Grillin

hinmo

Reaction score
Anyone nervous about open flame (propane grill) near the cockpit and 100s of gallons of gas? I was thinking of getting a more contained grill (not too much open flame) and moving to the bow for cooking?

Thoughts?

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If there are doubts about the integrity of your boats fuel system then of course open flame should be avoided. That said, realize that your grill has a bomb connected to it in the form of a pressurized propane bottle. What keeps you alive is the fact that the propane delivery system for the grill is operating as designed. The same is true of your gasoline system on your boat. If it is maintained as designed then you are fine. If your brother-inlaw pumped 5 gallons of gas in a rod holder last week before you got him stopped, then you might wait and cook onshore. :D

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
hinmo said:
Anyone nervous about open flame (propane grill) near the cockpit and 100s of gallons of gas? I was thinking of getting a more contained grill (not too much open flame) and moving to the bow for cooking? Thoughts?

Do you have a generator or, if you're slipped, have access to shore power? If so, check out https://www.cookwithkenyon.com/.
It's electric. They make a lot of the built in grills and cook tops for most of the major boat builders including Grady. They also sell table top versions one of which I bought 2 years ago. Pricey but I love it!!! Store it in my dock box, easy to clean and works great. Worth a look...

This is the one I have -
Revolution5.png

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I have been using a magma BBQ on the boat for 10 years or so. No issues at all, It mounts in the rod holder. I usually put it on the side opposite the fuel fills/vents just to be safe. On a busy weekend around me you will see a large number of boats with grills out. If I was to buy one all over I may consider electric, as I now have a genny.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I'm going to add nearly a decade of use with a Magma to Dr's post. As long as you use common sense they are extremely safe. The gasoline is below deck - the grill is above. Although in theory you should be able to cook near the fuel vent (minimal amount of fumes come out when no gas is being pumped in and the amount of fumes compared to the amount of air in the area won't reach the right ratio to ignite), I think it's safe to say it's best to avoid this area! Other than that, it's all good and tasty!

hinmo

Reaction score
guess you're all right - I have a magna that fits in the rod holders, i haven't used it on this boat, but will soon. This boat (a Marlin) certainly holds alot more gas than previous boats....but that should not make a difference if everything is proper.

I will direct my insomnia to other issues (<jk>)

Thanks

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
hinmo said:
guess you're all right - I have a magna that fits in the rod holders, i haven't used it on this boat, but will soon. This boat (a Marlin) certainly holds alot more gas than previous boats....but that should not make a difference if everything is proper.

I will direct my insomnia to other issues (<jk>)

Thanks

I agree that the Magma is fine to use. They certainly hold a big share of the market. I also had one, in fact I still have it. Before owning a Marlin, we only spent a few nights at a time on the boat so the only time we grilled was at the beach on occasion. Now, we live at the marina as much as possible. I am not allowed to use propane or charcoal (which I would never do anyway!) while in my slip which is where I do most of my cooking. The Kenyon was the perfect answer for me and I'm stoked about this grill.

Jody

Reaction score
I use the rod holder mount so I can swing it out off the boat and have it tilted a little back so of any grease comes out the bottom it's away from the boat. Also think about what your going to cook, you put 5 burgers on it you will get a flare up like your home grill. I keep a bottle of beer in hand to knock them down if one happens and no I never run out of beer.

MA208

Reaction score
I saw a used Marlin for sale with a Kenyon electric built in to where the bait prep sink was. Very slick setup. I would like to see how much that conversion was. Kenyon is a somewhat local comapny i believe. Official grill of the Pats or something.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
MA208 said:
I saw a used Marlin for sale with a Kenyon electric built in to where the bait prep sink was. Very slick setup. I would like to see how much that conversion was. Kenyon is a somewhat local comapny i believe. Official grill of the Pats or something.

They are based in Clinton CT. Not sure when Grady started offering this as an option but it is offered on many of their models now. The one you saw may have been retrofitted but if it was a recent year Marlin, it probably was factory. Three years ago, at the boat show, I keyed in on the grills on Grady, BW, Pursuit, Sea Ray and many of the other brands. Then I noticed the cabin cook tops in the same boats. All Kenyon. Looked them up and discovered they've been around a long while. They only sell direct from the factory as far as I can tell. Pricey but well built. Clean up really is as easy as they say but do it right after removing the food. A wet paper towel or 2 and done! No more scrubbing grills over the side of the boat. Planning our weekend menu now!!! 8) 8) 8)