Grocco in tank macerator / Jabsco Conversion

ttles714

Reaction score
I have finally had it with the Grocco in tank pump system that came with this Grady. (2001 Marlin300). I removed the Grocco pump from the top mounting plate and re-installed the plate to the top of the tank. There was an extra 1 1/2 " threaded plug in the top of the tank. I removed that and installed an 1 &1/2 " Male thread 90 degree hose adapter. On the inside of this fitting I fit and epoxied (JB Weld) a 10" long, inch and a 1/4 PVC pipe to reach about 3/8" off the bottom of the tank. I mounded a Jabsco Macerator pump just forward of the tank and in the port side compartment. ( all under the aft berth)... I wound up mounting the pump horizontally and from starboard to port, on a 12" piece of 2x6 lumber secured with 2 brackets to the 2x4 that makes up the tank compartment. A picture is worth 1000 words, I will work on that.
Used the following ... 2' of inch and half sanitation hose.. 1& 1/2 '' male 90 degree hose adapter ( for tank) ... 1&1/2'' female 90 degree hose adapter( for input side of pump.).... 3/4' by 1" "I" hose connect fitting (connects the 1'' pump output to the 3/4'' Grady discharge hose.) ... 2'' of 1'' id hose to connect the 1'' side of the adapter to the 1" pump output.... SS clamps..

wbdenamur

Reaction score
I did a very similar conversion about a year ago and have been ecstatic with the results. If my macerator pump goes bad, now it is an easy external swap out! Grady White needs to end their association with Groco. That is a very poor design that will fail.

Another Distraction

Reaction score
100% yes. I took my marlin's tank out over the winter and went right through it. A few screws, wire connections and hose clamps and it's out. EZ as pie. Groco sells all parts for it. it's an expensive $500 pump because it's quality and well though out.

What exactly could you not fix or replace that made you install a $125 plastic pump?

Screwing into your stringers, that alone is a no-no.

Did you remove all of your bilge pumps to keep that motor dry?

I'm coming off a little strong here, I'll get off my soap box now.

ahill

Reaction score
I changed for ease of maintenance. A few holes at the top of the stringer are nothing to worry about.
If bilge water gets that high there are other things to consider.
What kind of soap are you using?

ROBERTH

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
My external macerator pump conversion is working great! Best thing I have done in that area. Easy to replace or repair if any failure down the road. Added a bit more capacity as well.

max366

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm with Robert 100%- the conversion works great and will save $$. Very reliable set up

fishbust

Reaction score
Yep. +10. When that things fails, abandon it.

Not a great design by any means using saltwater.