Gulfstream 232 bilge pump/switch

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Got out to the boat and both batteries down where turning key was nothing. Charged back up and heard small noise coming from bilge. Appears the bilge pump might have drained batteries down. Disconnected pump wire and it of course stopped. Question is whether the pump or switch is most likely the problem and of source the difficulty of reaching either in the bilge. Before I go to far any words of wisdom on testing? Heading to the boat in an hour…

Note the dash switch doesn’t turn it off.

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The float switch may have got debris under it or bound up, preventing it from disconnecting the pump. It may also have failed internally but that's unlikely.

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Cleaned around it and don’t see or feel anything restricting

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The float switch may have got debris under it or bound up, preventing it from disconnecting the pump. It may also have failed internally but that's unlikely.
Agree.

Randy, if you disconnected the "pump wire" from the battery (you weren't clear) then you disconnected the float switch. You don't have a problem with the pump. Unless you have an auto/all-in-one pump - only you will know that answer :)

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Edit to add: I am a slow typer , most of the following was covered while I was responding.

The switch is the most likely culprit. Even though it is hard to reach, can you get a good look at it? Does it appear to be fully down, or slightly elevated. Try reaching it with something that will let you move it up and down, like a boat hook, a gaff, or even just a piece of wood with a screw in the end of it. I would want to see if there was something underneath it, and then I would try to blast around it with a water hose to clean the area as well as the hinge of the float.

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Took the bilge switch out and discovered the pin was broken on the left side of the float causing it to catch. Probably broken for some time But replaced with new and redid all connections in the bilge area (last ones from when I purchased two years ago.

Real pain to put back in due to my size but a total 90 minutes to take out/in wasn’t bad.

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Agree.

Randy, if you disconnected the "pump wire" from the battery (you weren't clear) then you disconnected the float switch. You don't have a problem with the pump. Unless you have an auto/all-in-one pump - only you will know that answer :)
Yes I recognized the one I cut this morning and concentrated on switch. Back together and working like new.

seasick

Reaction score
True he float switch probably was stuck but unless you left the battery switch on BOTH, a constant running bilge pump should only run down one battery ( or battery bank).