gulfstream 232

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Belting 1313's Gulfstream weighs 9500 with 150's without his trailer. Add the weight of say, your Seafarer's trailer at 975,(his is likely heavier) and your over 10,000 lbs. Yes, mine is unusually heavy because of my trailer and my loading habits, but 10,000 lbs is not unheard of for a loaded Gulfstream.

I would assume the Cat Scale that I weighed at is accurate, although I can't swear to it. At that particular Pilot, trucks are on-and-off that scale all day. I'm guessing it's on the mark.
He said that "My 2007 Gulfstream 232D with twin Yamaha F150’s full 150 gallon tank weighs 9500. Never weighed the trailer separately.", which makes me believe the 9,500 lbs includes his trailer. But as is mentioned afterward, he said that he hasn't weighed the trailer by itself, so I'm guessing that means he doesn't know how much of that 9,500 lbs the trailer accounts for. Or at least that's what I got from his statement...

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Stang:

You may be correct. I had not interpreted Belting1313's post that way-therefore the 9500 may indeed include the trailer weight. Hopefully he's following this and will chime in.

Any way you slice it, the 232 Gulfstream is a "Big" 23 footer to jerk around.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Stang:

You may be correct. I had not interpreted Belting1313's post that way-therefore the 9500 may indeed include the trailer weight. Hopefully he's following this and will chime in.

Any way you slice it, the 232 Gulfstream is a "Big" 23 footer to jerk around.
Agreed, which is frustrating because when I was looking for a 228 Seafarer there were probably 3-4x as many 232 Gulfstream's that I could've bought instead. But after stepping on board of one, I quickly realized it was a much bigger boat than I needed for my intended purposes. Great boat I'm sure, but much more than I'd ever need.

Reactions: magicalbill

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
My 2007 Gulfstream 232D with twin Yamaha F150’s full 150 gallon tank weighs 9500. Never weighed the trailer separately. I pull it with a 2012 Chevy 1500 4wd and it’s not enough truck. That feeling of getting ready to pull the boat up the ramp and saying a prayer that the trucks going to complete the task is not a feeling I enjoy. Shopping for a bigger truck.
I pull my Seafarer (close but under 7000 pounds w/ trailer and gear) with a Dodge 4wd Ecodiesel (3.0L turbo) and it works fine.
My buddy has a Canyon 271 w/ a 3 axle trailer. He pulls it with the Dodge 5.7L diesel and it works great. I'm a chevy guy but agree the gas engine has no guts for towing.

I'm impressed with Dodge, my former tow vehicle was a 6.6L Duramax and I like the Dodge better.

Rlloyd

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
The spec weight on my 2003 232 is 4092 lb (dry), plus 600lb ea for the F200's. I figured that my wet weight was around 7000lb, plus trailer (2000?). I really should weigh it, as I'm surprised to hear that some are seeing 10000+lb fully loaded. One thing I've adopted recently is that I don't use or fill the Aux tank. For my use (Monterey Bay), I never have over a 30-mile day, so keeping the main tank up around 70 gallons is plenty of range for me. Up until now, I had kept both tanks full. Emptying the Aux tank and not filling the main up to 90gallons removed nearly 500lb from the cockpit, which really made a difference in performance of the boat. It didn't however, lift the transom up as much as I hoped - I'm still dragging the skegs of the motors in the water when fully tilted. Looking forward to a repower some day to the new 4-cylinder motors. Saving 200lb on the bracket should surely help my motor tilt problem.

I keep it in a slip, but for annual haulouts, I used my son-in-law's 3/4T Chevy Duramax. No problem at all.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The spec weight on my 2003 232 is 4092 lb (dry), plus 600lb ea for the F200's. I figured that my wet weight was around 7000lb, plus trailer (2000?). I really should weigh it, as I'm surprised to hear that some are seeing 10000+lb fully loaded. One thing I've adopted recently is that I don't use or fill the Aux tank. For my use (Monterey Bay), I never have over a 30-mile day, so keeping the main tank up around 70 gallons is plenty of range for me. Up until now, I had kept both tanks full. Emptying the Aux tank and not filling the main up to 90gallons removed nearly 500lb from the cockpit, which really made a difference in performance of the boat. It didn't however, lift the transom up as much as I hoped - I'm still dragging the skegs of the motors in the water when fully tilted. Looking forward to a repower some day to the new 4-cylinder motors. Saving 200lb on the bracket should surely help my motor tilt problem.

