume running and biking outside. I forgot when I can resume swimming, but I'll find out when I see them in 3 weeks for my followup. The surgeon also said I could start working with weights over the party line 10#, as long as I isolate the muscles and don't use the pecs or lats. It will be at least 2 months, maybe more iv ever, before I do a bench press again. The PA let me stay on the calcium channel blocker even though it doesn't suppress heart rate as much as beta blockers because of my active lifestyle. It was clear that these surgeons are able to think out of the box and not rigid in standard recommendations and protocols.

Overall, I give Dr. Richard Agnew, his team, and the Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville my highest rating! If anyone in Florida needs open chest surgery, you can't do any better than this combination.

Richard

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
It's good to see you're OK.

It's amazing how fast you can be up and doing things when they had your chest apart a few days ago.

gerrys

Reaction score
Richard:
THat's amazing. I hope my procedure goes as well. It's heartening to see what miracles they can perform with today's knowledge and technology.

Please keep us informed as to your progress. :lol:

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Richard- Welcome back!
Happy to hear all went so well for you.

gerrys- best of luck to you.

shadygradycapn

Reaction score
Glad you are back home and doing well. Now, did they say when you're allowed out in the gulf? Or at least the bay?

shadygradycapn

Reaction score
The wife wants to know when you can ride your horse again! Do you still have your horse????

wilson

Reaction score
wow....and i thought i had a hell of a year!!! good to see ya and be back myself!!!!!! i repowered my sail with twin 200 hpdi's.....solid rocket boosters grey!!!!! glad to hear everythings cool with the ticker!!!

greyg8r

Reaction score
Daryl,

I cannot swim for 6 - 8 weeks in a (more) sterile pool, so the risk of falling into open water will not be an option for at least that length. But, after that time, let's hook up!

On the horse side, Fancy died on Christmas Day of colic or some other digestive failure that is common to horses. That was a heckuva Christmas day. We even had a Christmas present for her. Go figure.

greyg8r

Reaction score
wilson said:
wow....and i thought i had a hell of a year!!! good to see ya and be back myself!!!!!! i repowered my sail with twin 200 hpdi's.....solid rocket boosters grey!!!!! glad to hear everythings cool with the ticker!!!

Wilson, twin 200 hpdis, huh? Sweet! Thanks for checking in. Hopefully, the ticker won't need any more treatment for a couple of decades.

Richard

greyg8r

Reaction score
gerrys said:
Richard:
How be you this morning. Is the chest pain diminishing?

Thanks for asking, Gerry,

Yes, the chest pain has diminished by about 25% each day since the surgery, so that I am now down to about 20% of the original pain and I hope to get off the percoset within a week.

One thing that I am experiencing that no one had really warned me about is my body temp fluctuates quite a bit. It hit a high of 100.5 two nights ago and was 96.9 this morning. I guess the body just doesn't have enough energy to maintain all the systems equally while still going through a major repair.

Are you having anxiety attacks yet, they are inevitable. Have you researched what type of valves are available, their benefits and drawbacks?

Richard

gerrys

Reaction score
Richard:
No anxiety attacks yet, but who knows? Your play-by play helps a lot and I watched the entire operation online the other day.
I'm going with the bio-valve. Everyone I talked to and everything I've read has steered me away from a mechanical valve and the reliance on Kumodin (sp) for life.
I go in for pre-admission on Monday and check in at 4:45 am on Thursday for the operation. I'm sure my knees will be knocking then.
Gerry

greyg8r

Reaction score
gerrys said:
Richard:
No anxiety attacks yet, but who knows? Your play-by play helps a lot and I watched the entire operation online the other day.
I'm going with the bio-valve. Everyone I talked to and everything I've read has steered me away from a mechanical valve and the reliance on Kumodin (sp) for life.
I go in for pre-admission on Monday and check in at 4:45 am on Thursday for the operation. I'm sure my knees will be knocking then.
Gerry

Gerry, I wasn't gonna say anything until I knew what your decision was, but I went with a tissue valve as well. Mine is a cadaver valve which was part of the whole aorta/aortic root/valve cadaver homograft assembly. Cadaver valves have the same advantages and disadvantages as the porcine and bovine valves.

The hardest time for me and probably for you will be trying to keep your mind off the operation for the next 7 days and keeping your emotions under control. At one point as we were driving to the hospital, I had an anxiety attack and became totally irrational and felt like telling my wife, 'Never mind, turn around, I decided to not have the operation." Fortunately, I fought through that and calmed down.

Honestly, the days after surgery are much better than the days before surgery.

Although it is considered a very technical procedure, it is a technical procedure with a VERY HIGH success rate.

Good luck, you'll do fine.

Email me directly info@richardchinn.com or call me at 435.813.748.9512.4523 (ignore the first 3 and last 4 digits) if you want to talk privately.

Richard

gerrys

Reaction score
Richard:
Thanks for the encouragement. Fortunately or unfortunately, the deterioration of my valve has accelerated at such a rate that waiting is no longer an alternative. In 2002, the cardio guys said to expect the operation in my mid-70's. I'm now 59. The good parts are the heart muscle is healthy as are the blood supplies to the heart.
Right now I'm getting legal things in order and trying to catch a few final fish before the long recovery.
How's your walking routine going? Is the chest pain still subsiding?
Gerry

greyg8r

Reaction score
gerrys said:
Richard:
Thanks for the encouragement. Fortunately or unfortunately, the deterioration of my valve has accelerated at such a rate that waiting is no longer an alternative. In 2002, the cardio guys said to expect the operation in my mid-70's. I'm now 59. The good parts are the heart muscle is healthy as are the blood supplies to the heart.
Right now I'm getting legal things in order and trying to catch a few final fish before the long recovery.
How's your walking routine going? Is the chest pain still subsiding?
Gerry

Gerry, your important heart parts are fine, so everything else can be fixed, which is very good! I have always found walking boring, so I have started rehabbing on the stationary bike. I actually work up a little sweat but the stability of the bike causes less pain than does walking to my sternum. Chest pain down again, but I did have a bit of a greater bout than normal of alternating chills and sweats that warranted me to call the doc. He said that is to be expected and as long as my body temp doesn't exceed 101.5 (which is a really high temp imo), to just gut it out (my words, not his).

You may need another valve job before it is all said and done but at least you will have experienced 20 years of coumadin-free living.

Good luck fishing!

Capt Armchair

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
gerrys said:
Richard:
You doing OK?

Gerry-

Good luck m8. Give me a shout when your recovering. I will send you some pics of your old boat covered in blood!! :)

Don

greyg8r

Reaction score
Hi Gerry! The pain is almost completely gone and I have weaned myself off of the Percoset even before I ran out of pills. I am now taking regular Tylenols. I am a little chest-sore in the morning and I am still dealing with some chills, but they are getting more moderated every day. I think I'm gonna try a short workout on a stationary bike at the YMCA with the wife today for a short

Thanks for asking!

gerrys

Reaction score
Ya had me scared not hearing from you. It sounds like you're well ahead of schedule. Good for you!!!

Tomorrow's the big day. Look for a message on Monday or Tuesday.
Gerry