Gulfstream bracket/repower help

mhff34

Reaction score
I'm interested in a gulfstream that was just repowered with a 300 Yamaha. . The only problem is the boat rides like crap. The motor is too low in the water and bolted all the way up. No room to go higher.

The previous owner I think changed the bracket to accommodate a 350 which is a longer bracket putting the new 300 to deep. Any advise to fixing this? Should I just move on or is there a way to modify or replace existing bracket?

Thanks in advance

VeroWing

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
First you need to determine if outboard is truly at the wrong height. Quick "rule of thumb" way to check this is that cavitation plate (just above prop) should be 1" higher for every 1' back from transom, measured from transom hull bottom directly in front of where engine is mounted. If this measurement doesn't check out then your options would be: 1. raise bracket.2. possibly replace outboard lower unit/mid section with shorter one if available.3. possibly some type of jack-plate addition, or bracket alteration in mounting area. All of these options could be pricey, time consuming, and possibly not work. I would be surprised that an authorized Yamaha dealer mounted a new outboard at a height way off, and if so, maybe they should make it right if still under warranty. Maybe something else is wrong, or operator error. Is boat trimmed properly, trim tabs in optimum position, weight distribution reasonable, etc? Does outboard running the correct prop? This would mean that at full throttle, in fair seas, that RPMs would be at, or near, manufacturers recommended redline number, and not more. Some times on new outboard installs, especially singles on heavy boats, a 4-blade prop will outperform a 3-blade one, with the exception of top end, which the 3-blade will normally run a few mphs more. Lastly, these Gulfstreams are not speedboats. They are wide, heavy, and built more for comfort and sea handling ability.

Last edited:

mhff34

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the reply.

I don't own the boat. I had a deposit down and withdrew after sea trial. The motor is definitely too low, hard to steer and hard to get up on plane. After coming off plane the wake almost swamped the motor halfway above cowling.

Read here that the 350 has different mounting than the 300?

Anyway love this boat and want to buy just need to know if this is fixable.