Gulfstream Power

mjmwelder77

Reaction score
I know the general opinon is the Gulfstream is better with twin outboards,
but I would like some feedback on the Gulfstream with a single Yamaha
225 Fourstroke or the Yamaha 250 0X66 Saltwater series engine.Also how much of a gas guzzler would the 0X66 be?

bea5454

Reaction score
I have a Gulfstream w/F250. As others have noted, the twins offer far improved manuverability and hole shot. Nonetheless, I have been pleased with the F250.

With near-constant chop, opportunities to go much faster are relatively few. I wish it would plane at slightly lower speed, and find myself cruising at 4700 - 4800 rpm, but 90%+ of the time it is fine.

That said, I would be highly cautious about a F225. I believe they only rigged the 232 with such until the F250 came out and I would expect such to really lag -- especially with any fuel or weight on-board. The F225 is fine with the 226/8, but these have significantly less beam and weight.

catch22

Reaction score
I had a 91 Gulfstream, with a 2000 250 ox66. All around performance was fine, but it was a bit thirsty.

Cruise, with a light load, was around 27 mph @ 4500 rpm, 15/16 gph.

The Gulfstream is a heavy boat and with a single outboard you need to be over 4000 rpm just to stay on plane.

I totally agree with 5454... I would be very leary about a 225 4-stroke on that hull. Especially since they're only rated at a little over 200 hp, at the prop. At least that's what I've heard.

North River Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have been looking into upgrading from a 209 Escape to a newer used Gulfstream. I testdrove a brandnew 2009 w/ a F350 and while it was tempting, it is hard to justify the price vs used for 4-5 month season if lucky. I have been in discussions on an '06 w/ a F250 at a decent price but I want to make sure that the F250 is going to be enough to keep me happy for the next ten years or so. Any input would be appreciated.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
GW 209 ESCAPE said:
I have been looking into upgrading from a 209 Escape to a newer used Gulfstream. I testdrove a brandnew 2009 w/ a F350 and while it was tempting, it is hard to justify the price vs used for 4-5 month season if lucky. I have been in discussions on an '06 w/ a F250 at a decent price but I want to make sure that the F250 is going to be enough to keep me happy for the next ten years or so. Any input would be appreciated.

i haven't been on one with a single, but i can tell you handling with twins was great (attach standard disclaimers for small boat handling in high wind/current, etc., etc.). as far as power, i had twin f200's that pushed the 232 very nicely. i rarely cruised more than 30mph and it had an mpg of about 2.25. i would make sure you are happy with handling/performance of the f250 before you buy it. ron

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I woned a Gulfstream with the F225 prior to m sailfish. For the most part the 225 is adequate. Not ideal but I never had any issues - It would take a few seconds to get on a plane in rough water with 6 people but ther than that no real issues. It was all I could afford at the time and I had no regrets

striped bass

Reaction score
welder77
Many GW dealers as well as at the boat shows have featured the 232 Gulf stream with the F350. In the water the F350 looks like a good fit for the Gulfstream. As Escape points out a new Gulfstream with an F350 may seem expensive. The power and longevity/useability of a newer Gulfstream with an F350 would balance out over time IMHO. I would do like Escape did and take a sea trial.

SlimJim

Reaction score
OX66 is going to drink a lot of gas, the F225 is not going to be enough for that 9.3 beam/heavy boat. The F225 is a great engine but its on the doggie side. I would not go with anything under a 250hp ENGINE on that boat. I would only go with twins on that boat.

Kenlahr

Reaction score
I put over 1000 offshore canyon running hours on a 2001 Gulfstream with an ox66 225. She ran great at 4700 to 4800 RPM which was about 26 to 28 Kts. On a typical trip out ~70 mile average, we would burn about 100 gal of fuel each trip. Not to mention the fact that the eng is working hard at 4800 rmp. I kept an agressive maintance schedule and she never failed us. In the Bay chasing Rock Fish, it was great.

I have a bit of a different view than most about the Gulfstream. I have been on several (1998 - 2005) and I swear that the Round-Tuit ran better with a single. Ya had to push the throttles forward and be agressive with the trim, but I out-ran several twin Gulfstreams to the weigh stations because they were bow slamming (their words not mine) while I was digging in. The single Gulfstream responds better to trim. I will say that those who rode with me had rain gear or got wet; when you push the bow down the water goes somewhere! We ran that boat in weather that most 23 to 25 guys stayed home in thats for sure. When it came to handeling, that was a trick. I completely embarassed myself at Hatteras Landing one year by not being able to get it into a slip with any grace what-so-ever. It took several YEARS to master it. I really did practice, ALOT. But once mastered, I had no issues in any situation. Keep in mind I was running that boat 300 hours a year or more.
just mho, hope it helps

North River Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thank you all for the input, it has been helpful and keep it coming. I am still leaning toward the 2006 w/ F250 mainly for financial feasability, but I am still thinking about the other options as well.