Gulfstream Helm Console Upgrade

Workdog

Reaction score
First time I'm adding pics to a thread here, so here goes. This past May, I refurbed the electronics console in the helm of my Gulfstream. I didn't like having to look under the flip up door to see my electronics, so my plan was to flush mount new electronics. But, I wanted an option where I could still use the storage of the electronics cabinet without cutting a hole in the top of the cabinet. What I did instead was to buy a piece of makrolon (Lexan), cut it to size, and add side "ears" to close in the front of the cabinet. To ease the strain on my neck, I have the front glass set at an angle with a beveled lower front edge so it lays flat against the tray in front of the cabinet. When I'm at the helm, I can look straight at the GPS/Sonars without bending over. The top of the new glass (makrolon) door has a full length hinge routered in so the hinge is practically invisible from the outside of the cabinet. The side panels of the glass door are also of makrolon which are glued using a special plastic epoxy (bought at Lowe's). I'm able to access plastic bins which I store in the cabinet through the front when the glass and instruments are tilted up. Whaddaya think? The top photo is the original electronics cabinet, the second one is of the new glass front tilted up. The last is with the glass door down. The left unit is an 8 1/2" Lowrance combo unit and the right is a 5" Lowrance GPS. Both are networked together. After a full fishing season with it under my belt, I'm am very satisfied with how it turned out. Gravity holds the glass panel down in place (with hinge at top) without any bouncing or rattles.

Old Electronics Cabinet:
Old%20Electronics%20Cabinet%20Open.jpg

With new Door Held up by support spring (if I lift the door higher, I can put plastic bins and stuff into the cabinet):
Open%20Console%20Gulfstream%20Helm.jpg

With Door Down in Place for Operation:
Closed%20Console%20Gulfstream%20Helm.jpg

I opted for the black "Lexan" look to match the black Lexan of the cabin door lid and tackle station doors. It seemed to me that an 8 1/2" unit was the biggest I could put in the cabinet without major fiberglass cutting.

232 GULF

Reaction score
Looks like a job very well done. Kudos for creativity. If I end up keeping this boat I may try to rig up something like you've got. Thanks for posting.

outnabout

Reaction score
electronics box

Would you be interested in making another Willing to purchase.?

Workdog

Reaction score
Outnabout,
This wasn't a really difficult project, just very time consuming. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time at the moment with work and some family medical issues. Another thing is, the hole sizes for your instruments. It was much easier for me to cut those holes before I epoxied the wings on.

As you asked in the board mail, Makrolon/Lexan/polycarbonate was hard to find in small quantities. A big panel of the stuff is very expensive (to me at least). I ordered my 1' X 2' X .375" piece from Interstate Plastics off the internet. It was grey, because that was the only piece of .375" they had available, and I spray painted the back of the finished panel black so that it looks black (and it's shiney) from the front. The piece cost $15, plus $15 small order fee and $15 shipping. You might be able to go way cheaper if you have a big custom glass/plastic shop nearby. I bought the epoxy in a tube from Lowe's. It has to be specifically for bonding Lexan/polycarbonates. The polycarbonate comes with sticky paper on both sides. Leave that on the piece for as long as you can to protect it from scratching. The good thing about this stuff is that it is very easy to cut with a saw and router, and to drill. I worried about that, because in the past cutting other types of plastic, the plastic would remelt back together from the heat of the saw blade. This stuff cuts like Starboard, maybe better.

The front panel is trapezoid shaped, 20 5/8" at the top, 23 3/4" on the bottom, 9" high, and the inside angles of the sides at the bottom is 79 degrees. The bottom edge is cut on an angle so that when tilted back in its finished position, the bottom edge lays flat in the tray in front of the instrument box. Because of the lip in the tray right in front of the compass, you cannot bring the bottom edge of the Makrolon too far out or it will not clear the top of the tray as you tilt the finished door panel up to access the instrument box.

After the front panel was cut, I got a stainless steel piano hinge, cut to size with a sawzall and sharp edges buffed with a grinder, and routered out a recess at the top inside edge of the door panel for the hinge to fit in. Don't place the hinge too far down because when you attach the door to the fiberglass enclosure, the top edge of the door panel might impact the top of the fiberglass enclosure frame behind it restricting how high you can raise the door panel. I used small countersunk flatheaded screws to attach the hinge to the door panel and the hinge to the fiberglass enclosure frame. On the frame, you will have nylock nuts inside the instrument panel so that on the door side you have the flatbolt head side. On the door side of the hinge, the countersunk bolt head will obviously be exposed on the outside of the door panel (it will be flush with the face of the door panel if countersunk correctly--before final installation you will spray paint the bolt heads black to match the door panel color). On the inside, you will need to use the flattest nut you can find (can't use nylock nuts, they're to tall), and saw off the remaining stem of the bolt, so that you have enough relief to close the door panel without the bolt causing a hangup on the other side of the hinge. On the bolts I used to attach the hinge to the frame, I used long enough bolts so I could attach plastic zip fasteners and add another nut on top of that to use to hold the wire cables from the units mounted on the door. Once you test mount the door panel you can decide the location for the spring to hold the door in the desired open position. Just make sure wherever you place the spring mount, that you give clearance for the right edge of the unit mounted in the door panel.

