Gulfstream Auxiliary Berth Supports - Help!

tboylan

Reaction score
After being quoted $1,400 for the factory Gulfstream auxiliary cushion supports, I am now moving on to pursuing "Plan B" or "Plan C".

Guys I tried sleeping on this boat without the center cushions and I just can't get my 6' 1" frame comfortable.

Plan B: Does anyone have a support set they would want to sell me?

Plan C: Does anyone live in the CT area that owns the support set and would be willing to allow me to trace the supports? The plan would be to trace the supports on Starboard material and then cut the boards to a perfect fit.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
When you wrote "auxiliary", I thought you were referring to the pop-up bed? But it seems like you are really wanting to get the filler cushions for the main berth? I can't help with the measurements, but you can VERY easily make the template yourself since you own the boat. Start with cardboard and get it as close as you can. You can tape pieces together and use scissors to do it right there in the boat. When you think you have it good, then transfer those cardboard pieces to 1/8" hardboard that you can buy (very cheap) at Home Depot. Trim those until you're happy with the fit. Transfer that to the material you want to use for the cushion bottom (starboard may need a little extra support, such as plastic L-channel underneath) and make the pieces in however many you want. Remember when making your final bottom boards that they shouldn't fit super snug as you need to allow for the thickness of the material if you're attaching the material right to the bottom boards.

It shouldn't take much more than a couple hours to do this and you are now GUARANTEED that it will fit - as opposed to relying on someone else's measurements. As good intentioned as they might be, what if they make a mistake?

Another option would be to drop off the boat at a local upholsterer shop. I'm sure it would be less than the cushions from Grady.

tboylan

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Dennis. I think there may be additional 'L' braces attached to the boards. Can anyone confirm?

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Oh, another "medium" that works great for making templates is rigid foam board insulation. You can get this (very cheap, too) at Home Depot, too. With that, you can pretty much skip using the cardboard and hardboard and just use this stuff (it's usually pink or purple in color). It makes a mess when you trim/shape it, but it is extremely easy to work with and you can do it right there in the boat. Razor knife, sanding block, file/rasp, even an electric carving knife are all good tools. Measure the vertical dimension of the "lip" where the board will sit to figure out the thickness of the board - I'm guessing 1/2".

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Made 2 filler cushions for our 258 to replace the 1 factory cushion because we found it to large and in the way when not in use. Here's my take on it if you go for option C.

We did trace the original which helped
We used 1/2 plywood. No flex for us but a large span may require more beef
An electric staple gun was a huge help
An electric carving knife made short work of cutting the foam
Learned how to Upholster neat corners on YouTube
Inside corners were a challenge which my wife overcame (she's a genius!)

Attachments

• Boat Cushions1.jpg
    Boat Cushions1.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 4,016
  • Boat Cushions2.jpg
    Boat Cushions2.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 4,016
  • Boat Cushions3.jpg
    Boat Cushions3.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 4,016

tboylan

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Journeyman! I hope someone will let me trace their center cushion support boards. That'll be a big help especially in the case of the Gulfstream supports since the shape is not at all square.

artodea

Reaction score
PM sent - My cushions are in the process of being reupholstered. Once I get them back I can trace the outline and send it to you.

- Art

Fish- on

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Hi, I have 2000 Gulfstream I purchased 3 seasons ago. I had no auxiliary berth cushions. I had a marina make them for me. before I received them I found a set. The cushions I had made have never been on the boat. If you would like to buy them I give you a deal and i live in CT.

dgrizzly

Reaction score
Bumping a old chain in hopes of not starting a redundant thread - as a new Gulstream owner(1998 in excellent condition) I'm in the same position as the poster here.

Did anyone end up taking measurements and if so could they kindly post or DM?

Thanks so much.