Gulfstream 232 Bow / Anchor Access

darkarcher

Reaction score
1991-2 Grady 232

I replaced the motor on my EZ Anchor puller. On the bow where the puller sits seems to be able to open towards the stern on 2 hinges mounted to the front of the boat. There are 4 large flat head screws that appear to hold the lid closed. They don't seem to loosen just spin. Is there a specific way to open this lid that I just don't know about. There is no specific information in the owners manual that I can find.

I need to extend the primary battery cables and I would like to make the block connection under that lid.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Is this an original equipement piece? If you didn't find mention of this particular style of windlass in the manual, then I suspect you or previous owner installed it? It sure sounds like a non-oem style. Since you have the opening anchor hatch, that also sounds like it was installed by an owner. Do you have any access to where these flatheads might be thru-bolted via the cabin? How 'bout a small access hole to port or starboard of the hatch? If there are no access hatches then those screws may simply be screws... not bolts. In which case they are stripped and you will need to pry up on them at the same time you are turning. Maybe post a picture.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Don't you have access to the anchor locker via the vee berth in the cabin? I did something similar when installing a windlass on my 225. I replaced the original hatch with a thick piece of starboard, so that I could restore to original if I wanted. Mine has 2 hinges on the port side, but I fastened the hatch down with a self-tightening hasp directly behind the windlass, to prevent the hatch being ripped off if it ever popped up under load. Sounds like someone did something similar here, except they screwed, or bolted, it down.

darkarcher

Reaction score
I am going to take some photos. I may just be to old to contort into a position where I could see up that high.

HA

My setup actually resembles the boat in the header on the right. My anchor puller sits exactly there.