Gulfstream 232 for overnights

Tdblanchard

Reaction score
Website
www.dameronfarm.com
I’m looking to upgrade from my 1988 Pursuit 22 CC to something I can bring one or two of my kids on little overnight trips. Nothing bigger than 28’ and I prefer an outboard. I have a guy offering his 2002 Grady White 232 Gulfstream for $25k, which seems like a great price(?). I’m just wondering if it’ll do for an overnighter…
thoughts?

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sure it will. I owned one for 10 years and stayed aboard for sometimes weeks at a time. You can stretch out on the starboard side berth unless your as tall as Magic Johnson. I'm 5' 11" and I was comfortable. Directly above the stbd berth, a bunk folds out and straps are provided to secure it in the "down" position.

Perspective and personal tastes are important here. If your expectations are more in line with staying at a Marriott or the amenities provided by a large cruiser, then the Gulfstream will fall short. If, on the other hand, you treat it as a "getaway camping experience," it'll do the job.

Pack light, and minimize luggage. It'll take up valuable room below. Yes, you can store it on deck under the hardtop unless it's blowing rain-then the weather canvas has to go up to keep it dry.

You will not have shorepower, therefore no heat or A/C. I hear of some rigging a portable A/C unit as an aftermarket add-on, but that sounds like a huge hassle to me. Depending on the climate where you boat that may or may not matter.

Bottom Line: Yes, it can easily be done.

Sloose

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
I’m looking to upgrade from my 1988 Pursuit 22 CC to something I can bring one or two of my kids on little overnight trips. Nothing bigger than 28’ and I prefer an outboard. I have a guy offering his 2002 Grady White 232 Gulfstream for $25k, which seems like a great price(?). I’m just wondering if it’ll do for an overnighter…
thoughts?
My uncle had a 232 and the one thing he told me about the 232 is: *make sure it isnt underpowered* ... He had twin 150s, but I've heard him and many others say the 232s with a single 225 or a 250 are rather underpowered. The 232 is a big girl and digs a big hole. His 232 was an absolute tank though. Rock solid. There is a rather good one in my area that I just looked at, it's an 07 with ~800 hours on the F150s. Really in beautiful shape and i think it can be had for low 40s.

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
A 2007 w/ twin 150's +- 800 hours at $40k would be a steal and seems way below market. Look very hard at the details. You may get the deal of the decade, or may be taking someone's problems off their hands.

The 232 is cozy. Not a ton of extra room, but good for an overnight or two. The head is in the cabin, so you have to lift bed cushions to use it.

Sloose

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257

i have looked at it in person. The gelcoat and rub rails are flawless. Very good condition. The only issues i found were:

stbd motor has pretty bad dock or rope rash. Will need the lower cowling replaced or repaired and painted

the isinglass is worn, and scuffed and at the end of its service life. Some of the zippers are broken but functional. The enclosure is usable and functional but will need repair or replacement within a year.

the broker said the price is 45 but I bet they will accept 40. They will not seatrial without a written offer because the boat is in dry storage and would require paying the marina to launch it. which is why I walked away. It is not really the model i am looking for either.

Sloose

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
The broker pictures are admittedly awful. I have better pictures of the dock rash if you are still interested. The cushions in the vberth look like theyve never even been sat on.

Tdblanchard

Reaction score
Website
www.dameronfarm.com
That '06 looks pretty nice but I have to say that after doing quite a bit of looking around I think I'm getting a pretty amazing deal @ $25k.
It may be a bit "under powered" with the single 250 but we took it out on the Bay and she purred like a kitten.
My kids are all under 10 so we won't be weighing her down much at all.
Looks like I'm soon gonna be part of the Grady Family :)
Thanks for all the comments everyone!

Reactions: Paul_A

Byram

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I hope it works out. Getting the kids on the water is priceless and they have so much fun. But they do grow .With my 3 we started with a 22 and as they grew the next boat was 28 and up to a 31 and an 18 sportsman tender. Now all are in college. Enjoy every moment and be patient

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
tblanchard:

Be aware that with a single, docking in a wind and/or current will be challenging. With the 9' 3" beam and just the one engine doing the work, horsing that thing into a slip or around a dock will take some maneuvering. It can certainly be done, however. Enjoy!

Reactions: MLangley