gulfstream 232

artchie2022

Reaction score
Model
Weekender
Is Toyota Tundra1794 (2 wheel drive) towing capacity capable to tow gulfstream fully loaded,I think tundra can pull up to 11000 lbs I mostly worry about lunch ramp
Thank you

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm not sure what the "1794" means after the Tundra but I agree that you shouldn't have any issues with the "towing" part of that vehicle, but I think your biggest issue will be the launch. I've got a 2010 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7L motor as well as 4WD but I always like to put it in 4LO/HI when at the ramp just to play it safe because the launch I use can be rather steep and have a lot of rocks and seaweed on it. The Tundra has plenty of towing power but being able to get all of that power to the tires without them spinning is going to be your biggest concern imo. Things like getting new tires, having a few buddies sit on the tailgate can definitely help but the 232 Gulfstream is also a considerably heavier boat than my 228 Seafarer. My uncle had a 26' Bayliner with a 1995 Ford F-250 with a 7.3L diesel in it but it was RWD and that was definitely a $hit show anytime we would launch the boat. I tried using that truck with my previous boat which was a 21' Arima that is very light and only weighs around 5k lbs for the boat, motor and trailer, and even that would just spin the tires. I'd honestly consider a different truck that has 4WD, depending on what the condition of your launch/ramp is, as it's very unnerving sitting in the truck and listening to the tires spin without going anywhere. That as well as sliding back made me not ever want to launch a boat with a RWD pickup truck again, especially if you're doing it solo and don't have any buddies around to help.

Last edited:
Reactions: langski93

artchie2022

Reaction score
Model
Weekender
I'm not sure what the "1794" means after the Tundra but I agree that you shouldn't have any issues with the "towing" part of that vehicle, but I think your biggest issue will be the launch. I've got a 2010 Toyota Tundra with the 5.7L motor as well as 4WD but I always like to put it in 4LO/HI when at the ramp just to play it safe because the launch I use can be rather steep and have a lot of rocks and seaweed on it. The Tundra has plenty of towing power but being able to get all of that power to the tires without them spinning is going to be your biggest concern imo. Things like getting new tires, having a few buddies sit on the tailgate can definitely help but the 232 Gulfstream is also a considerably heavier boat than my 228 Seafarer. My uncle had a 26' Bayliner with a 1995 Ford F-250 with a 7.3L diesel in it but it was RWD and that was definitely a $hit show anytime we would launch the boat. I tried using that truck with my previous boat which was a 21' Arima that is very light and only weighs around 5k lbs for the boat, motor and trailer, and even that would just spin the tires. I'd honestly consider a different truck that has 4WD, depending on what the condition of your launch/ramp is, as it's very unnerving sitting in the truck and listening to the tires spin without going anywhere. That as well as sliding back made me not ever want to launch a boat with a RWD pickup truck again, especially if you're doing it solo and don't have any buddies around to help.
Thank you very much tundra 1794 is just the name 1794 edition, im going to have new Grapller tires so tis i think will help .The ramp is not that steep

Pescadote

Reaction score
Also to consider is how far you have to tow the boat and under which conditions. I have about a two hour drive to the coast and it is hilly and curvy. I had a Tundra and it pulled my Seafarer fine, but it was the cornering and stopping quickly that was concerning to me. At times it felt like the boat was pushing me around. I think the 232 is significantly heavier than a 228.

I ended up selling the Toyota and getting a Duramax 2500. I also agree with Mustang, there are times that 4WD is needed at boat ramps.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

artchie2022

Reaction score
Model
Weekender
Also to consider is how far you have to tow the boat and under which conditions. I have about a two hour drive to the coast and it is hilly and curvy. I had a Tundra and it pulled my Seafarer fine, but it was the cornering and stopping quickly that was concerning to me. At times it felt like the boat was pushing me around. I think the 232 is significantly heavier than a 228.

I ended up selling the Toyota and getting a Duramax 2500. I also agree with Mustang, there are times that 4WD is needed at boat ramps.
Thank you boat ramp that's what i'm worry about

seasick

Reaction score
Your towed load not counting the trailer will be about 7500 pounds with some gear, water and fuel. Add the trailer and in theory your towing capacity is OK.
For example ramps that are in areas where the tidal swing is high will often have slimy and therefore slippery surfaces during lower tides. That means your rear tires will be on a potentially really slick surface and I wouldn't want to be in that situation with that load and only rear wheel drive. If you can observe or talk to boaters at the ramp in question, that would be of much more help. See what loads folks are hauling and what vehicles they are using.

