Gulf Stream ride versus Trophy Pro

fighterpilot

Reaction score
I am going to look at both style boats Monday. I know they both have minimal cabins but decent cockpits, with the Trophy Pro being a little larger. I have head the Trophy Pro in chop pounds the helmsman because the helm is a little further forward than say a sailfish. Don't know about the Gulfstream. Any actual experience or opinions. The gulfstream is a 1992 and the Trophy Pro a 1988. Both have twin engines. 150 on the Gulfstream and 200 on the Trophy Pro. Thanks

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hey Fighter..
I cannot give a direct comparison..I DO have a Gulfstream and HAD a Seafarer 22.

The difference is night-and-day..

The Seafarer beam is 8'0 (I think) and the Gulfstream is 9'3. I think the Trophy Pro is 8'6.
Anyway, the Gulfstream is waaayy better riding than the Seafarer. I would think it would ride better than the Trophy also.
Reason?? The large beam and the weight. It's the biggest 23-footer there is.

I'm speculating, of course, but I'm pretty sure you'll really like the Gulfstream if you make that move.

fighterpilot

Reaction score
Gulfstream ride

Thanks for the reply. The only 23 foot boat I am considering in my search is the Gulfstream, the rest are 25 foot boats. I believe the GW Trophy Pro is also a wide beam but someplace I saw it was a modified V and not a deep V. I want all the fishing area I can get so I have given up on GW Sailfish. May have to reconsider. Worried about transom rot in the older Gradys, however. Looking at Wellcraft Coastal 2600s, and the big Hydra-Sports. They both are Deep V and wide beam. Again Thanks. Fighterpilot

gw204

Reaction score
Despite being 2' shorter, I bet the '92 Gulfsream will ride better than the '88 Trophy Pro due to the fact that the Gulfstream has the Sea V2 hull.

If you want the best of both worlds, look for a '92 or later 25' Dolphin.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I agree with the earlier post/ I have had a seafarer, Gulfstream and Sailfish. You really can't compare the rides because each boat is so much bigger and heavier than previous one. Have no experience with the trophy to comment

whitey

Reaction score
i'm selling my trophy pro,recently bought an albermarle.i've moved up the grady sizes and to be bruttally honest,the 25 trophy pro i have now doesn't ride all that well.the boat will pound you pretty good in a 3' sea.i had oversized tabs installed,to try and get the bow further in the water,but,again,the effect on the pounding is minimal.i don't understand how i read other owners being able to cruise at a much higher speed in a sea than i do.the ride on the trophy pro is much better than the 24 offshore i had-no comparison there.my neighbor has a newer grady 25 with the new hull,and it rides very similar to my trophy pro.
if you really want a nice smooth ride,try a 32 albermarle.i went fishing on one and i was so knocked out,i went out and found one and bought it.this boat is nothing short of amazing.
if you're interested in my boat,let me know,it's tied up behind my house and it's ready for a sea trial.

Reaction score
FP,

I personally consider the 23 to be a shorter version of the 25, be it a trophy, sailfish or dolphin. I think the hulls were the same just had different layouts. I would think the 25 may ride a tad better since the beams are about the same and it is 2 ft longer. Owned a sailfish that I thought had a good ride, never been on the 23. The 23 has been around for over 20 years and it's going to be on the top of my list when Im in the market since I don't need a 25. Tons of sailfish's out there on the market if you like the 25.

Mark

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
I have an 89 trophy pro and its a 9,6 beam and heavy for a 25ft boat. In a head sea you need to use the tabs a bit but thats what they are for anyway. I dont have a problem at all with the ride or maybe I'm just use to it. :D

plymouthgrady

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
gw204 said:
Despite being 2' shorter, I bet the '92 Gulfsream will ride better than the '88 Trophy Pro due to the fact that the Gulfstream has the Sea V2 hull.

I believe the Gulf went to the SeaV2 in '93 a year after the Seafarer but I could be wrong
I once thought I was wrong but I was mistaken...

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
whitey said:
i'm selling my trophy pro,recently bought an albermarle.i've moved up the grady sizes and to be bruttally honest,the 25 trophy pro i have now doesn't ride all that well.the boat will pound you pretty good in a 3' sea.i had oversized tabs installed,to try and get the bow further in the water,but,again,the effect on the pounding is minimal.i don't understand how i read other owners being able to cruise at a much higher speed in a sea than i do.the ride on the trophy pro is much better than the 24 offshore i had-no comparison there.my neighbor has a newer grady 25 with the new hull,and it rides very similar to my trophy pro.
if you really want a nice smooth ride,try a 32 albermarle.i went fishing on one and i was so knocked out,i went out and found one and bought it.this boat is nothing short of amazing.
if you're interested in my boat,let me know,it's tied up behind my house and it's ready for a sea trial.

A 25 Trophy/Sailfish is a totally different animal than the 32 Albemarle, you just can't compare the two. How many 25's can you buy with the same money as the 32? Almost double to dock it, maintain it and feed it plus it weighs 3 times as much. I would love a 32 Albemarle or 35 Carolina but that's not in the cards right now.

CaptKennyW

Reaction score
RUMBLEFISH said:
I have an 89 trophy pro and its a 9,6 beam and heavy for a 25ft boat. In a head sea you need to use the tabs a bit but thats what they are for anyway. I dont have a problem at all with the ride or maybe I'm just use to it. :D

ill second that, they are heavy boats and take the seas well.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
CaptKennyW said:
RUMBLEFISH said:

They don't ride that bad just don't expect to run 40 MPH in a tight 3'-4' seas. A few weeks ago we were out and the seas were 3-4 but a long period. The boat ran better going faster than slower.

RUMBLEFISH

Reaction score
Grog said:
CaptKennyW said:
RUMBLEFISH said:

They don't ride that bad just don't expect to run 40 MPH in a tight 3'-4' seas. A few weeks ago we were out and the seas were 3-4 but a long period. The boat ran better going faster than slower.

Your right because at 40 mph I would be burning about 24gph and a big no thanks to that. :wink: