Gulfstream 232 Fuel Tank Removal (1990)

darkarcher

Reaction score
I have replaced the rear fuel tank with little to no issue. The front fuel tank is a completely different story. I was unable to remove the tank. It was too wide to pull out of the hole after removing the floor panel.

I am first wondering if I am just missing the "trick" to getting out and if not what have others done to get this tank out.

I am wanting to make some longer runs and would like to have the use of this tank.

With todays fuel prices I can actually afford to fill both tanks :<>< :jaw

Thanks in advance!

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
If its junk cut it up.

darkarcher

Reaction score
Oh it is junk for sure. I am going to bring it back to MS and cut it up and either use some of the metal for projects or throw it away.

The problem right now is I cant get it out. Cutting some of the lip off is what I'll have to do I guess. I am not sure cutting it up in the hole is something I could do. Would you use a reciprocating saw?

gw204

Reaction score
Cutting the lip is way easier than cutting up the tank. I had to trim less than a 1/4" off of the lip in my 227 and then I could lift the tank straight up and out.

darkarcher

Reaction score
When trimming the lip what tool did you use or what would or what would you suggest?

gw204

Reaction score
I think I used a grinder with a metal cutting disc. Hold it tight so it doesn't get away from you...

Also, don't throw the old tank away. Recycle it. You will be surprised at how much it's worth.

BIG CATCH

Reaction score
I changed my 2 tanks on my 88 Sailfish, lip was in the way on just a small area, I used my oscillating multi tool to trim it back, very easy with that tool. The tanks are easy to replace, the fuel fill hoses are a whole different story.

Lt.Mike

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Harpoon said:
If its junk cut it up.
Thats what I ended up doing. I trimmed what I could and the bugger still wouldn't slip out so i ended up using a sawsall and cutting it in half.
Then I had to repair what I trimmed which is something I would never had done if I'd known. :roll:
Mike.

transfib

Reaction score
I recommend that you don't cut the tank up to remove it!
If there is any fuel or fumes in the tank any spark from your tool might cause an explosion.
Cut the lip as others have recommended, remove the tank and drain any remaining fuel before recycling or disposal.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Sounds like a major PITA. I hope the tanks on my 232 are good ! They look pretty clean.

BIG CATCH

Reaction score
If its a old Grady with an aluminum tank sitting on those neoprene strips the factory used its a good chance there are some bad spot on the bottom and the top for that matter, my tanks were ate up.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Its a 96, and yes that appears to be the set up. I'll be sure to flush them with fresh water routinely (as recommended in manual btw). Curious, do you have a hard top ? I don't get much salt water on the deck except for the washdown.

BIG CATCH

Reaction score
Yes, I have a hardtop, water finds its way in there,Grady didn't do a great job sealing the tank boxes very well , I had gaps in the corners that were not fiber glassed well,and not sure I would hose them down as the manual says, its water between the neoprene and the tank that causes the problem and your not going to be able to get that out.

Harpoon

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
26 year old boat .... stuff starts to happen. You wont see many 26 year old bayliners around.

JeffN

Reaction score
I replaced my tank last year. Got 32 years out of it. Sides and bottom looked great, had corrosion on the top of the tank under the Beckson ports. The tank came out through the hole with a little persuasion. When I cut the tank up to dispose of it the inside looked like new. Kind of surprising I thought. Not too painful a project fortunately.