Reactions: PointedRose

reel cookin

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have been towing with my tundra platinum 4x4 for 12 years and never had a problem on the road or at the ramp. Point lookout boat ramp in maryland is very steep and never used the 4 wheel drive.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I towed a 232 Gulfstream for 10 years. it weighed 10,100 fully loaded & fueled. Your Tundra will pull it OK, but the truck (and you) will know it's there.

If you plan on towing significant distances and over hilly terrain. like Pescadote says, I would consider a heavier-duty tow vehicle.

4WD is nice to have, but in the 10 years of towing that boat, launching on Lake Cumberland, Great Lakes, and Florida, I maybe used it one or two times. The tongue weight on my rear wheels gave it enough grip that the tires never spun, although I rarely launched on slippery ramps. That said, if I had a choice between 2WD and 4WD, I would certainly choose the 4WD just to have it, because when you need it, you need it.

One more thing:

Technically you need an Overwide Permit to tow anything over 8' 6". The Gulfstream tapers from a 9' 3" beam amidships to around 8' 9" at the stern, so it's hard to really tell the craft is overwide from behind. I've never gotten stopped, but I didn't drive 75 MPH and made a Billboard out of myself to an Officer.

Your choice whether to get the permit or not. Some do, some don't.

seasick

Reaction score
I towed a 232 Gulfstream for 10 years. it weighed 10,100 fully loaded & fueled. Your Tundra will pull it OK, but the truck (and you) will know it's there.

If you plan on towing significant distances and over hilly terrain. like Pescadote says, I would consider a heavier-duty tow vehicle.

4WD is nice to have, but in the 10 years of towing that boat, launching on Lake Cumberland, Great Lakes, and Florida, I maybe used it one or two times. The tongue weight on my rear wheels gave it enough grip that the tires never spun, although I rarely launched on slippery ramps. That said, if I had a choice between 2WD and 4WD, I would certainly choose the 4WD just to have it, because when you need it, you need it.

One more thing:

Technically you need an Overwide Permit to tow anything over 8' 6". The Gulfstream tapers from a 9' 3" beam amidships to around 8' 9" at the stern, so it's hard to really tell the craft is overwide from behind. I've never gotten stopped, but I didn't drive 75 MPH and made a Billboard out of myself to an Officer.

Your choice whether to get the permit or not. Some do, some don't.
Does your fully loaded weight of 10,100 lbs. include the trailer?

Fishtales

Reaction score
Your likely on the edge but ok from a tow capacity standpoint. The ramp is a different story. Material, condition, pitch (tide may also affect) are factors. I don't like the idea of a 2 wheel vehicle at the ramp. Could make it a long day with lots of fans around.

billyttpd

Reaction score
A Toyota Tundra at the end of the day is a half ton truck. You're asking a lot of it to safely and confidently tow a Gulfstream.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

With regards to your figure of 10,100 lbs... is that an actual scale weight or just weights of the boat, trailer, gear and so forth all added up? I ask because on the Grady White website it says that the tested weight of a brand new 232 Gulfstream with twin F150's on it is "7228 lb. (including persons, fuel, water, gear, engines & accessories)". And with twin F200's it is "7025 lb. (including persons, fuel, water, gear, engines & accessories)". Now they don't specifically list on that page of their website exactly how many gallons of fuel that includes, though I would have to imagine it's probably at least 20 gallons or so of fuel and it includes, as stated above, persons, water, gear, engines and accessories. Which again is somewhat vague, as it doesn't say if that's 2 or 3 people or whatnot, but with it saying "persons" it would make me think that number would be at least 2 people. Even if that figure of 7,228 lbs was a boat that had a completely empty fuel tank, most 232 Gulfstream's tend to have around a 140 gallon tank. A gallon of fuel weighs around 6 lbs / gallon putting a full tank of fuel at around 840 lbs, which would be 8,068 lbs before the weight of the trailer.