I keep it in a slip, but for annual haulouts, I used my son-in-law's 3/4T Chevy Duramax. No problem at all.
I think there are a few different things that come into play here, of which the first would be the year of the 232 Gulfstream as up until 2005 the dry weight is listed the same as yours at 4,092 lbs. That being said, it looks like in 2006 they increased the dry weight up to what it's currently at, which is 4,605 lbs. I'm not exactly sure what all was done to the boats that added an additional 500+ lbs, but it appears to be something that they stuck with and are still doing today. I'm assuming that they must've done something with the stern of the boat because of the additional weight that 4 stroke motors tend to have over 2 strokes, but I'm not certain. Though I'm thinking that's probably why there are the discrepancies about the boats as one like yours that is slightly lighter, if it had a single outboard on it with next to no fuel in the boat, no tackle, gear, bait or other equipment. Then it'll obviously be considerably less weight, and the overall total will be quite a bit lighter, especially if it's on an aluminum trailer compared to galvanized, as they typically weigh less. Comparatively, a newer boat that has the 4,605 lb dry weight with twin motors, a full fuel tank, full auxiliary tank, loaded down with gear and on a galvanized trailer is going to be another story entirely. On the GW website they say a brand new 232 Gulfstream with twin F150's on it was tested at "7228 lb. (including persons, fuel, water, gear, engines & accessories)". Of which I imagine you could probably drop at least 300-400 lbs of that weight considering it includes persons, that being said I'm sure that the testers had as little fuel in the tank to get as good of fuel economy numbers as possible. I'm thinking they probably had a max of 20-30 gallons, so if you had a full 141 gallon tank then it would be another story.

I also think that the 7k lb figure for your boat is a bit on the light side. I know it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison but my 2004 GW 228 Seafarer with a single F225 on it and about a half a tank of fuel was weighed at 5,300 lbs when I launched it on a sling after first buying it. My boat also has a dry weight of 3,510 lbs, so it's almost exactly 600 lbs less than yours, and it also only has one motor, compared to yours with two. If you add up that additional 1,200 lbs to the 5,300 lbs I mentioned before as well as add 100 extra gallons of fuel to fill up the tank, add gear and so forth then I'm thinking you're going to be well over 7k lbs just for the boat. Even more so if you had any fuel in your auxiliary tank. My rough calculation would be about 7,100 lbs just for the boat and a full tank of fuel and nothing else. If you had any additional gear, food, water, ice or anything else in the boat then it would only go up from there. I know that for me, I've got two downriggers, four fishing poles, two 15 lb downrigger balls, a net, smaller sized tackle box, lifejackets, some electronics and other things. But yes, I think you're going to be closer to the 7,500 lb mark with a full tank of fuel and a decent amount of gear in the boat. As for your trailer, I've got no idea, though mine is an aluminum I-beam dual axle trailer and it says it weighs 975 lbs on the registration. How accurate that is? I also have no idea, but yes I think it would be advantageous one of these days to have the boat and trailer weighed on a certified scale.

Reactions: Rlloyd

Belting1313

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Sorry for not being more clear. In my previous post I was including the weight of the trailer in the 9500 pounds. This was weighed at a closed truck scale along interstate 5 between Seattle and Portland. There is definitely a trade off with the Gulfstream it’s not as easy to tow due to its weight and width but when off shore it’s a tank. I love the feeling of having an extremely capable off shore boat when the weather deteriorates and the seas get nautical. Couple of years back lost track of weather while fishing tuna 65 miles off The Oregon coast and I fought big steep waves to the point that it scared hell out of me but the boat handled it way better than I did.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin

Rlloyd:

As Mustang and I were talking about, my 10,100 lb weight of my 232 is uncommon. Do not factor in my numbers when discussing a "Normal Load" scenario.
The boat belongs to my son nowadays. (I currently have a Marlin 300.) We set up the trailer to tow long distances and that we do. It goes from Northern Michigan to the Keys and back every year, and other destinations as well.

I have a 1950 lb steel galvanized tandem with 7K axles, 2 spares with rims, bearings and wheels mounted. The boat is almost always filled with fuel and we pile untold pounds of gear in the livewells, storage areas and cabin. Heck, I probably have 75lbs of ice, food and drinks in the port livewell....

It means nothing to me how heavy the boat is. I pull with a Dodge Cummins dually and I get 11-13MPG no matter how heavy or light the boat weighs in at,, so we just load it For Bear. I have the 6 cyl F200's, circa 2006.

One other thought; If you re-power to the i-4's, you'll lose some torque, which is Your Friend when getting on plane with loads of people aboard, and sawing thru tempestuous seas at 18-20MPH. Those 6cyl F200's are a perfect match for that hull.

That said, I've heard nothing but good about the I-4 200's.

Reactions: Rlloyd