GT56UHD transducer pitch?

Bruinjay

Reaction score
Hi Gan… I believe my transducer pitch may be off as it’s reading 85 feet in a 13 foot slip. For those of you who are currently running this transducer, do you have it oriented dead flat with the bottom of the boat, or with some pitch to it? If the latter, approximately how many degrees do you have a pinched up or down?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Go to the sternmate .com website for a lot of good mounting advice. Ideally I believe the transducer should be parallel with the sea bottom depending on the angle of the boat but placing a straight edge along the bottom of the hull with a transducer 3/8” below that straight edge should be close to ideal. The angle of your transducer will not create a 70 foot error unless it is pointed nearly straight forward or straight back. Since most boats cruise at a slight nose up attitude, a slight rise in the rear end of the transducer, say 5 Degrees should maintain it parallel with the bottom of the ocean.

Harrysea

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I have mine angled slightly down at the rear. My thinking was that this would give me a picture of the bottom before I reached it. As a fisherman, this made sense to me, but it probably doesn’t make a whole lot of difference. I also have an Airmar thru hull transducer mounted about five feet forward of the transom that displays depth on a second MFD. The bottom readings of the two transducer are within half a foot of each other. I absolutely love the GT56UHD transducer.

Bruinjay

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. I ended up setting it with an ever so slight rear downward angle as well. Found it super easy to adjust in the water with a Phillips and wrench…no sunken tools yet…lol

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
Installed a GT56UHD this year, great at low speeds or in flat water, gets a bit grainy in rougher conditions. I've read a slight tilt down at the rear will help, put more water in contact.

BTW, what size wrench to adjust?