groco macerator replacement

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Does anyone have a line on reasonably priced groco macerators?

I removed mine today and after reading all of the posts I have decided to replace it. I tried to get it going on the bench but it was not at all succesful and everything looks pretty dodgy. Given how hard it is to remove and replace i think i would rather know that it is in good condition .

The interesting thing is after avoiding this for some time I found the smell was not a problem and the fluid no worse than shower water. I have been using a blue RV toilet fliud for some time so it seems to be doing a great job of managing the smells etc.

The sender unit looks to be impossible to remove due to the position of the cable pipe immediately above it. I really find it hard to understand the thinking in placing it where it is.I found myself in the compartment under the side seat and thru a small square hatch only big enough to remove the macerator pump itself. It would be very tempting to just hook the pipes up to each other and bypass the tank........I fitted an electric toilet with it's own macerator last year. If the tank needed moving i can't see how it could be done.

Enough Already

Reaction score
You're going down the same path I did about 3 years ago. I got mine out and thought I could do a bench repair. After fully documenting the disassembly, got to the point where I couldn't see going through all of the parts search and rebuild effort and possibly have to deal with the crazy access issues again in a year. I met the folks at Depco Pump Company at the MIA boat show later that year and decided to buy a new one. Wanted to keep the boat completely stock, so I went that route. $397.80 US :shock: for a genuine Groco but worth it to me because Grady dealer had told me $800 !!! Depco is in Clearwater Florida (727) 446-1656. Part number was GC 155-6110-12. It included the top flat plate, new gasket, and everything. Once you figure out how to angle yourself into the hole, its not too bad of an install. The only issue I had was unplugging the sensor wire that drives the tank status lights on the head. Somehow I messed up as I unplugged the connector mid-wire near the pump and I never got it reconnected right - a project for another day. (Any advice appreciated!) I'm much more focused on pump maintenance now. I run lubricating oil through the head monthly plus fill up the tank with fresh water through the pump-out port every couple of months and pump it all out to really flush the system. Still running strong after 3 years.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks , that is excactly where I'm at . I'll try to see if i can get it via your guy otherwise defender have them for $419 usd.

I ended up cutting the sensor wire as it wasn't working and as it apparently has nothing to do with the pump and it's power source. It was impossibly short to be able to reconect anyway and only one of the 4 wires was attached anyway. Ridiculous positioning...........

Thanks for your ideas i hadn't thought of flushing via the pump out port. we don't have any pumpout stations her in Aus.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So I've ordered my groco macerator from Defender Marine whilst their price was more Depco wanted twice as much for freight so it was an easy decision to make when I am already paying $100 freight.

The one I removed was very RUSTY around the edge of the bellows and on some other parts. Please correct me if I'm wrong but if I keep the new one wet all the time ie. no exposure to oxygen then it shouldn't rust???

Just wondering about the best way to ensure I don't need to do that again.

Enough Already

Reaction score
Not really sure on that one. Maybe Grady White cust service would have an opinion. I always flush the system with fresh water as indicated above and then pump it completely out. I then add some lubricant to the head, hand pump some through and then pop the tank pump just for a second or two to get the lubricant into the motor. So basically, I finish up with a dry pump and empty tank.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well my macerator arrived less than 7 days after order. Excellent service from defender.
I had it back in the boat inside 2 hours, not as bad as I was expecting, if it hadn't have been for those pesky 2 screws on the wiring bterminals trying to get them in their holes with cable pushing them out and not being able to see the holes because it was behind my hand and there is only room for one hand in the hatch (get the picture) then i dropped one in the dark recess' of the bilge (never to be seen again). That got the sweat going peww!

Anyway it's in and after checking that all the wiring looked ok on the control panel in the head I pressed the button....... I heard the motor for maybe 5 seconds and then it thru' the circuit breaker. It was doing this prior to replacement but there was no macerator motor nise then.

Just wondering where to go next? thanks Electricity is not my forte'

Enough Already

Reaction score
Wow, tough break. The only thing I can think of is some sort of obstruction with the macerator. Are you sure the screw did not fall in to the tank? :lol: Only other thought is did you accidentally switch the wires and have the pump running backwards? Other than that, I am not so talented on the electrical front.

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm quite sure the macerator is not at fault, as i ran it on the bench prior to installation. I hope I'm right in assuming that the orange wire + on the macerator is also orange + on the grady?
I will have my tech friend look at the elctrical side this weekend. I wondered if there was a blockage in the outlet pipe would that extra force cause the breaker to throw?

OffDuty

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So how difficult do you think this repair is. I've found the top of the tank. No strange tools required. I'm wondering if I can do this myself. Mine seems to have died. I press my "macerate and discharge" and it blows the fuse. I tested the electricity to the top of the unit and without the unit attached I get current when the button is pressed and no popping of the fuse.

ahill

Reaction score
Depco is an outstanding company. Their techs are knowledgable and helpful. I've had numerous issues with my Jabsco head and they've always come thru!

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The difficulty is really only in the position of your holding tank? If you can get to the nuts holding the plate and the clips on the hoses and you have room above to lift out the pump then it is relatively simple...........