Gulfstream - Electronics Upgrade screen options

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Good day

I have an '08 Gulfstream that I am looking to do an electronics upgrade on. As I continue to dream and plan for a bigger boat I still want maximum fishability out of the current boat.

I have some older Raymarine equipment; 12" screen, radar, older simrad autopilot. I would like to outfit with new Garmin equpiment.

Items I would like to upgrade:
- Garmin chartplotter/fishfinder
- Garmin radar
- Garmin autopilot
- Second screen on dash? Second screen at back of boat?
- FIshhawk installed

The question I have is what screen sizes have people gone up too? Do you have layout pics on your dash? Worth doing 2 screens?

Any other electronics, or differenct electronics you would suggest?

Thanks
BB

doug228

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have no complaints with my 9.9 high thrust on my 228. Ive seen plenty of sailfish with 9.9 high thrusts.

Reactions: Bird Blaster

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Put a photo or two up of your helm and overhead box if you have one. For me two screens are a minimum and bigger is better. Decide if the displays can be flush mounted, in the boxes or bolted on. Equipment selection is easy once you know how you are mounting things. Then list your various use cases (fish finder with CHIRP, sidescan capability, HD radar, etc.).

8612 frame.jpeg Overhead bx.jpeg

Reactions: Bird Blaster

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I just bought the Garmin 943xsv for my 2004 GW 228 Seafarer and I really enjoy everything about it. The 228 being a slightly smaller boat made me think that a 12” screen wasn’t really needed, and I think I made the right decision. If you’re looking for 12” Garmin displays, they make a 1243xsv that does pretty much anything you can think of, although it is touchscreen only, so if you do want something with buttons then you’d want to look at something else. I picked the 943xsv because it has SideVu, ClearVu and traditional Chirp sonar, great resolution, is Panoptix as well as radar and autopilot compatible if I ever wanted to go that route in the future and it fit my budget of trying to get an MFD and transducer for right around $1,500. Of which my setup total was just over $1,600. You could always go with twin 1243xsv’s if you’re considering touchscreen units? Not the best of pictures but I mounted mine in the electronics box behind the steering wheel. At some point I might flush mount it, but I’m still not sure yet.

69775386-F61B-4DD0-A3E9-B040976E5D8B.jpeg

Last edited:

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for the info.
Looking at twin 1243's and I should have room for the autopilot screen still.
I think that’s a good decision and when I was looking before at radar, I had my eye on the Garmin Fantom radar units. They have the auto tracking feature for boats and aren’t much more money than the base model Garmin radar units. They’ve got the Garmin Fantom 18 that I was looking at, which is around $1,700 or they’ve got an “X” model that’s slightly more powerful for around $2k and then the Fantom 24x is close to $3k. Just depends on your budget and fishing/boating needs.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I think that’s a good decision and when I was looking before at radar, I had my eye on the Garmin Fantom radar units. They have the auto tracking feature for boats and aren’t much more money than the base model Garmin radar units. They’ve got the Garmin Fantom 18 that I was looking at, which is around $1,700 or they’ve got an “X” model that’s slightly more powerful for around $2k and then the Fantom 24x is close to $3k. Just depends on your budget and fishing/boating needs.
Awesome!

I don't think I need a hugely powerful radar. I'm on Lake Superior and I'm never that far offshore.

Been out for the last week fishing and I have decided to drop the kicker from the equation. I can keep it always between 2-2.2-2.6mph on fishhawk w a single or twin regardless of current.

Reactions: Mustang65fbk

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Awesome!

I don't think I need a hugely powerful radar. I'm on Lake Superior and I'm never that far offshore.

Been out for the last week fishing and I have decided to drop the kicker from the equation. I can keep it always between 2-2.2-2.6mph on fishhawk w a single or twin regardless of current.
I agree. The Garmin Fantom 18 has a maximum range of 48 miles, which is more miles than I’ll likely go in a month or so. But it also has a great short range of 20’, which is better than the other cheaper Garmin radar units. I could see if you were an offshore guy taking your boat out 40-50 miles or more every weekend then yes, there could be a potential need for having something that extreme, or greater. The Fantom 18x I believe has a few more bells and whistles and is a slightly better unit for around $2k, which might be justifiable depending on your needs and budget. I’d check them both out on the Garmin website and compare the two as it’s been months since I last looked at radar. Good luck!

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If you go xx43 series add the xsv option. 1243xsv, 943xsv so you have sonar options. I would do both units as I did for maximum flexibility with two different transducers.

5-Salt

Reaction score
Model
Voyager
Garmin is HQ'd about 8miles from my place and yet..... I just purchased Simrad NSX 12in Screen with 3-in-1 Chirp transponder, and Halo 24mile Radar Dome.
Comes loaded with C-Map Discover-X Charts including Bathymetry down to 1ft contours.

I was looking to for Fishfinder screen size and capability upgrade over 9in Lowrance Unit and wanted color radar to replace long serving Furuno B&W 24nm radar.

Just had better support from SIMRAD/Lowrance than with Garmin over past 10years.
Couple of friends went with Garmin comparable models, both professionally installed by authorized dealer they are nice systems to be sure. Both had 1-2 nagging issues - all of which have been resolved....but pain to have to return boat to installer in middle of season etc..

Ton of have has great experience with Garmin and they nice systems but given offshore the Fishfinder reviews, and features for the price, Simrad NSX calculated out to a better investment for my needs.

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Thanks for all of the replies.
Got my stuff ordered and planned through GW dealer.

2x 1243xsv
1kw airmar in hull
Fantom 18 raydome
Reactor 40 autopilot + screen
Fishhawk x4
Panoptix PS30 as it seems to have better reviews for the application for salmon trolling.

VHF and autopilot screen will be flush mounted in the overhead E box so that I can fit the 2x12" screens and my spotlight control

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Thanks for all of the replies.
Got my stuff ordered and planned through GW dealer.

2x 1243xsv
1kw airmar in hull
Fantom 18 raydome
Reactor 40 autopilot + screen
Fishhawk x4
Panoptix PS30 as it seems to have better reviews for the application for salmon trolling.

VHF and autopilot screen will be flush mounted in the overhead E box so that I can fit the 2x12" screens and my spotlight control
Let me know how the Panoptix performs. I’ve been curious about using it while trolling for salmon in the saltwater and have heard a few mixed things about it.