I'm thinking even if the trailer was 1,200 lbs or more in weight and the boat was decently loaded up, that the total weight of the boat should be closer to the 9,000 lb range. At least, that's if the numbers that the GW website gives are accurate. Which again is a completely fueled boat with also the weight of at least two people, a partially full fuel tank, test gear and so forth. Lastly, with regards to a 4WD truck... yes you may only need to use it a few times over the years but it more than pays for itself after you've been on a slippery ramp and are just spinning tires using a RWD truck. The YouTube channel Wavy Boats / Bronco's Guru always has great videos of guys at the boat ramps with RWD trucks that spin tires and need 3-4 people bouncing on the tailgate just to get traction and get the truck back up to the top of the ramp. There are also videos where they have to use a tow strap or use the outboards to help get the truck over the hump on the ramp. You can also reduce a good deal of weight by towing the boat half empty or less and then filling up the boat near your destination.

artchie2022

Reaction score
Model
Weekender
Thank you guy's for all the responses appreciate I will have brand new all terrain tires i think that would help

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
With regards to your figure of 10,100 lbs... is that an actual scale weight or just weights of the boat, trailer, gear and so forth all added up? I ask because on the Grady White website it says that the tested weight of a brand new 232 Gulfstream with twin F150's on it is "7228 lb. (including persons, fuel, water, gear, engines & accessories)". And with twin F200's it is "7025 lb. (including persons, fuel, water, gear, engines & accessories)". Now they don't specifically list on that page of their website exactly how many gallons of fuel that includes, though I would have to imagine it's probably at least 20 gallons or so of fuel and it includes, as stated above, persons, water, gear, engines and accessories. Which again is somewhat vague, as it doesn't say if that's 2 or 3 people or whatnot, but with it saying "persons" it would make me think that number would be at least 2 people. Even if that figure of 7,228 lbs was a boat that had a completely empty fuel tank, most 232 Gulfstream's tend to have around a 140 gallon tank. A gallon of fuel weighs around 6 lbs / gallon putting a full tank of fuel at around 840 lbs, which would be 8,068 lbs before the weight of the trailer.

I'm thinking even if the trailer was 1,200 lbs or more in weight and the boat was decently loaded up, that the total weight of the boat should be closer to the 9,000 lb range. At least, that's if the numbers that the GW website gives are accurate. Which again is a completely fueled boat with also the weight of at least two people, a partially full fuel tank, test gear and so forth. Lastly, with regards to a 4WD truck... yes you may only need to use it a few times over the years but it more than pays for itself after you've been on a slippery ramp and are just spinning tires using a RWD truck. The YouTube channel Wavy Boats / Bronco's Guru always has great videos of guys at the boat ramps with RWD trucks that spin tires and need 3-4 people bouncing on the tailgate just to get traction and get the truck back up to the top of the ramp. There are also videos where they have to use a tow strap or use the outboards to help get the truck over the hump on the ramp. You can also reduce a good deal of weight by towing the boat half empty or less and then filling up the boat near your destination.
Stang;
The 10,100lbs is an actual Cat Scale Weight at a Pilot Truck Stop. I always travel with the boat fully fueled, livewell full of ice and Mt Dews, and all the ancillary gear associated with boating. (Secondary Anchor, tool boxes, etc.)

My 232 had twin V6 200's and the trailer was 1950 lbs weighed separately..

I can't recall the fuel cap on the Gulfstream..180 gallons maybe? But whatever it is, I always kept the tank full.

Most 232 Gulfstreams will weigh less than mine. (it technically belongs to my Son now.) I have a dually Cummins diesel and I don't care how much the boat weighs, so I load it For Bear. I give this info to artchie so he has all the numbers and info he needs to move forward.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Stang;
The 10,100lbs is an actual Cat Scale Weight at a Pilot Truck Stop. I always travel with the boat fully fueled, livewell full of ice and Mt Dews, and all the ancillary gear associated with boating. (Secondary Anchor, tool boxes, etc.)

My 232 had twin V6 200's and the trailer was 1950 lbs weighed separately..

I can't recall the fuel cap on the Gulfstream..180 gallons maybe? But whatever it is, I always kept the tank full.

Most 232 Gulfstreams will weigh less than mine. (it technically belongs to my Son now.) I have a dually Cummins diesel and I don't care how much the boat weighs, so I load it For Bear. I give this info to artchie so he has all the numbers and info he needs to move forward.
Depending on the year, the standard fuel tank on a 232 Gulfstream appears to be in the 140-148 gallon range, but if you do have the auxiliary tank then that would be up closer to 180 gallons. I'm not sure what year your boat is or if it has the auxiliary fuel tank but it should be close to that, or you could look it up on the brochure section of the GW website. And 1,950 lbs it huge for a trailer on a 23' boat, mine comparatively is an aluminum I-beam trailer and it only weighs 975 lbs. I know the trailers on the two boats are going to be different, but an extra 1k lbs more seems like quite a bit.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Depending on the year, the standard fuel tank on a 232 Gulfstream appears to be in the 140-148 gallon range, but if you do have the auxiliary tank then that would be up closer to 180 gallons. I'm not sure what year your boat is or if it has the auxiliary fuel tank but it should be close to that, or you could look it up on the brochure section of the GW website. And 1,950 lbs it huge for a trailer on a 23' boat, mine comparatively is an aluminum I-beam trailer and it only weighs 975 lbs. I know the trailers on the two boats are going to be different, but an extra 1k lbs more seems like quite a bit.
RE: Boat Weight:

Remember, I have the F200 V6's which will weigh more than the newer 200 I-4's which I think are offered on Gulfstreams nowadays.

