Gulf Fishing Closure

Bama96

Reaction score
Well Snapper season opened in the Gulf today. Looks like it will be short lived. 31% of the Gulf shut down. Damn you BP. :twisted:

closuremap_06012010.jpg

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
the thing I just dont get is all the people still buying at the BP stations!

WHY??? If you want to send the careless idiots at the top a message, a boycott is the answer. Otherwise its just another cost of doing business

Desperado

Reaction score
Not buying BP gas will hurt BP, but it will also hurt the gas station owner. Most are independant owners locked in contracts.

Still sucks. Looks like my Sailfish will spend most of the summer on the trailer the way things are going.

wanderer200

Reaction score
If I killed a short fish, lobster without permit, dolphin, went over bag limit, etc, etc, I would be fined 120.00 per fish. Soooooooo the way I see it, after buying out all the people losing there buisness and the fines they should get for the marine kill, I`m thinkin free gas from bp till the gulf is back to normal or 50 yrs. Which ever comes first.

(and they need to find that kid that put his finger in the dike to stop the leak!)

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
[quote="Still sucks. Looks like my Sailfish will spend most of the summer on the trailer the way things are going.[/quote]

You're right...it does suck. Just heard on the news last night they expect the oil to make it to SC in a month or so.

DB

Reaction score
oil

Why can't they just get a big wet vac and start sucking all the oil and water into tankers?

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
BP did not purposefully do this. Are they to blame? You bet, but are they evil? No, 26 days until we head to the Keys! I am going to relax, fish, snorkel and so forth. I sure hope I can take the kids fishing and swimming! There is a slight benefit to all this possibly, a silver lining maybe...the fishery is closed, maybe the fish stock gets healthier or numbers increase next year or so due to the fishing pressure being greatly reduced? Just trying to be an optimist....

JUMPNJACK

Reaction score
Nasty!

The closed area grew to 37% of Federal waters the following day after Snapper season opened. Went out of Appalachicola in fairly rough seas on Memorial day weekend. Only went out about 20 miles due to the conditions and a seasick crew member. Did'nt really notice any oil in the water 15 miles southeast of St. George Island but when I hauled the boat out of the water it had a nasty little oil scum ring around the water line. This is going to be very ugly very soon! :cry:

Got Grady?

Reaction score
By the sea by the sea by the beaut.......
Now that the riser is cut off why cant they stick a plug in it is my question. Are they trying to salvage some oil to help cover the costs they are now experiencing? A plug designed like the twist in kind for the older boats using hydraulic pressure should seal it right off.

Doc Stressor

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The blow out preventer is damaged. They assessed that early on. They are still concerned that completely closing all 4 vents might cause the BOP to blow up now that the top hat is in place.

The only real solution is to plug the well from underneath. That's what the relief wells are all about.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Smoky..When your down there, ask around and try to get a feel as to what they think is gonna happen there.
The Gulfstream runs parallel to the Reef on the Atlantic side. When you listen to the VHF weather, they give approximate positions of the Stream off Key West, Looe, Sombrero and Alligator Reef Lite.
Sometimes the Stream is close in (3 miles or so) and sometimes it's 20+ miles South of the Reef.
I think there's a possibility that if the oil gets caught up in the slick it might stay in the Stream, caught in it's eddys and currents and not affect the island chain as it gets swept toward Miami and the East Coast.
Strikezone said it's anticipated to make SC in a Month..The same scenario might happen there and it just stays in the Stream current, and doesn't make landfall.

One more thing on my rant here..I read this morning on my Comcast.net Homepage that
"Tar Balls Crash into the Fla. and Ala. area beaches."
Tar Balls don't "crash" into anything. They might wash up onshore..The media is doing every little thing it can to blow this up..if nothing else by their choice of words..It's bad enough without their inaccurate descriptions.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Magic,
I know the dockmaster at Pennekamp. I will be calling scott and getting some first hand news of the slick. I doubt the oil will be effecting the reef line directly and closing it. I am looking forward to taking the Grady to humps off of Islemorada for dolphin, wahoo etc. Selfishly, I hope the fishery is not closed. Altruistically, I hope the fishery is not closed because it will mean the impact is not as bad as it could be on the environment.

I will give y'all a real time report when we head down there. Tarballs float, waves, big waves crash, the only time the gulf has big crashing waves are during big storms...

I hate the hyperbole the media used on June 1st, the start of hurricane season. The nawing of teeth, panic and so forth of speculating the catastrophe of mixing the oil with a hurricane. You would think Hurricane Camille or Katrina was 3 days away from the way they were freaking out. What we need is reasoned thought coupled with pragmatic solutions both technically and politically here, not the blame game...the barn door is open, the cows are all over and the media and the President focus on who let the darn door open, versus how do we collect the cows....get the cows first, then spank the culprits second...duh....

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Perfectly said Mr Smoky..
Have a great trip..send us the news as you can!