Gulfstream 232D length for moorage calculations

Roarque

Reaction score
The marina I recently moved into has advised me that my 232D has a moorage length of 31.5 feet "as measured between two brick walls". I'm not familiar with that term but I can imagine what it means. When I've measured its length, with no serious attempt to be very accurate, I thought it was about 27 feet. The boat is moored with its twin F150s fully raised but I'm still stunned by their measurement.

I might add that my boat is a stock Grady - equipped from the factory with a bow sprint and anchor and with a 'swim platform" onto which the F150s are attached.

Has anyone out there had a similar experience? I'm thinking it's a cash grab on the part of the marina but I have no recourse but to pay a higher moorage rate.

Fishtales

Reaction score
The marina I recently moved into has advised me that my 232D has a moorage length of 31.5 feet "as measured between two brick walls". I'm not familiar with that term but I can imagine what it means. When I've measured its length, with no serious attempt to be very accurate, I thought it was about 27 feet. The boat is moored with its twin F150s fully raised but I'm still stunned by their measurement.

I might add that my boat is a stock Grady - equipped from the factory with a bow sprint and anchor and with a 'swim platform" onto which the F150s are attached.

Has anyone out there had a similar experience? I'm thinking it's a cash grab on the part of the marina but I have no recourse but to pay a higher moorage rate.
Usually this means tip of the bow pulpit to the end of the engines when up. Get a buddy and a long tape and run it out. My guess is they are accurate. The center line is 23'5" not including bow pulpit/anchor, swim platform and engines when up measured from tip of skeg.

seasick

Reaction score
It means that if you backed your boat with motors raised up against a wall and then slid another wall up against the bow, the space between the walls is 31.5 ft. A boats advertised length is usually the length along the water line, which is less than the overall length. To that overall length you would add the extended length of the motor, bracket offset if any, pulpit and/of anchor roller plus anchor. Their number could be right. They might even add a fudge factor for the offset from the moorage float to the hull tie off since the line would be at an angle. If you don't have a pulpit or anchor roller bracket or a motor bracket, you might ask for an explanation of how they measure and perhaps even a joint meet to verify the measurement. I could see a 28 ft measurement but 31 1/5 sounds like a STRETCH ( pardon the pun )

Fishtales

Reaction score
I don't think you will find it is off by much, but agree they probably round up to the nearest 1/2 foot for any overage (for instance 31' 0.1" is 31'6"). The bracket on a buddy's boat was 30", not sure what it is on the Gulf. I'd guess 24" for the pulpit/roller/anchor and another 24" for the motors.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
A measurement is a measurement is a measurement. This is a black and white thing with no grey area. As long as you measure the same way they are, then your measurements should match up (with the caveat of possible "rounding"). 31' sounds about right, though. Go measure it (accurately) to find out for sure - if there's a discrepancy, then talk with the marina.

artodea

Reaction score
That sounds about right - my marina measured all the boats in their slips during the summer and my Gulfstream measured at 29' 7" with the engine tilted up (I don't have the bow pulpit). My little 23' boat is a 30-footer for the slip fee starting next summer.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
My marina asked what size the boat was. I said its an Express 265. He said ok ...26 feet. I love my marina.:)

All the marinas I have ever used over 18 years with my V20 Steplift charged me for 20 feet. No BS about motor raised or an anchor hanging off the bow.
Guess I'm just lucky?

I never understood the pricing by the size of the boat...the slip is the same size. Its not like they can sell the remaining space when a 17 is in a 23 foot slip.

Are they putting you in a bigger slip because your "23" will stick way out of the smaller slip and block the channel?
If they are charging you for 31 ft and jamming you into a 23 ft slip then I call shenanigans!

Are they lowballing the price/foot vs. other marinas to suck you in but then charging you for more feet?

Last edited:

Fishtales

Reaction score
Most are pretty fair. You sometimes run into someone that want to squeeze every last penny. If you think that is the case, I'd move on and find a new marina. If they want every penny here, you pay every penny for everything else.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
That sounds about right - my marina measured all the boats in their slips during the summer and my Gulfstream measured at 29' 7" with the engine tilted up (I don't have the bow pulpit). My little 23' boat is a 30-footer for the slip fee starting next summer.

Centerline length of a 2010 Gulfstream is 23'5". Hard to believe that a 25" XL lower unit can stick out 6 feet from its mount when raisedo_O Is an XL motor even 6 feet long in total?

Are they running a tape across the windshield?

Last edited:

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Centerline length of a 2010 Gulfstream is 23'5". Hard to believe that a 25" XL lower unit can stick out 6 feet from its mount when raisedo_O Is an XL motor even 6 feet long in total?

2' of mid-casing from the mounting point on the bracket to the lower unit, lower unit is probably 12" to 18". Plus 3', give or take, for the bracket.

artodea

Reaction score
2' of mid-casing from the mounting point on the bracket to the lower unit, lower unit is probably 12" to 18". Plus 3', give or take, for the bracket.

Right - I should have pointed that out: my Gulfstream has the Gill bracket that sets the engine back about 3'. The G2 engine tilts up higher than the Yamaha (which means the lower unit is out of the water), so the 6' or so added to the length is all engine and its mount

Fishtales

Reaction score
not often guys are complaining of size and looking for shrinkage.

couldn't help myself...

suzukidave

Reaction score
assuming it is mounted correctly, the maximum an extra long leg motor can extend from a transom or bracket is 25" plus the distance from the skeg to the bottom of the cavitation plate. typically on a v6 that is around 17".

so allow 42" +/- 5" for the motor, plus the boat's centreline hull length, plus any bracket or pulpit.