Gulfstream 232 with black bottom paint - how to clean

Pfu

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Never had a boat with painted bottom. Been reviewing options on best method to clean bottom and scum line. Most Vermont power boats are not painted. Not sure I have found anything yet and wanted to reach out to those owners having a painted bottom. Tips?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
You shouldn't need to do much - especially if you get on it right after pulling it out since everything will be soft. It should just be, if anything, a soft scum/algae. Rinse it down, use a soft brush and soap - that should do it. Power washing can be done, but tends to take more of the paint off.

Reactions: PointedRose

PointedRose

Reaction score
Model
Overnighter
Can get this at the dollar store and it does well on the tough grime in a spray bottle with water. I use it for the stains above the paint boot stripe line.

Attachments

• 1632920780052.jpeg
    1632920780052.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

nuclear

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Use a power washer on mine. Anything above the paint line is removed with toilet bowl cleaner and plenty of water to rinse after. Anything tougher (i.e. barnacles) needs to be scraped off.

Reactions: PointedRose

seasick

Reaction score
Use a power washer on mine. Anything above the paint line is removed with toilet bowl cleaner and plenty of water to rinse after. Anything tougher (i.e. barnacles) needs to be scraped off.
Never had a boat with painted bottom. Been reviewing options on best method to clean bottom and scum line. Most Vermont power boats are not painted. Not sure I have found anything yet and wanted to reach out to those owners having a painted bottom. Tips?
I guess we don't have enough info to offer the possible options.
Is your boat launched and hauled for each trip?
If not, how long is it in the water typically?
What kind of water, salt, brackish or 'fresh'?
The scum line can get different kinds of staining. It depends again on the local waters.