Gulfstream 205 range?

Bad Dog II

Reaction score
Model
CHOOSE
Bought a 1982 Gulfstream with the 470 engine. Outdrive is being rebuilt and refitted as it had water in the lower unit and in the bellows too.
My question is; what kind of range should I expect from this vessel? Thanks in advance for your advise.

HMBJack

Reaction score
Two steps.

Step One:
Fill it up (fully), and use it for several trips keeping track of your miles on a GPS (could be a simple hand held unit). This serves as your odometer.
Then, after your several trips of use (and miles), write down the # of miles and fill her up (fully).
Divide the miles by the # of gallons it took to top her off and you'll get your economy.

Step Two:
Look closely at your gas tank for a LABEL showing capacity. Most have them on the top somewhere. Let's assume you find the label (it could be near the fuel gauge sender on the top or near the filler or vent hose area on top). Let's say you find it and it says "150G" or 150 gallons. Since you can't ever get every drop of gas out of your tank, I like to be conservative and multiply the Tank Capacity by .80 to determine the true useable amount of fuel with a baked in "reserve" so to speak.

So if your economy is 1.9 miles per gallon from step One above, and, in step Two you determine you have a 150 gallon tank, your safe operating range would be 228 miles (150G X .80 X 1.9). Hope this helps.

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
So if your economy is 1.9 miles per gallon from step One above, and, in step Two you determine you have a 150 gallon tank, your safe operating range would be 228 miles (150G X .80 X 1.9). Hope this helps.

"I'll never use this after I graduate!" Said every kid in High School to his math teacher!!!!
;)

Reactions: HMBJack