Guest Battery Selector

Deep Blue

Reaction score
On my Sailfish I have three batteries; the #1 setting on the Guest Battery Selector is two batteries wired together in parallel and #2 is the third battery. The section in the GW manual (below) doesn't answer my question - under normal operation you set Port to #2 and Starboard to #1, so when do you use the "Both" setting?

1549314211343.png

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The "Both" position should put all three batteries in parallel for whichever switch (engine) is in "Both." This could be used if either of the banks are weak and three batteries would be needed to start an engine. Think of the switch being permanently assigned to either port or starboard engine. Starboard switch to starboard engine, port switch to port engine. You can connect either engine to either bank of batteries/battery or both. For example, if both switches are selected to ,say, #1 battery bank, then both engines would be started from #1 bank and would charge the #1 bank, not necessarily a good idea to have two different systems charging the same battery bank. Might not matter with more modern charging systems, but I don't do it. Also remember to never go thru "OFF" when changing selections with engines running as disconnecting all batteries from the engine charging system might damage the charging system. It is OK to change selections from 1 to 2 or both as the switches are "make before break" type switches which never go to off in between active selections (1,2, or both) If all of you batteries are kept in good condition the "Both" position is seldom if ever used. Hope that helps.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
what he said.
You should not need to use Both.
Suppose your stbd motor starts fine using bank#1 and your port motor won't start using bank #2 (bank #2 is not charged). Switch the port switch to #1 and you will start it using the same good batteries that started your stbd motor.
No need to use Both.
If you used Both instead of #1 then you would be putting a weak battery (#2) in parallel with a good battery (#1). The weak battery will try to charge from the good battery, bringing ALL of them down.

If you need to use the BOTH setting then ALL of your batteries are not fully charged.
You should NEVER leave either switch on Both.

Deep Blue

Reaction score
Thank you, I purchased three brand new AGM's and wanted to make sure they're happy.