The little "wings" that close in the sides of the new instrument panel door are a little more difficult to craft. With the front panel layed into position, I measured the angles at the base of the door panel and at the top from the door frame to the tilted door with a protractor-like device. Then cut the pieces. I had a desktop belt sander set up on a table in the boat and I rounded off the back lower corner and adjusted the back and lower sides till the wings dry fit good. To get a good dry fit at the bottom edge of the wings, the bottom edges also have to be beveled because the wings fit at an angle on the front panel.

Straight cuts, and beveled edge of the front panel, were done with a table saw using a small toothed carbon tipped blade. The holes for the two GPS's were made by tracing out the hole sizes onto the paper covered Makrolon, then using an appropriate sized hole saw drill bit for the corners. The interior straight edges were cut with a coping saw (take the blade off the saw and reassemble the saw with the blade inside one of the drilled holes). I didn't want to cut the straight edges of the instrument holes with a jig saw because the foot of the jig saw could mar the plastic surface of the panel.

At this point I used a rotary sander with fine paper to smooth the edges of the door panel. If you cut the panel with a nice sharp table saw blade this doesn't take too much effort. I then used a wet 600 and 800 paper to polish the edges of the front panel. It should turn out pretty close to mirror like. I used a finer window polish then to get a mirror finish on the edges.

Now you can glue the wings to the front door panel (on the underside of the door). Use a polycarbonate glue. I scrapped excess glue on the inside of the door panel, because then you will probably want to glue on filet strips of leftover Makrolon to give a larger bonded surface to the wings on the inside of the door. Any glue that oozes out on the visible side of the door panel I carefully scrapped up with an exacto blade. After the door sets up, hopefully you didn't let much epoxy ooze out on the outside of the bonding surface. If so, you can carefully cut with a sharp blade and repolish.

Take your door panel with wings out to the boat and see how it fits. You will probably need your desktop belt sander to make final adjustments to the door so that it fits snuggly. When it all looks good, and wing edges are polished to your liking, Reassemble hinge and instruments, sit back and finish the last of your 3 cases of beer. If you have bought a grey Makrolon panel, you will now paint the inside. Remove the hinge, tape the outside "show" surfaces of the door panel and spray paint the inside of the panel a gloss black. After it dries reassemble and you are done.

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: electronics box

232 GULF said:
outnabout said:

Not sure what you meant or if it was even directed at me...?

Sounds like he likes what you made and is wondering if you would be interested in making him one that he could purchase from you.

Workdog

Reaction score
Re: electronics box

Gman25 said:
232 GULF said:
outnabout said:

Not sure what you meant or if it was even directed at me...?

Sounds like he likes what you made and is wondering if you would be interested in making him one that he could purchase from you.
Gman, I was the one who started this thread. I have been board mailing with outnabout, answering his questions.
Workdog

A

Anonymous

Nice work/job. I was thinking along the same ideas when its time to upgrade to a larger screen.

Bokat

Reaction score
I did something similar to my Gulfstream elec. box. I just removed the door and took it to a plastic fabricator along with the templates for my electronics. I told him to match the door exactly and then cut the holes for the electronics. It cost $70. When I got the new door back I assembled all the pieces on the new door and I still have the old door if I want to go back to that configuation. I can use the storage in the elec. box and I don't seem to need to tilt the door up to see the screens although I could if I wanted to. It would need additional support if I wanted to use it that way. A quick peek by bending down slightly while standing up seems to be sufficient for me and I'm tall (6'3"). My electronics mounted in the door are a Garmin 2006c and a Raymarine ST 5000 a/p. Thanks for the post on your mod.

Workdog

Reaction score
Thanks all for the comments. With some back and neck damage from my flying days, I really needed tilted units so I didn't have to bend over and tilt my head up to see the screens clearly. I'm only 6' 1" but this relief has helped immensely, and really aids in a good crosscheck of instruments while running.

Bokat

Reaction score
Workdog,

What kind of flying were you doing to have back and neck damage, fighter pilot? I'm a retired Delta pilot myself and before that, USAF KC-135.

Workdog

Reaction score
Bokat said:
Workdog,

What kind of flying were you doing to have back and neck damage, fighter pilot? I'm a retired Delta pilot myself and before that, USAF KC-135.
Bokat,
I was an F-111D & F-111F WSO. Two tours at Cannon and two at Lakenheath. Yes, we pulled G's :lol: Maybe too many ham-fisted pilots... :wink:

Bokat

Reaction score
Workdog,

Sorry about the slow response. The email notification on this post went to my spam folder and I just now saw it.

I spent a few days TDY in Mildenhall in Nov. - Dec. 76' but didn't refuel any 111's. Enjoy your boat and mod.

Bokat