Gulfstream bracket holes?

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I pulled my 1992 Gulfstream out of the water last night for the season. This is the first full year I have owned it and saw a good amount of water running out of 10, 1/4x20 holes far aft on the bottom of the Springfield bracket. Should these be plugged? What are they for?
Thanks, Joe.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You say ten holes, 1/4 inch tapped?

Are they on the bottom surface towards the rear, or elsewhere?

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yes, they are at the rear of the bracket in two recessed areas nicely laid out like somthing should or could be mounted there. Hmmmm?
Joe.

gw204

Reaction score
Sounds like someone took off the spray plates and never plugged the holes.

Remove the inspection plates and thoroughly rinse the inside of the bracket to get rid of any leftover saltwater. I would also angle the bow up so any remaining water inside the bracket can run towards the back and drain out. Leave it open all winter so it can dry. Maybe even postition a fan so it blows in one of the holes. You could even supplement that with one of those moisture absorbing can thingies.

In the spring, seal those holes with ALUMINUM machine screws or bolts.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Brian is correct.

The yamahas required a splash plate, not the merc nor OMCs. The OMCs has an option that bolted to the front of the mid section to do the same thing, had it on my 92 Johnies.

I would see if you can get a replacement splash plate from a Grady dealer and go in with flat head screws. If you can't get alum, stainelss will do, use thread sealant on screws.

The front of the motor takes a wipping of wash during certain conditions, only the newer motors have better cowl seals. Don't want the wash to enter the engine bay. The splash plate closes the gap between the bottom of drive and mid section. The plate can be cut from 3/16 in. alum plate, as well. 1/8 in. may be too thin, not sure what Springfield used.

I was surprised to see the holes were so large in diameter and as many.

On my twin bracket, there are two recesses in the casting, one for each motor.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Stainless instead of alum for the screws, not the plate, if you can't find alum. Alum is the preferred choice, IMHO.

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey Guys, Thanks for the help! There are 2 recesses. I'm going to call a dealer that has been really helpful near me to try to get replacement splash plates. Maybe with those holes plugged the scuppers won't be underwater at the dock! Thanks again, this is a great site!! Joe.