Our 232 is a 2007. I just looked and the fuel capacity is 150 gallons. I did not have the aux tank.

RE: Trailer Weight.

The trailer is steel. I had it custom made for the Gulfstream and it's equipped with two 7000 lb. axles and two spare tires complete with built in hubs and bearings. (That way if a bearing goes bad, I can swap it out on the side of the road and keep going.)

Remember too, that it's made for a 9' 3" wide vessel, thereby adding more steel and mass.

The trailer is a Tank and I wanted it that way. I always overbuild my stuff because of the long distance trailering I do every year.

Artchie2022:

Good luck with the boat and your towing adventures. These are great problems to have. Enjoy 2023!

Belting1313

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
My 2007 Gulfstream 232D with twin Yamaha F150’s full 150 gallon tank weighs 9500. Never weighed the trailer separately. I pull it with a 2012 Chevy 1500 4wd and it’s not enough truck. That feeling of getting ready to pull the boat up the ramp and saying a prayer that the trucks going to complete the task is not a feeling I enjoy. Shopping for a bigger truck.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
RE: Boat Weight:

Remember, I have the F200 V6's which will weigh more than the newer 200 I-4's which I think are offered on Gulfstreams nowadays.

Our 232 is a 2007. I just looked and the fuel capacity is 150 gallons. I did not have the aux tank.

RE: Trailer Weight.

The trailer is steel. I had it custom made for the Gulfstream and it's equipped with two 7000 lb. axles and two spare tires complete with built in hubs and bearings. (That way if a bearing goes bad, I can swap it out on the side of the road and keep going.)

Remember too, that it's made for a 9' 3" wide vessel, thereby adding more steel and mass.

The trailer is a Tank and I wanted it that way. I always overbuild my stuff because of the long distance trailering I do every year.
The dry weight of each v6 F200 is slightly less than a hundred pounds more than the brand new F150's or F200's, though I figured the above weight including persons would've offset that and then some. Oh well, seems a bit high to me but if you say you've measured it on a scale and the scale was accurate then that's good enough for me. That is also one of the many reasons why I prefer the aluminum trailers over galvanized steel in that they're lighter as well as they don't rust. As you mentioned above, I don't think your situation with having an oversized trailer that weighs 2k lbs will be typical of most Gulfstream owners.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The dry weight of each v6 F200 is slightly less than a hundred pounds more than the brand new F150's or F200's, though I figured the above weight including persons would've offset that and then some. Oh well, seems a bit high to me but if you say you've measured it on a scale and the scale was accurate then that's good enough for me. That is also one of the many reasons why I prefer the aluminum trailers over galvanized steel in that they're lighter as well as they don't rust. As you mentioned above, I don't think your situation with having an oversized trailer that weighs 2k lbs will be typical of most Gulfstream owners.
Belting 1313's Gulfstream weighs 9500 with 150's without his trailer. Add the weight of say, your Seafarer's trailer at 975,(his is likely heavier) and your over 10,000 lbs. Yes, mine is unusually heavy because of my trailer and my loading habits, but 10,000 lbs is not unheard of for a loaded Gulfstream.

I would assume the Cat Scale that I weighed at is accurate, although I can't swear to it. At that particular Pilot, trucks are on-and-off that scale all day. I'm guessing it's on the mark.

Artchie2022:

I think you can take away from this discussion that:

1.) Your Tundra is ok-to-marginal, but not ideal.
2.) You will more than likely jerk your Gulfstream out of the ramp successfully as long as adverse conditions, steep incline, (which you stated it didn't have) and/or slime under your rear wheels don't impact you.

I've found it's easy to spend someone else's money more than my own, but if you have the extra coin, a heavier-duty truck with 4WD will suit your purposes better.
Is it better to the tune of thousands more dollars it would cost for the bigger rig? That is, without question, your call.