Gulfstream Live Well operation

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hello all,

My first Grady. My 92 Gulfstream 232 has a decent livewell behind the passenger seat. I'm used to seeing some sort of stand-pipe, but this doesn't have one. Do I need one? If so, what size? I've never used a livewell before so I'd be interested in some tips.

Do I just turn it on and leave it on all day while fishing? Does it aerate the water or somehow refresh old water to keep bait alive?

thanks for your comments.

John

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Hi John. Congrats on the Gulfstream!

Yup, you need a stand pipe. I don't have one at home to measure, but I'm guessing it is about 1.5" in diameter. I've only seen two sizes in boating stores, a fat one and a skinny one. Grady uses the fat one. How's that for technical talk!?

To operate, you have to open up the seacock that is inline with your live-well pump in the bilge. There may be an extension handle up high in the bilge so you don't have to reach down to the bottom of the bilge. And there might be two such seacocks; One for the live-well and the other for a raw water wash-down, if your boat has that option.

After opening the seacock, just hit the helm switch to power the pump. The live-well should begin filling immediately.

When running with some speed and with the seacock open, water will get pushed into the live-well even with the pump turned off. For that reason, and for safety, its always a good idea to close the seacock when not running the live well.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Finatic

Reaction score
I have a 2000 Gulfstream and the water intake for the livewell is located on the side, there is additional pieces needed for the livewell. Just put the drain plug in and then cycle the pump every 30-45 minutes based upon the number and size of the baits. Good luck.

JJRJR

Reaction score
very helpful, thanks so much.

suzukidave

Reaction score
as i mentioned in your other thread, my 223 from that era has the livewell tub with a drain and a livewell/washdown label on a helm switch but there is no livewell, no stand pipe installed in the tub and no water pickup through the hull or seacocks or any other plumbing for a livewell. the washdown works off a fresh water tank located in the bilge.

if you are in that situation, the cheapest solution is to install an aerator and manually fill the tub with a bucket when needed. this will not work as well as a true livewell but retrofitting a livewell is a fairly major job.